Gears of War 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Is anyone interested in this game?

I've been playing my review copy for several hours now and I'm liking some of the changes. It seems that the usefulness of cover has been diminished to some degree. Running out in the open or charging enemies is rewarded a little more in certain situations, particularly with turrets. This is definitely the best looking Gears game, but it's also squeezing every last ounce of power the 360 has to run it, you can tell in several areas where the framerate is beginning to drag.

I'll be writing up a full review tomorrow to hopefully post on the weekend.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Getting it as soon as I can and playing through it with a friend. Probably won't have time for at least a week after release though.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Bought the Epic edition with my amazon.com discounts. Let's see... sixty dollars worth of discounts. :D

<--- consumerism ftw

It's good that they've switched over to dedicated servers, the multiplayer component was/is a lot smoother than before when I played the MP Beta. Lighting is fantastic with the implementation of the lightmass system, light-ray rendering, visual effects such as exponential fog, dynamic volumetric fog volumes...

Unfortunately, I've got two major UDK projects to hand in this upcoming week, so I won't be able to really even touch it until after the weekend of the 24th-25th.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A couple reviewers have said negative things about the game, but I think most of them are wrong. One said the story was really weak, and that's not true. The story in this one is far more interesting than in either of the previous games. The biggest thing in this one is that there aren't really any "Holy crap am I really doing this?!" types of areas, but the progression of the game and the quality of the levels is FAR more even than it has been, which is a major plus.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Eat shit and die!

I'm justifying my expensive purchase of a video game and peripheral goodies on the internet by being childishly immature.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Oh it's already released?...
May be the best birthday present for a long while. Horde/Beast COMING

EDIT: oh review copies

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Beats me where ambershee got his, but mine was a review copy from Microsoft.