Major UT3 Update Details

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Woohoo, cool list :) Can't wait to see the full lot (and I hope it includes custom faction support for characters on PS3!).
TheIronKnuckle said:
there is no fix/option for flak cannon trajectory being totally wtf. Sure, i came when i read the list, but it would be near perfect if it fixed up the falk cannon. (And maybe the rocket launcher, i would appreciate it if they added an option to make rocket and grenade delivery similar to how it was done in unreal and UT. It was so much easier that way) Also trajectory needs to be fixed on multiple weapons, the rocket launcher suffers from "flak secondary syndrome" as well when firing grenades.
Have also to agree with you on those points. (edit: well yea, they probably shouldn't be changed actually at this point... but I've never liked those things - especially the rocket grenades to the point where I just can't use them)

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
If I had to guess, I would say that this is what the "expansion" has turned to with the imminent death of Midway. Remember around UT3 came out, they said they had contracted to produce *two* UT products for Midway. Well, with midway going out the window, that made me wonder what they'd end up doing. The expansion announcement came too late to be that second UT product.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
This is awsome :D

Heck they even fixed up the gamepad issues. Not to sure about the future of the PS3 and XBOX360 versions though. You can only do so much for a console game.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Such as big list, and so many I'm happy about!! (too many to discuss really)

- Option to allow for custom characters to load at all times (no default characters, but may get hitches when new players join).

Demoguy is dead.. EFF-YEAH! :lol:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Well guys, even before reading this I thought that UT3 was the best game of all times (except for Doom II and Duke Nukem 3D).
Sure its bugs are kinda annoying (demoguy above all), but it plays a lot better than the others UTs (and I started playing the UT series from the beginning).

If now they fix the bugs, oh, I don't need to read anything else! :clap:

I really hope the Steam will bring more people on the servers....and still that will be possible to play the game even without. I really don't know why everybody keeps bitching about gamespy. I was a bit put off at first, but then I think it's good that nobody can play with your nickname.

Also I don't think I've found any mention about an anti-cheat.
UT is born to be a competitive game, not having a proper anticheat it's Spartan madness.

I'm really happy for the patch, anyway. I don't want to be one of the people that spoils the fun asking for bull****s to be implemented. Whiners can really stfu now.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Sadly I don't see a "fixed players constantly turning into Demoguy."

Read my post just above yours.. it's there!! Yay!

If I had to guess, I would say that this is what the "expansion" has turned to with the imminent death of Midway. Remember around UT3 came out, they said they had contracted to produce *two* UT products for Midway. Well, with midway going out the window, that made me wonder what they'd end up doing. The expansion announcement came too late to be that second UT product.

Personally, I don't think Midway would effect what Epic does.. it's only the publisher, and Unreal / UT is Epic's own title - they can and would still make it, just with another publisher.

Plus, the other one could probably end up being a single player game (Unreal 3).. Mark Rein said that they will likely be doing another single-player based Unreal game in the future.
Hopefully it would have "botmatch" as well ;)

Last edited:

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
TheIronKnuckle: those weapons don't need 'fixing' as they are not broken to begin with, you may not personally like it, but those weapons were changed as epic saw fit, you'd best get used to them or else use mutators. I did see a 2k4 flakball trajectory mutator on the official forums a while back.

I think the new grenade alt fire is /meant/ to be unpredictable, it fires rockets drunkenly, so theres always the chance they'll miss an obvious target, I find it good/fun to put the wind up an opponent then cap them with primary when they aren't prepared.

The new FC felt a bit strange at first, but so did the 2k3/4 model, it just takes a little adjustment, and much like previous ones, i've grown to love it all over again.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004

By the looks of it, this patch will pretty much bond the game to Steam. Which presents a very interesting experiment on their behalf. I honestly think that UT2004 was done as a retail release because they needed a way to revitalize the game and retail probably wouldn't have appreciated trying to sell a box labeled "UT2003 Version 2.0", hence the name change. ECE was a different story because UT2004 had a much better reception than 2003 and typically "Gold" editions aren't looked down upon at retail.

You couple Midway's death throes (not entirely sure given they're talking about another MK game already) with the fact that UT3 sold pretty decently over the holiday season with Steam's holiday sale and it doesn't take a genius to realize that Epic might be content with having Steam be the predominant seller of UT3. Especially considering that new buyers are already patched up and don't have to run off to the Intarwebs to grab the latest patch and bonus packs. That should cut down the "Zero to Spectacle" or "Zero to Frag" metric by a lot.

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
The game is available on steam, but there doesn't seem to be a way to register the game with steam to take advantage of steam features (eg the overlay and such) outside of using the non-steam game function. I tried entering my CD-key on the steam product registraiton but it didn't work. I wonder if there will be a way to do this come the update.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
UT has *always* been a franchise which consistently sold slowly over the course of its lifecycle.

You buy it, you load it on your harddrive, you occasionally play it... you come back to it later.

I'm interested in the total UT3 sales at this point... ~1.25 years in.

«MechikTaj»

lolol First blood betrayals
Daaaayyyuuummm! This is one hell of a Patch list!

All of those fixes and additions look great but my favorites include:

Client-side demo recording support.
Increased radius/volume of Manta, Raptor, and Viper engines.
Teleporter portal rendering updates are now disabled by default, even for high end systems.
Can no longer teleport to node that is under attack.
In game types using weaponlockers, players spawn with weapons from nearest weapon locker.
Reduced mesh offsetting on slopes, removing exploit allowing players to hide.
Don't allow disabling of fog volumes. Fixes VCTF-Sandstorm exploit.
Option to allow for custom characters to load at all times.

Guess I'll be using DemoGuy as my main character. :lol: DemoGuy will never die!!!

I hope they continue tweaking the vehicles a bit... *cough* Cicada rockets, Scavenger seeker and Hellbender Turret charge meter *cough*. :D

Thank you again Epic! :)

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
TheIronKnuckle: those weapons don't need 'fixing' as they are not broken to begin with, you may not personally like it, but those weapons were changed as epic saw fit, you'd best get used to them or else use mutators. I did see a 2k4 flakball trajectory mutator on the official forums a while back.

I think the new grenade alt fire is /meant/ to be unpredictable, it fires rockets drunkenly, so theres always the chance they'll miss an obvious target, I find it good/fun to put the wind up an opponent then cap them with primary when they aren't prepared.

The new FC felt a bit strange at first, but so did the 2k3/4 model, it just takes a little adjustment, and much like previous ones, i've grown to love it all over again.

look dude, the current secondary fires on those weapons really suck. I don't want to have to look at the floor in order to shoot at something right in front of me. The secondary fires have been made counter-intuitive. It may have been epics decision, but they haven't made the best decisions in regards to ut3 have they?

I understand where you are coming from. Some people probably DO like the new firing modes and system. And this is where customizability should be reintroduced. UT3 needs more options, and i say one of these options should be "Classic projectile trajectory on certain weapons". That means the people who like the new system can use it and the people who like the classic way of doing things don't have to put up with it.

UT2004 had this option in regards to the translocator i believe. "Classic translocator trajectory" or something. And even ut1 had the option "Rocket primary continuous fire" Which meant that if you didn't want to load up multiple rockets you didn't have to and holding down fire = continuous fire.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I wonder if there will be a way to do this come the update.

That's probably something Epic, Midway and Valve need to work out. I posted a link earlier to the list of retail games which can be activated on Steam. A better question is what this means for Gamespy since Steam already provides all the community functions that UT3 uses in the Gamespy service. I don't think this is the final feature list for the patch. It feels more like a sneak "hey we're actually doing stuff" peak so hopefully there will be additional changes.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
"Removed download speed limitations, when hosting LAN servers."
Halleluja, could never solve this problem since UT2003.

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
UT has *always* been a franchise which consistently sold slowly over the course of its lifecycle.

You buy it, you load it on your harddrive, you occasionally play it... you come back to it later.

I'm interested in the total UT3 sales at this point... ~1.25 years in.
That's very true. UT is my "Man, there's nothing else to do, guess I'll play this" game.