Brink

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Not bad looking for IDtech 4. I might pass on this game though until I hear more news on it, just doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Last demon-stration I saw of this game included NASTY frame loss and terrible graphics on the 360, as well as a guy that - along with not being able to know what to do... couldn't aim and didn't understand what an FPS was.

Then the video got published.:rolleyes:
(same problem with that damn Slaughterhouse E3 footage; I can't believe they allowed that stuff on the general public, it's obviously Alpha stage)

I'll try out a demo.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
One issue for a game like this will be the amount of (fun) maps to play at release and afterwards.
If it gets an editor and it's userfriendly there's a chance we might see something really fun.

However UT has already proven that maps for a gametype like this (basically an Assault/conquest-variant) are very very difficult to create (compared to something like CTF or DM).

It also makes me wonder how big the sp-part of this game will be (we've seen two maps and the game is supposed to be released next year ?)

And then there's the AI ... which probably will be the kind of cannon fodder that knows how to shoot, but can't accomplish any objectives. I also wonder if it can use the 'smart'-system to move around.

This will be Battlefield all over again ... and I doubt it can compete with the next CoD as it is too complex for the average lone wolf.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Love the art direction and customisation.

Looking forward to this a lot. So what if some of the movement features have been done before? If they use them in a smooth way, keep it seamless and it adds to the game, then it can only be a good thing.

Pretty much the only game I'm waiting for right now (with the possible exception of Diablo 3).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Been having my eyes off this one for a while now, probably because of the fact there hasn't been many medias released for the game. I'm interested in it, though what I could tell from it is that it seemed to be a morph between Mirror Edge, Call of Duty and TF2 <-- :hmm:

The problem is TF2. After a while I always end up getting bored with the unique classes. I hope they don't include classes like Medics, engineers because clearly, everyone wants to point at things, shot, and have a higher ratio than everyone else on the server, medics don't make that happen. If someone uses medic he's probably playing with clan buddies, which makes it even more annoying if he's healing that one fat guy who never miss with a rocket launcher.

The iD Tech 4 engine version they use is really hardware demanding?

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I love TF2 btw...

The problem is TF2. After a while I always end up getting bored with the unique classes. I hope they don't include classes like Medics, engineers because clearly, everyone wants to point at things, shot, and have a higher ratio than everyone else on the server, medics don't make that happen. If someone uses medic he's probably playing with clan buddies, which makes it even more annoying if he's healing that one fat guy who never miss with a rocket launcher.

Well, the "classes" are much, much less fixed than TF2. You have light/Medium/Heavy, but those simply dictate the HP and agility of your character, and agility means a lot in Brink.

The classes are weapon loadouts rather than a class. You can also change loadout without respawning. Also, each weaponset can be varied to each combat role (within reason). So you can vary the firepower for each map depending on what role you want to play. It looks a lot more fluid and natural than TF2's system.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The way you've described it sounds a lot more like CoD than TF2. Which is a good thing. No medic, no "That one guy have access to only 2-3 unique weapons" kind of boringness. I can understand why it's there and how it works well for a game of that genre like TF2, but I'd really hoped the game developers would drop it now, something fluid is always better, perks, abilities and whatnot decided by the player himself.

I just watched a video from E3 2010, yeah, they have 3 weight classes that have different weapon restrictions, but it's a large scale of weapons so to speak, which is good. I'm kinda wondering how silly the skinny guy will get though, SMG's only? No sniper? :(

Run and gun sniper Mirror's Edge style would be abusively awesome.
Then put on this theme for something really epic.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't think *Splash Damage* would be stupid enough to not implement dedicated servers ;)

Fixed. Splash Damage is the developer, Bethesda Softworks is the publisher, and idSoft is somehow mixed in.

I've just seen a lot of FPS titles that have been published without dedi servers lately (Modern Warfare 2, F.E.A.R.2, Blacklight: Tango Down to name a few). It's really bass ackwards.

I'm kinda wondering how silly the skinny guy will get though, SMG's only? No sniper? :(

To answer your question Kantham, lightweights can carry light weapons. Sniper is classified as a light weapon. Therefore, you can run towards your sniper post quickly and scope out enemies.

Though, snipers in Brink aren't as powerful as they are in CoD, they are more strictly headshot weapons and support weapons.

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
There is dedicated server support for PC. This has been confirmed at QuakeCon '10.

Link to article here.

This shouldn't be ****ing news, or something that's like, cause for ****ing celebration. Every PC MP game should have dedicated servers. The fact that it's even necessary to specify is a ****ing travesty.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sad, but the fact of the matter is that not every cross-console PC game has dedi-servers. In fact, many don't.

It's better to have it clarified firsthand than to be pissed off that they were all ambiguous about support (then didn't implement it at the last second). I've seen this happen to several games I was anticipating. The developer doesn't answer particular questions, everyone becomes speculative, then disappointed as dedi server support is not included. C'mon, don't need to be aggressive.

I'm also cautiously optimistic about their supposed SDK support. Most companies nowadays don't even provide them because of fear for their software's integrity. (Most publishers say **** you, you can't have any kind of software dev tools, because we're a bunch of greedy bastards who like to own every aspect of the game. Particularly EA)

Last edited:

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
"If you're online with real people & just want to run around & blow stuff up you can play as a soldier who has my favourite weapon; the grenade launcher..."

Uh oh :D

Looks interesting. Hopefully there's a demo.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Blah at people calling it a Mirror's Edge (or Assassin's Creed) ripoff.

Being able to traverse terrain in more ways than walking around on a flat surface and mario-jumping onto a ledge is something that's bound to emerge eventually.
I suppose it's natural though. Everyone called CnC a Dune2 clone, Doom a Wolfenstein clone (and then quake a doom clone, and unreal a quake clone), and so on.

I'm keen on seeing how the SMART system will work out. It really could go both ways. What I'm most interested in how choosing your path will work out since they keep mentioning how you can choose to slide under or vault over an obstacle by aiming over or below it. I could see that stuff maybe getting fuzzy and random if you throw in factors like slopes and angled obstacles.

I don't mind the graphics at all. I see a lot of people complaining over how technically unimpressive it is, but at least they're going for a specific look and vibe which is more than what can be said for most western games these days.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This shouldn't be ****ing news, or something that's like, cause for ****ing celebration. Every PC MP game should have dedicated servers. The fact that it's even necessary to specify is a ****ing travesty.

It shouldn't be, but if it is being news then it's clearly because we are to a point where mentioning it really matters. PC is consolified. Yep, dead horse strikes again.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Sad, but the fact of the matter is that not every cross-console PC game has dedi-servers. In fact, many don't.

It's better to have it clarified firsthand than to be pissed off that they were all ambiguous about support (then didn't implement it at the last second). I've seen this happen to several games I was anticipating. The developer doesn't answer particular questions, everyone becomes speculative, then disappointed as dedi server support is not included. C'mon, don't need to be aggressive.

I'm not being aggressive towards anybody in particular... it just makes me RAAAAGE :mad:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
They weren't planning to with Rage till they saw their forums explode with nerd rage. So yes they would be.

Woa. Then again, id hasn't been really big on the MP scene since Quake 3, so maybe they got a little rusty and went with what other developers were doing? Glad that they changed their minds though.

e: Apparently, Splash Damage is developing, Bethesday is publishing, Valve is distributing and it's running on id's Tech 4 game engine.

Last edited: