Steam version UT99 Dedicated Server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Noik

O_o
Jun 11, 2005
netherlands
xray.messageboard.nl
Hey all, been a while since I've been on these forums, but lately, I've been playing the old UT more and more with friends. Though, a common issue we face is that when joining public servers, there are people out there with some pretty scary good skills and we end up getting our casual match ran over by more pro players.

So, I'm working on running a Dedicated Server which is running fairly good so far. It is ran from a Netbook I had lying around, the specifications are as followed: Intel Atom N570 (dual core, HT, 1.6 GHz), 2GB RAM, connected through LAN directly to the modem.

Hopefully this is fast enough, I don't imagine this old game would need a beast of a server. Or will this still meet the occasional hiccup during play? (Player max is 16 for now.)

Further things I've done so far is forwarding ports in both the modem and the firewall on the Netbook itself, ports forwarded are 7777 to 7781, 8888, 8777, 27900 and 8080, all both on UDP and TCP though I believe only UDP is needed? If not, which need TCP?

ServerAdmin also works great so I can change settings from anywhere. Lastly, UT has also been updated to 451b, I read the Patch Notes and it seems to fix a lot of vulnerabilities and other net issues 436 had.

(Main question is asked here, but setup info and questions about it is mostly described above.)

Now, the main reason why I wrote this topic is that I noticed there are two ways to start a Dedicated Server, main way seems to be from in-game, and the other by starting or hooking a Batch-file to the program named UCC.exe in the System folder. I wonder if one of the two ways is more recommended over the other.

It seems easier to start it from within the game, but is still possible to add mods and mutators that way? I suppose by adding them from the mutator list and adding them to the server packages in UnrealTournament.ini? (Also, where to host these files, can they be hosted on the Netbook itself?)

Lastly, a mod I'd really like to have is a simple mapvote, how can this be added to the server and work for people joining the game?

Last edited:

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Hi there!

From the top of my head I can't answer the port-forwarding part, it seems OK but I don't remember it that clearly, I guess you'll have to try it out ;)

Server launch part: as far as I know there's no difference between ingame method and ucc.exe. Your guess about adding mutator is right on point ;) Btw, here's an example of launching it with a batch file (wee bit of fancy stuff with random map selection):
Code:
set MIN=1
set MAX=5
set /a R=MIN+(MAX-MIN+1) * %random%/32768

if %R%==1 start "server UT" /min /ABOVENORMAL .\System\UCC server DM-Agony.unr?Game=EUT_1G.EUTDeathMatchPlus?mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote,NoInvisibility.NoInvisibility  -ini=unrealtournamentB.ini -userini=userB.ini port=7777
if %R%==2 start "server UT" /min /ABOVENORMAL .\System\UCC server DM-1on1-Revenge.unr?Game=EUT_1G.EUTDeathMatchPlus?mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote,NoInvisibility.NoInvisibility  -ini=unrealtournamentB.ini -userini=userB.ini port=7777
if %R%==3 start "server UT" /min /ABOVENORMAL .\System\UCC server DM-Alpu-TOURNEY.unr?Game=EUT_1G.EUTDeathMatchPlus?mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote,NoInvisibility.NoInvisibility  -ini=unrealtournamentB.ini -userini=userB.ini port=7777
if %R%==4 start "server UT" /min /ABOVENORMAL .\System\UCC server DM-Codex.unr?Game=EUT_1G.EUTDeathMatchPlus?mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote,NoInvisibility.NoInvisibility  -ini=unrealtournamentB.ini -userini=userB.ini port=7777
if %R%==5 start "server UT" /min /ABOVENORMAL .\System\UCC server DM-1on1-Tonnberry.unr?Game=EUT_1G.EUTDeathMatchPlus?mutator=MapVoteLA13.BDBMapVote,NoInvisibility.NoInvisibility  -ini=unrealtournamentB.ini -userini=userB.ini port=7777

And speaking of mapvote I think I can recommend "mapvote la13". I can post packages I use but they date back to 2005 =) You probably will be able to find a newer version on the web ;)

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
"...Also, where to host these files, can they be hosted on the Netbook itself..."
Yes but it is more advisable to put them on a redirect so people connecting and downloading files don't take bandwidth from people playing on the server. I don't recall if you need to compress UT99 files but if so google tinyuz2. It is an app to compress files to a uz2 format.

Glider of chaos

Ready 2 Fight !
Jan 25, 2004
Russia, St-Petersburg
Oh, yeah, about compression and redirection.
It's not necessary for little packages like mapvote but it's really nice for maps and texture/sound packs as game artificially limits upload speed and redirecting solves this. I recommend to read this to learn how to do it