I need a masked texture...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
Hey gang,

Anybody aware of a masked texture (UEd2) of a single wire, like that stretched between two telephone poles? Preferably with a little sag in it... I'll make one if I have two but I was hoping it might be out there somewhere.

Hort

The_Achilles

Feb 22, 2004
I'd say you just have to add a nonsolid sheet and apply the wire-texture on it. Then you have to rightclick on the texture, choose surface properties and select the "masked" flag.

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
The_Achilles said:
I'd say you just have to add a nonsolid sheet and apply the wire-texture on it. Then you have to rightclick on the texture, choose surface properties and select the "masked" flag.

Yes I know-- but I don't have the proper "wire" texture to begin with- or is there a standard UT tex I am overlooking?

So this is where you been hiding out eh? We missed you in the ONS contest over at UP... But 99 per cent of us are not sorry you didn't enter... ;)

Oh yeah btw if you want to make your own, start with an image (filled with a color mentioned later) larger than what you intend to finish with. Say 1024 x1024 Make a new layer and use elliptical select tool and from the top drag down til the bottom radius resembles something of a nice wire sag in the middle of your image. Crop. Fill with a color of choice for this will be your wire soon. Drag the selection up a bit to where it is the desired size of your wire then reverse selection and crop.
Use layer blending tools to bevel and emboss etc... add patterns to make it grimy or rough... just ahve fun with it.

Then choose a spot to marquee select and crop your final texture out.

when you convert to pcx, make sure the color you want masked is in the bottom right of the pallete. You can check the pallete by clicking the custom palette in the conversion dialog. In this case you may want to use a color other than black so you can achieve a nice shadow for the bottom of your wire.

Hope I didn't miss anything as that is from memory and I haven't ps'd for a couple months now...

Last edited: