Epic 'Not Currently Working On An Unreal" Game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
As far as Unreal being stale, I dont believe that to be true. If EPIC made a new Single player/Co-op game Unreal game IN HOUSE and gave it the TLC that Gears is getting, I have no doubt it'd be a triple A title.
That being said, Gears of War made a bigger splash for their Unreal Engine than UT3 did. I suspect they will focus on the Gears IP heavily while launching the new engine.

Another Unreal will come eventually, but it will be a far time off and probably wont get the development attention it deserves until its a good business decision to back off the Gears IP.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A fourth game was confirmed way back in January.

1686072-gearsofwarexile_super.jpg

Enjoy.
I don't know that I would say it was "confirmed". Information was uncovered about the existence of some kind of project.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Epic's core game making philosophy of "when everyone says it's done, keep polishing!" came from our experiences with Unreal Tournament 3

UT2007 has been in development for a while now. How is everything progressing?

Mark Rein: It's coming along pretty well, there's a lot of work to do. You know, UT is a game that has a lot of content, a lot of levels; it takes a long time - especially now with next-generation-quality artwork to get that all done and polished. Plus UT is such an important franchise to us we really want to take our time and get it right - that's why we've never really had a release date for this game, it's just when it's done, which really surprised us when people wrote 'the game is delayed' - what do you mean the game is delayed? All we said was that it's not coming this year, that doesn't mean it's delayed. We confirmed to people; don't save you money for this game for Christmas because you won't be getting it. Buy Gears of War (laughs).

"when everyone says it's done, keep polishing!"

Was a line they trotted out while they were hyping UT3.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Your Google sucks compared to mine.

"Epic Games has filed three trademarks for something called Gears of War: Exile."

Link
I don't see the word "confirmed" in anything you just linked to :p A filed trademark doesn't mean much.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Desaturated my ass. The original Unreal had a good enough setting to make an epic sequel with the good old unreal feel, but instead they outsourced it and turned it into some shitty b-rate sci-fi movie game. The single player mapping community has plenty of great ideas to suck out from the original setting and have made plenty of campaigns that are both aesthetically pleasing and fun to play. If a studio the size of Epic would seriously undertake making an Unreal sequel and kept it true to the original setting (Na Pali was pretty damn fucking perfect, the ancient vs dark tech setting was so good and only went to produce awesome feats of level design) they would sell bucketloads.

Though I bet the next Unreal title (unless it's another 'tournament' game) will have regenerating health and 4 weapons, not to mention chest-high walls, no jumping and linear level design.

They could just continue the story from more or less where Unreal ended. Imagine if instead of that stupid bullcrap plot we had in Unreal 2 they would have followed off with another game on Na Pali that would explore more of the mysteries of that planet. I mean, it had tons of potential. I mean, U2 would have been a million times more faithful to the franchise if instead of that stupid race in the second game would have been replaced by the Nali. At least they were already a developed race, what with all of their mysterious gods and all that jazz. I pretty much always imagined their 'gods' were just their highly advanced ancestors or some shit, you know, with Vandora and her flaming chariot from the sky. Also, they could fucking levitate, man, how cool is that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpr0tUPA1Rk

God, how the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Never could understand the hype behind the game. I have tried playing it on 3 different occasions and have gotten bored around the time I found the minigun type weapon. One thing it does have going for it is the soundtrack but other than that I just can't get drawn in.

Gubbubu

Nov 1, 2011
Budapest (Hungary)
This firm is completely mad. First they drop Unreal 2 into Legend Entertainments, now they drop Unreal 3 into the arms of God of Nihil. Unreal3 could be not only a new legendary game, but a financial success if they don't do halfwork. I'm soooooo disappointed.