B-17 Flying Fortress...UT Killer!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ToddWorld

Jan 9, 2001
www.toddworld.com
Warning: Do not install Microprose's new B-17 game on the same computer you EVER plan on running Unreal Tournament on.

So far I've installed it on three computers (all had UT on them) and it's destroyed Unreal in each case. Now the only way to play is in software mode (which bites since they all have great video cards).

What's worse is I can't find a way to fix it...I've uninstalled the B-17 game on two of the computers...Uninstalled and Reinstalled UT 3-5 times on each of the computers (and patched) but my computer still locks at a black screen when I run UT.

If ANYBODY has any suggestions on how to fix this, please let me know. The B-17 game kicks butt, but I miss UT.

Thanks,
Todd

The computers are running Win 98, WinME, and Win2k. They have both Voodoo and NVidia cards. Help! Even tried upgrading one to DirectX 8.

Pierat

Jan 19, 2001
Visit site
Seems like you might be on to something here. I too have installed B-17 in the past week and now when I try to start UT it boots to a black screen and locks! Tried several work arounds to no avail. I can't even start in software mode or safe mode. This really bites the big one!!! Guess I have to try cleaning out the registry of anything refering to Micropose(B-17) and UT and see if that works!

Pierat

Jan 19, 2001
Visit site
Found the reason why!

If you installed the A3D drivers in the install program it will totally screw up the system registry. So what ever you do don't load them. If you have( because you have a Aureal sound card)I've heard that upgrading the drivers has cured this in some cases. If that does'nt work try hacking the registry to find the culprit otherwise your in for a full format and reinstall of the OS and all your programs as I did yesterday. Now UT and B-17 live happy together on my drive without the A3D drivers :)

Jim

0bside0

Transmogriphying...
Jul 20, 2000
Seattle, WA
www.klondike5.us
Hey all!
Just want to point out some good news to you all... or at least all of you with this problem that are running WinME...
You have the technology! YOU HAVE THE POWER!!
SYSTEM RESTORE UTILITY
I forgot the thing even existed until a couple months ago (I've since used it a second time with equally good results- I tinker a bit too much, ya know?) You can restore your system to exactly what it was before all this began. Saved my BACKSIDE! As long as you've never removed the process from the backround (ripped it from the run-keys in the reg) it should be chugging happily away and setting restore points every so often. Go to start-run and type in:

"c:\windows\system\restore\rstrui"

Or you can get to it thru

start-->programs-->accessories-->system tools-->system restore

The system restore wizard will walk you through it. It is god-sent. If you're not running ME, mmmmm, I have little to say that hasn't been suggested. Hack that reg and try to reinstall.. otherwise start backing up your "gotta-keeps" cuz you in for some work.

Cheers,

Necroth

Former WeeDHead
Mar 7, 2000
Visit site
You bunch of fools ;)

No B17 does NOT crash Unreal, but the new Aurial3D drives does, that comes with B17 :eek:

Solution, go to the UNREALTOURNAMENT.INI and go to the GALAXYSOUND settings.
Then PUT everything on FALSE, yes you read it right, EVERYTHING on FALSE, so you have NO sounds.
Then start Unreal, and you'll see UT starts again, and with sound