*sigh*, ok ok, I give....I need to get IRC savvy

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
[Ci]Flame said:
To join another server while in mIRC, I just hit File, Options, Connect, select the server I want to join and check the box "New Server Window". Tada! Done.

This also assumes your running version 6 or better for mirc.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
HF and Rene, if you guys can get on to progameplayer, make sure you register and auth your nicks with NickServ (you should get instructions when you join the server).

then go to #fragbu and I'll make both of you channel OPs. Rev Whoop, if you see this (or your PM) I wanna make you an OP too

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
WebSlinger said:
HF and Rene, if you guys can get on to progameplayer, make sure you register and auth your nicks with NickServ (you should get instructions when you join the server).

then go to #fragbu and I'll make both of you channel OPs. Rev Whoop, if you see this (or your PM) I wanna make you an OP too

Okey Dokey!

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
au contraire

Mostly, the reason people are OPed is so they can change the Channel topic with late-breaking information. The people who are OP'd (or who will be OPed) have been chosen for specific reasons:
  • Rev: has setup The Web for FragBU in my absense.
  • Flame: has setup her and Mr. Flame's server when The Web craps out.
  • Hanover: has setup TS server
  • RenegadeRetard: my personal whipping boy
So, I hope that makes you feel better about it. I'm not just picking faves.
:)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
irc://irc.progameplayer.com/Macrocosm should work.

#Macrocosm is my private channel on irc.progameplayer.com if you're on progameplayer please save the the trouble of getting after you for not being in there. Oh and be carefull of ryn she bites.

Advanced irc features
All this joining stuff can get annoying. Ya either gotta use the /server command or you do like flame does select your server etc etc takes a bit. Then there's nickserv! UGH! Wouldn't it be nice if you started up mirc and it connected to everywhere you wanted to be instantly? Say no more if you follow these steps then you start mirc and everything happens instantly for you.

Ok first press alt+a this will open up the aliases dialogue. Aliases is how you make your own command. for instance adding a line in there that says

/test /say This is a test this is only a test

Then when you go into mirc and type /test you'll send that message to the channel. You can do it for other things too. Add the following into your aliases

/startconnect {
/server rc.progameplayer.com -j #fragbu
/server -m irc.enterthegame.net -j #beyondunreal
}

Now restart mirc and type /startconnect and it'll instantly start connecting to those two servers and channels. Nice huh? But what if we want it to do it as soon as you start up mirc without you having to do a thing? That's what remotes are for. Remotes are how you say when an event happens do this. You'll notice that when your looking at that aliases window there's a tab that says remotes. Click it and add this line:

on *:start:/startconnect

Now restart mirc and voilla your automatically connected. Now what about pesky nickserv? If you've used nickserv you have to type /indentify password which is annoying. That's what the perform window is for. Goto file then options then expand Connect and click on perform. Then just add in there

/msg nickserv identify password

Now whenever you join a server it'll automatically identify with nickserv. You can also add channel joins and whatnot. For instance if I want to join #clanci when i get on progame player I just add

if (progameplayer isin $server) { join #ClanCi }

For more info about aliases remotes and other features I haven't talked about (popups timers etc) read the mirc help file it's all in there.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah see you guys can work irc you just gotta spend some time figuring it out. You can't just expect to run the program and understand everything the first time your going to have to work at it. Alterativly you can't just come into my channel and really understand a thing of what's going on. You have to sit and listen to my entire spill about cuddling and therians.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Ok, I was able to get onto the EntertheGame network (or channel or whatever you call it...) but I couldn't connect to ProGamePlayer...that channel wasn't in the pulldown menu and wouldn't add it either. :(

mIRC could be a little more user friendly, seems to be somewhat patched together....the pulldowns at the top of the page change when you're linked up, that's not good, they should stay the same.

anyway, thanks for the help :D

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
irc.progameplayer.com for some reason is not listed in alphabetical order in the pulldown menu. It's the very last one on the list.

Agreed about not being user friendly. IRC appears to be written not for the every day man, but for progammers and such. Takes a lot of getting used to.

*NiKita*

aka Flame
Dec 6, 2002
Ohio
www.atomicrage.net
Hanover_Fist said:
Ok, I was able to get onto the EntertheGame network (or channel or whatever you call it...) but I couldn't connect to ProGamePlayer...that channel wasn't in the pulldown menu and wouldn't add it either. :(

I sent you the instruction on how to add it....why didn't it work? What happened when you tried?

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
[Ci]Flame said:
I sent you the instruction on how to add it....why didn't it work? What happened when you tried?

I'm not sure why it didn't work, it may have worked in some sense but I'm at "work" right now so I can't tell you exactly what may or may not have gone wrong.

It may be the fact that I'm not sure what is exactly supposed to happen or what the screen is supposed to look like when a certain action or command takes place.

It's not like when you connect to something you get a big "TAAA-DAAA, WELCOME TO IRC".

I just connected and typed "hello" and got no response. I can see a table of those that are connected (or have accounts or 'something'.........?) on the right hand of the screen.......but i'm not sure what all the symbols mean, like "@"...."+".......but I don't see any conversation, and no one responds to my "hello".....I just don't know what's going on.......if i'm on an empty channel or what?

Occasionally, when i'm playing a game online, someone new to online gaming will ask "Am I playing against REAL people?"....... IRC sorta feels like that.

:lol:

*NiKita*

aka Flame
Dec 6, 2002
Ohio
www.atomicrage.net
Hanover_Fist said:
I just connected and typed "hello" and got no response. I can see a table of those that are connected (or have accounts or 'something'.........?) on the right hand of the screen.......but i'm not sure what all the symbols mean, like "@"...."+".......but I don't see any conversation, and no one responds to my "hello".....I just don't know what's going on.......if i'm on an empty channel or what?
K...if you are in an empty channel there will be no names there except for your own. the @ means those people are "opped", giving them control over the people that join the channel. They can kick people, op others, set the topic of the day, etc. The + means those people are voiced. You don't need the + to chat though.

Many people "idle" in a lot of channels. They are there but just don't chat much. People leave their IRC up while they go play the game, while they are at work, etc. Most of the time if someone is there but "not there" you will see an AFK after their name (away from keyboard).

So, chances are you logged on and said hello and no one was really around. :)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Han, when were you on and what channel were you in (#fragbu, #theweb, etc)?

I was in both #fragbu and #theweb from about 8:00 to 9:30 cst, but didn't see you.

If you want, we can get on TS tonight and I can talk you through it (what little bit I know). PM me if you want to set up a time.

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
One thing I see people do in IRC is the join a channel say hello/ask if anyone's around and then leave the channel right away or within a very short period of time...

Sometimes people are afk so if you join up and no one responds right away just stay in the channel... ;)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
[Ci]Flame said:
Many people "idle" in a lot of channels. They are there but just don't chat much. People leave their IRC up while they go play the game, while they are at work, etc. Most of the time if someone is there but "not there" you will see an AFK after their name (away from keyboard).

So, chances are you logged on and said hello and no one was really around. :)

ok, that makes sense, i wasn't on last night, just this morning. So it's prolly that nobody was around but connected.

It works exactly like the UT2k3 Chat right? If it does then I'm ok with it.

Nice Sig btw, did you do that yourself?.........it's kinda fits you too (seeing as how you look so much like 'Trinity' ;))