Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
So I tried photographing waterdrops. I set my camera to 2s exposure in a dark room and then fired a flash while letting off waterdrops from a pipette. Pretty hard to coordinate and you pretty much have to get lucky to time it properly. It's also a bit hard to get the focus right because if your stand for the pipette moves stuff will be out of focus. Here's some of the shots that turned out all right. I suck at post so I tried fixing the colour temp and played around a bit with exposure and curves.

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7230.jpg

IMG_7232.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Bi()ha2arD, those shots look awesome! What lens were you using? And did you use any kind of macro filter?

If you are just starting with Inkscape then don't forget the Open Clip Art library (http://openclipart.org/). In Fedora/RHEL land it's a parallel install to Inkscape and that's a pity because it's a great addition to Inkscape.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out :tup:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Those are great, but try it with milk next. That way the drops will create much more pronounced "crown" shapes because of the different properties of milk vs water.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Intermission:

Nikon Thailand used an advertisement company which used Terje Sørgjerd's work to promote their newest product.

1) The advertisement company did not clear the rights with the photographer.
2) The photographer is apparently a Canon fanatic.
3) This is supposedly a global campaign.

According to the Norwegian news article (the newspaper made Nikon aware of the issue), Nikon Japan (Tokyo) is already on this. The photographer asked to receive royalties x2 his normal fee and an apology, and since Nikon agreed, he considers it case closed.

Article in Norwegian with the commercial (preceeded by a 15 sec commercial lal)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
That happens more often than companies like to admit.

An apology, recognition and getting paid is the way to go. I would say they handled it well. Shame on the advertising company for not getting clearance. Nikon had to take the heat for them.

Speaking of Canon.. I saw some Canon 5dmk3 samples and they look very nice... but not nice enough to switch back to Canon.

Nikon has made a strange move to keep making D700 cameras. The D800 samples look exactly the same as the D700 in terms of high iso quality. Although that is a great feat in engineering it doesn't do anything for my clients needs.

The exact same thing is going on with the D4 and the D3s. Pretty much the same results but with more megapixels. I do have to say that the D4 does produce slightly better looking colors at similar settings. Still not a big enough leap to justify the additional $2k price difference. At least not for what I do.

Don't get me wrong, I may change my mind if I am ever in need of what those cameras have to offer. For now I may just pick up an extra D700 or hold out for a D3s.

For now I'm excited to see all of the new options rolling out. These are the new models for the next 4-5 years.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That's a shame for Nikon. The video is great though. Just read the article, it's really quite surprising anything like that can ever happen.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Speaking of Canon.. I saw some Canon 5dmk3 samples and they look very nice... but not nice enough to switch back to Canon.

Nikon has made a strange move to keep making D700 cameras. The D800 samples look exactly the same as the D700 in terms of high iso quality. Although that is a great feat in engineering it doesn't do anything for my clients needs.

The exact same thing is going on with the D4 and the D3s. Pretty much the same results but with more megapixels. I do have to say that the D4 does produce slightly better looking colors at similar settings. Still not a big enough leap to justify the additional $2k price difference. At least not for what I do.

Don't get me wrong, I may change my mind if I am ever in need of what those cameras have to offer. For now I may just pick up an extra D700 or hold out for a D3s.

For now I'm excited to see all of the new options rolling out. These are the new models for the next 4-5 years.

I am seriously thinking about picking up a Nikon 800 due to the fact that they never change their lens mount. You can use lots of really nice old lenses for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a new lens. I do however like Canon's sensors better and I feel they are still leading the way in image quality and their lenses are better IMO, (Nikon's aren't bad, but Canon just wins in glass) but having to buy all new lenses or by a converter that changes the properties of the lens is just not worth it. Hence, Nikon wins.

I can shoot with an old film camera and use those same lenses on the 800. That's win as fuck!

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Nikon has made a strange move to keep making D700 cameras. The D800 samples look exactly the same as the D700 in terms of high iso quality.
In the UK market (at least) the D700 fills a price point gap between the top of the amateur range (D7000) and the serious full-frame gear:

• D7000/D300s - 1000GBP
  • D700 - 1800GBP
  • D800 2400GBP
  • D800E - 2700GBP

That's a big price gap between the D7000 and the D800, especially when Canon have the EOS 7D at 1200GBP and the EOS 5D (II) at 1700GBP.

As a (now) entry-level full-frame camera, the D700 fits the bill.

(All prices body-only and include sales tax)