Brink

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
I like the skies in the demo vids. I still want a game with a dynamic cloud system.. Battlefield Bad Company had one of the best but still nowhere near what could be out there. Most games don't even bother with their skies. Like Dragon Age, wtf... everytime I panned the camera up there was just an ugly non-descript gradient of a sky. I didn't know how people praised the graphics of that game... yeah it looked like a PS2 game, big whoop.

Oh Brink? Looks like a waste of development resources. I'm with T2A.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
"waste of development resources"
lol... wow, really? that's the first impression you get from this?
you guys act like you're so jaded, like you've seen all there is to see after about 10 years of gaming.
when was the last time you were looking forward to a game and then actually enjoyed it?

sorry, I'm not trying to rip on you personally, and it's not just this game or this thread, but I'm really noticing a lot of cynicism towards the gaming industry lately. whether it's console or PC, there's a lot of negativity going around and to me it doesn't really seem warranted; not yet at least.

so like, what are you looking for in games today that might actually make you say "hmm, this looks like it could be good"?
are we setting the bar too high already?

I mean, what is your generic first-person shooter supposed to look like in 2009 before it makes you consider that it just might be a fun game?
you can't expect every new release to be a revolutionary landmark of gaming excellence tailored specifically to what you were looking for.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm not sure I've looked forward to a game and then enjoyed it properly since my N64 days. Well, I guess I enjoyed Halo when it first came out, but then the Xbox itself proved to be a big pile of crappy-games failure, so...

Most, if not all, of the moderately recent games I've enjoyed I wasn't looking forward to for any length of time. It's the ones that caught me off-guard, the ones that I had not cared to care about beforehand, that ended up being the good ones.

Everything else was just a slew of disappointments and console ports.

So, with that in mind, this one could very well end up being good -- but I certainly won't be following its development. As it stands from the ~4 minute video I saw earlier today, it looks like Fallout 3 or Borderlands with Mirror's Edge movement.

Take the futuristic FPSRPG idea, toss in some kind of civil or alien war, use a class system, and BAM. It's the Web 2.0 of gaming.

Pardon me for not being enthused.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
When you break something down into its most simple parts and then describe it with a shrug, yeah, it sounds bad.

Sure, they merely ripped off the running from Mirror's Edge, a class system and a futuristic dystopia. Woopdeedo.

But really, have you played a single shooter that integrated free running as one of the control mechanics? The answer is no. I'm very curious to see how that effects gameplay, what strategies emerge as a result of a new gameplay mechanic in a shooter. It's a shame that the dude demoing the game was absolutely terrible at it (and he was playing AI which didn't take advantage of the freerunning at all), but I think that there were a few examples in the demo that showed off lots of possibility.

The art is also quite fresh. Sure there is a lot of muddy colors, which isn't great, but the overall art direction is interesting and unique. It's not completely out there, but it is a nice twist that I think works extremely well with the concept.

I have nothing interesting to say about the class system. It's pretty standard. That being said: I like class systems. They're fun.

I'm sick of people being so jaded and everything else was better. You just like to **** on things because it makes you feel superior. Like it or don't like it, that's your own deal, but ****ting all over everything just to feel the workings of your sphincter is stupid.

~Jason

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
you guys act like you're so jaded, like you've seen all there is to see after about 10 years of gaming.
when was the last time you were looking forward to a game and then actually enjoyed it?
The last game I was psyched about was FEAR when it was first announced. When it was released I was disappointed in how it had changed from what Monolith originally showed.

I've seen clips of the gameplay footage for Brink when my brother was viewing the demo, and I viewed the official website because the picture shown in the OP is rather ridiculous and makes me think of a completely different game than what I saw, but I'm going to wait a bit before following it. I hope Splash Damage does a good job, and another co-op game sounds good, but I don't see much point in being excited for a game that still has another good year of development before it's released.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Very high quality looking game with some really nice art direction.

I've gotta disagree. The whole look of it is pretty unexciting to me. It's like they attempted to work on the graphical quality, stopped halfway through and decided to stick with tiny res textures and shadow maps. The fidelity was hideous in my opinion; far worse than Half Life 2 in terms of lighting and texture quality.

And the art direction looked like an attempt to reduce the perception of the crappy fidelity. "Oh what's that? You're criticizing our graphics? No, you just have no appreciation for our vision. It's not supposed to be photorealistic. Notice how that guy's head is too big and ridiculous looking? Yeah, you just don't understand our art. *sniff*"
:rolleyes: No thanks.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
"waste of development resources"
lol... wow, really? that's the first impression you get from this?
Yeah, kind of. :) I am very sick of shooters, and this looks like another shooter. They can disguise it how they want, but the gameplay has been in place long before this came along.

so like, what are you looking for in games today that might actually make you say "hmm, this looks like it could be good"?
are we setting the bar too high already?
http://quelsolaar.com/love/index.html

Stuff like this. It's a very refreshing game, and I can't wait til it gets in beta stage or full release. It's literally the first of its kind, and it was made by one guy on pretty much no budget. I was playing Left for Dead 2 last night/today... it was very boring, very repetitive, and I don't think it brings anything to the gaming world. I don't think another shooter like Brink will either.

I mean, what is your generic first-person shooter supposed to look like in 2009 before it makes you consider that it just might be a fun game?
you can't expect every new release to be a revolutionary landmark of gaming excellence tailored specifically to what you were looking for.

I'm not at all. You said it yourself, this is just a generic first-person shooter. That's my problem with this game. Is that it looks like a generic first-person shooter, and most likely will be. It doesn't even look fun to be honest. This is 2009, the options are pretty much limitless for video games and they choose to make another generic shooter. I don't see what's wrong with expressing that, am I supposed to act like a generic game looks fun and awesome when I think it looks boring and uninspired?

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Did somebody say beer? :D

deschutes-jubelale.jpg

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
it only took a couple minutes to type that up. but I guess our definitions of "so much time" are different.

I'm just trying to poke and prod at this issue, I wasn't trying to negate your post as much as get you to further explore the sentiment you've expressed. but if you don't wanna' discuss it then so be it.

From what I have seen...

Like:
1. Art Style
I love the deformed realism, reminds me of the animation... 50% grey or something.

2. Sounds
The explosion deaf effect without the Saving Private Ryan ringing? ZOMG! The bullet impacts, the wizzez, awesome.

3. SP/MP
I like this story driven MP experience, makes you feel like your apart of a bigger story, there there is more than "take position A, and then move to position B"

Hated:
1. Aim Down Sights
JESUS WHY ARE THEY HUGE! ugh... the holosite on that assault rifle gave me bad flashbacks to MW1... ugh D:

We Will see:
1. SMART
Yeah... I have seen this before. And the only system in a FPS that worked... okay... was UT's dodge. Even then it was just moves you can seen in any "platformer"
Can't guadge this until I actually play it.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Easy just make the game you want to make not the game you think might be most successful. The art direction isn't really cool, it's been done before, and I'm getting kinda sick of everyone creaming their pants whenever a game with "stylised" visuals comes around, it stopped being original around the time TF2 came out. And yeah the gameplay looks like a recombination of gameplay elements seen in other games. It doesn't mean the game will be bad, it just means that the game will be great. That's why I regard games like Shadow of the Colossus, Mirror's Edge and Cryostasis with higher respect than the Modern Warfares of the game industry. Is it too much to ask to have developers push the envelope and move the form forward?