Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Yes, I pointed that out. I'm talking about how annoying it's going to be even on foot. I'd take ridiculously bloody screens from COD over that kind of flare.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
So, moving on, I didn't know they were adding a EOD robot. What's the use? :con: I hope it's not like the MW2 RC car. :rant:

First off, that vehicle is described as an EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL robot. That means it's there to disable AT Mines, C4, and scout out areas. Outside of that, I don't think it can do much. Probably an engineer item.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
First off, that vehicle is described as an EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL robot. That means it's there to disable AT Mines, C4, and scout out areas. Outside of that, I don't think it can do much. Probably an engineer item.

Yes, that's what EOD means if you didn't realize. The thing is, this is a video game. No ones gonna use a robot to disable shit like mines or c4. They will just run passed them or go around them. Also the wrench has always been the way to disable mines and I doubt that has changed since it would just cripple and disturb the games pace to have to bring out a robot for mines and C4.

There is definitely an ulterior motive behind that stupid little robot. Maybe you can drive up to tanks and plant c4 on them, rofl.

Edit: Okay, I looked it up and apparently it can also repair vehicles. :lol:

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
The strategy here is not to point your gun at the sky if you're on foot (since you have no reason to)?
I guess you've never even tried to shoot pilots out of helicopters, be it with a rifle or anti-aircraft launcher? There's even a segment in the trailer where the player shoots a guy on top of a small cliff. All you have to be is on the right side and close enough to the cliff to line up with the sun. That's inevitably going to happen in some places on levels of this scale with so many people playing. Even BC2 had plenty of vertical fighting.

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
That trailer was pretty badass but, is this really necessary:
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/4bPf8.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
I mean, it'll be interesting to blind people on your six with it but that's just going to be annoying as hell any time somebody is above you and in front of the sun. If you can't turn that off with settings or tweak, that's the first mod I'm looking forward to.

Don't want the sun in your eyes, don't fly towards the sun. I like the realism.

Goofy

Pluto's my bitch...
Jan 23, 2008
Smallest state in the Union
Yes, that's what EOD means if you didn't realize. The thing is, this is a video game. No ones gonna use a robot to disable shit like mines or c4. They will just run passed them or go around them. Also the wrench has always been the way to disable mines and I doubt that has changed since it would just cripple and disturb the games pace to have to bring out a robot for mines and C4.

The wrench isn't in BF3. It's the welding tool.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
The wrench isn't in BF3. It's the welding tool.

I know, the power tool/wrench. (I don't think it's a welding tool. :p)

Anyways, I just generically meant any engi main tool. I just assumed it would still disable mines, but now that I think about it, I don't know how it worked in badcrapany2(;)) and it was extremely stupid how you could damage enemy vehicles with it, please don't have that in BF3. :lol:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well that's not fair. How'd you get in alpha? :mad:

Edit: I just looked up a video of the tool, that is pretty hilarious and stupid. :lol:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
Yes, I pointed that out. I'm talking about how annoying it's going to be even on foot. I'd take ridiculously bloody screens from COD over that kind of flare.

It's actually pretty realistic at least it is here during some times of the year when not wearing sunglasses. Though I'm sure a real modern fighter jet and pilot has glare reducing mechanisms. Though from what I could tell from the trailer you probably won't get that kind of glare unless you're up high.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
http://www.destructoid.com/battlefield-3-has-no-in-game-browser-server-on-pc-209346.phtml

It has been revealed that Battlefield 3 is getting an in-game server browser, something that is usually obligatory with PC games. Except ... the feature is exclusive to consoles. The PC version has to use the Battlelog home page, with no in-game browsing allowed.

Senior gameplay designer Alan Kertz has gone so far as to say that there won't be an in-game menu at all on PC, with everything done through a Web browser. He says that it acts as the in-game menu and that you can jump straight from the service into a game with no inconvenience.

The problem people have with this arrangement is that you won't be able to look for new servers while playing an existing game. You'll have to quit out, go to your browser, pick a new server on the Battlelog page, and re-enter. As you might expect, this is getting a fair bit of criticism from fans.

EA is trying their hardest to destroy this game, aren't they?

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
EA is trying their hardest to destroy this game, aren't they?
EA is tired of people praising them for the good things they did these past few years and want people bad mouthing them again.
I think they figured out that bad publicity is still publicity (Hence why CODMW sells so much trolololol)

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Nothing new. In BC2 you couldn't check the server browser unless you disconnected. The added fun was when the game was having trouble updating your stats as it would just sit there not letting you anything. You couldn't even exit the game until it was done updating your stats

[Edit] After reading the BFBlog, it isn't exit the server, it's exit the facking game. F*ck that sh*t

I'm more interested by one of the related articles: http://www.destructoid.com/portal-2-getting-free-dlc-this-september-209354.phtml

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

I...just...what? You're giving the PC feature to consoles and giving the console crap to PCs? WTF EA? Look, I already bought your game, and I'm excited about it. It looks great, supports 64 person servers, has tons of excellent features, etc. This is a win. Then you go and pick a fight with Steam, say we can't have mods because we're too dumb to handle your 'splosions and screw us on simple things like browsers?

Honestly, it seems to me that the right hand of EA is doing everything thing they can to make this game attractive to PC gamers and the left hand is doing everything they can to make it unattractive. I would say the right hand is winning, but only barely.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

I...just...what? You're giving the PC feature to consoles and giving the console crap to PCs? WTF EA? Look, I already bought your game, and I'm excited about it. It looks great, supports 64 person servers, has tons of excellent features, etc. This is a win. Then you go and pick a fight with Steam, say we can't have mods because we're too dumb to handle your 'splosions and screw us on simple things like browsers?

Honestly, it seems to me that the right hand of EA is doing everything thing they can to make this game attractive to PC gamers and the left hand is doing everything they can to make it unattractive. I would say the right hand is winning, but only barely.

Yay, blind hate before you even know what it's like!

League of Legends does this and it's an extremely popular pc only game people play competitively.

If it works good, I won't mind. I will probably actually like it even more than in game menus.

And since when was this a console feature? That's just a dumb thing to say. :lol:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
It isn't even console crap, how many console games require you to quit back to the dashboard to find a new server?
Here's another article: http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/battlefield-3-pc-version-wont-have-in-game-server-browser/
The way the Destructoid article is worded it sounded like you'd have to just exit the server, not the entire game

League of Legends does this and it's an extremely popular pc only game people play competitively.
Thing is League of Legends has much lower system requirements

Not much has been released yet, but so far BF3 will require Vista/7 and at least a DX10 card

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

If it works good, I won't mind. I will probably actually like it even more than in game menus.
League of Legends boots up in like 10 seconds. Chances are not just extremely high, but nearly 100% likely, that even on the beefiest computer BF3 will take 90 seconds or more to boot up. And that's not even counting how long it takes to exit the game and the process to shut itself off.

So, I'd say the odds are almost infinite against it "working good".