"TOXIKK" The UT2004 clone

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Basically I think they were trying to recreate UT2k4 because Epic said they weren't going to do another UT. Then Epic dropped the bomb that they would and the developers of TOXIKK felt they were to far in to quit but knew they wouldn't be able to compete so they half-assed it just to get a product out the door and re-coop some loss.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
That sounds quite feasible and would explain nearly the entire affair. Nice call elmur.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I think this will have a hard time really getting traction. It looks good; very slick and fun, but there really isn't any innovation there. It looks too familiar frankly, which makes me wonder why it exists. Like Warframe, Nexuiz, Warsow...this will fade. Not that it deserves it; to be clear, it looks very well done, but yes, a copy & paste job really. Without clear innovation, production is a bit senseless (hello CoD, MoH, etc). At least Titanfall brought something new(ish) to the table.

madspacemarine02

random access user
May 2, 2014
They could've at least wrote "Frag, like it's 2004" instead of 1999.

And the scale is too small. And I don't see it looking in any way like
maps of UT2K4.

---------------------------------------------------------------

They're looking for freelance mappers. Too bad. I wish I would have
tried something with UE3 now. I submitted hourences portfolio
and warbeasts/warbys. Only 2 hours from my home away...

http://reakktor.com/jobs/

Might be the best chance for european mapper enthusiasts to work
on an UT2K4-like title ever.

It's possible to pre-order it here: http://toxikk.com/store/

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, this does look like it's using a lot of content from UT3 (and some of the stuff from UDK). Looks to me like they also may have pulled gameplay code from UT3.

Still this.

This still looks like a reskinned and tweaked UT3 - right down to the vehicles which seem to handle identically to their UT3 counterparts.

Edit: The website pretty much confirms this, half the weapon loadout functionality is lifted from UT3.

Starting weapons are 'The Impactor' and 'the Raven'. Impactor is an impact hammer with the link gun secondary, Raven is the Enforcer with unlimited ammo. The 'Cerberus' seems to have normal rocket primary and the AVRIL secondary, and the 'Hellraiser' is the Redeemer. The other weapons include a shotgun, assault rifle with grenade launcher and a sniper rifle. The two more creative weapons include a rapid fire energy projectile with instant hit beam (easy to do in UDK, you can copy the shock beam and link projectile, takes 2 seconds) and a flamethrower type weapon, which is the only particularly creative thing there.

Last edited:

madspacemarine02

random access user
May 2, 2014
Why are you replying to your own post?

It is what it is. What you criticize is the
whole point of it.

This is like criticizing an Arnold Schwar-
zenegger movie for not being a classical
drama.

And the vehicles were first in 2K4.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I think this will have a hard time really getting traction. It looks good; very slick and fun, but there really isn't any innovation there. It looks too familiar frankly, which makes me wonder why it exists. Like Warframe, Nexuiz, Warsow...this will fade. Not that it deserves it; to be clear, it looks very well done, but yes, a copy & paste job really. Without clear innovation, production is a bit senseless (hello CoD, MoH, etc). At least Titanfall brought something new(ish) to the table.

Wat. Warframe is still in the top 15 as far as most-played.

It's not showing any signs of fading, either. Sure, there are months where it slows down for a bit, but it's never fading.
http://www.steamcharts.com/app/230410

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013

whole point of it.

drama.

He is re-asserting his earlier response in light of replies since; a common rhetorical device in discussions involving differing opinions.

In your analogy, the "classical drama" is UT3 and the Schwarzenegger movie is Toxxik? Well, the analogy is flawed in that the Arnie movie is copying most of the classical drama - indeed attempting to be the classical drama, much like Arnie cast in a remake of Macbeth - making it ignorant not to compare them.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Wat. Warframe is still in the top 15 as far as most-played.

It's not showing any signs of fading, either. Sure, there are months where it slows down for a bit, but it's never fading.
http://www.steamcharts.com/app/230410

Ok. Top 15 what? Online FPS games? Your link shows me statistics, but without comparison, they don't mean a lot.

I am not trying to be argumentative at all, but "in the top 15" in this particular genre isn't what I would call especially 'popular', particularly seeing as it is a recent release; one would think it might be higher, at least initially. Also, technically it is a third-person shooter, but that might be being pedantic.

I wasn't trying to bash any game, but just to make a point. Perhaps Warframe was best left out of my mix, but I don't see it being a particularly 'splashy' release. Again, not that it is a bad game, but I think the arena shooter is seen as passe these days, which is why these new entries into the genre will not become 'the next UT'. UT4 will do well thanks to its roots being 'back in the day', one of the founding members of the club, as it were. In a genre like FPSs, heritage/lineage means a lot and all of the others are always viewed comparatively. That Warframe was developed by DE, who had a hand in the UT series, gives it some credibility, but nonetheless, it is still seen through UT glasses.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net

whole point of it.

drama.

In addition to the other responses, you seem to have missed the point.

It's not a copy that "is what it is" - it isn't a copy at all. It's basically a mod of UT3. Those vehicles aren't just similar to UT, they are fundamentally the same vehicles, code and all. To be contrary to the title, this game isn't a UT2004 clone, it is basically a UT3 mod packaged up in UDK and sold as a retail game.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Ok. Top 15 what? Online FPS games? Your link shows me statistics, but without comparison, they don't mean a lot.

I am not trying to be argumentative at all, but "in the top 15" in this particular genre isn't what I would call especially 'popular', particularly seeing as it is a recent release; one would think it might be higher, at least initially. Also, technically it is a third-person shooter, but that might be being pedantic.

I wasn't trying to bash any game, but just to make a point. Perhaps Warframe was best left out of my mix, but I don't see it being a particularly 'splashy' release. Again, not that it is a bad game, but I think the arena shooter is seen as passe these days, which is why these new entries into the genre will not become 'the next UT'. UT4 will do well thanks to its roots being 'back in the day', one of the founding members of the club, as it were. In a genre like FPSs, heritage/lineage means a lot and all of the others are always viewed comparatively. That Warframe was developed by DE, who had a hand in the UT series, gives it some credibility, but nonetheless, it is still seen through UT glasses.

It's been growing fairly steadily over the past 1.8 years that it's been out. While it won't beat out DOTA 2 on the steam play charts, it's also the most downloaded game on the PS4, and it is also available now on the Xbox One.

I don't think it can be lumped in with Warsow and Nexuiz, since it's not inherently an 'arena' shooter. Sure, it has 'arena' elements, but it's not in the same category. Not a 'flash in the pan' by any stretch of the imagination, active users have been steadily rising.

http://www.steamcharts.com/

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Is Reakktor really an 'indie' company anyway? What indie company launches an international MMO 12 years earlier?