laser sight

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
LUCKY!!!
lina_eyetry.gif

Mr.Mitchell

Sep 5, 2001
the Netherlands
home.ict.nl
One thing you might want to add is that melee weapons like the impacthammer don't show the laserbeam. I have never seen a knife with a lasersight. You can use the bMelee variable in the weaponclass for this.

someguy_99

Sep 7, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Could you please make it so you can make the beam length infinite? And I mean infinite. You know how the sniper rifle is supposed to have infinite range? Try sniping bots on the other end of CTF-HallOfGiants. Please do this.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
lasers may have infinite range but I wouldn't use one to target anything past 500 metres. Personally I think its fine as it is.

Or the last version was. I haven't tried this one yet. Downloaded, but not tried.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
someguy you can already set the beam to a length of 20. That should be enough.

What I'd like to see is to be able to pick your colour of beam, possibly using a menu the style of the UT menu where youselect crosshair colour, etc. In DM it defaults red. arg...... I want multicolour lasers :)

it would be great too if bots had a random colour laser. It can be done too: if you need some help on this I know a guy who did a random-bot-colour laser weapon already.

elffum

Oct 23, 2001
Reedham
Visit site
thanks for the ideas, i'll get to work on them straight away.

i pretty sure selecting the exact colour (ie rgb value like the crosshair) is only for hud graphics. if anyone knows different please let me know.

someguy: with an infinite beam length, expect even the fastest computers to grind to a halt on open maps like ctf face. anyway, although the beam doesn't reach the target, the laserdot is still there, and imo thats better for aiming with. if the dot isn't there then theres a bug that need squashing :)

elffum

Oct 23, 2001
Reedham
Visit site
new version!

heres the latest version:
Laser Sight.zip

new additions are an option for random bot laser colours and selectable laser colour.

the sight turning off for melee weapons turned out to be a bit harder than i though, so im still working on that, if i can't figure it out i may give up trying.

more suggestions please! i've got tomorrow off so i need plenty to do... :)

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
A good application for laser sight

Try and work in some good behind view controls (the default UT chasecam mode is good for screenshots and nothing else) - a laser sight would be excellent for chasecam mode. The big thing is that the chasecam would have to be modified so the player doesn't stand right in the middle of the view, right where you would like to be looking.

Get that going, and people might actually want to play chasecam UT.

Heres my take - Chasecam is controlled by server vars, ditto laser sight, stuck at on/off/optional. Many mods have custom hand to hand weapons, so allowing the player to simply toggle the laser sight would be easier then trying to find every hth weapon ever made for UT (The U4e katana does not need a laser sight, for ex.).

Now, a player with a normal aimer and 1st person has obvious advantages over a 3rd person laser sight player - it just works that way - so the server has the option of forcing lasers or chasecam. Personally, I'd force chasecam but not laser - its damn tough to aim in chasecam games without a laser sight or something similar. That means that all players get the coolness/hinderance of chasecam mode, but the aiming aid of lasersight, which really is an aid in chasecam, is optional. And of course, if forcing this is server controll, guys that just want to try it out if they want can too.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Re: new version!

Originally posted by elffum

the sight turning off for melee weapons turned out to be a bit harder than i though, so im still working on that, if i can't figure it out i may give up trying.

well you can always turn the laser sight off yourself for melee weapons, so you really don't need to waste time doing this ;)

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Continuing the 3rd person concept

Continuing the use in chasecam, could just have an option so only the player can see their own laser - this would be the needed component for a fair chasecam/3rd person player. That, and non-****ty camera angles.

elffum

Oct 23, 2001
Reedham
Visit site
a chasecam sounds a bit like too much work for my liking :)
not sure theres a nice way of implimenting a chase cam mutator, i may be wrong though. if i did do it it would probably be as a seperate mutator.

elffum

Oct 23, 2001
Reedham
Visit site
yeah, sure, im a big fan of the NE mod :) i'd love to donate code if its needed. i could do some code, but im still learning, so im not really up to coding anything really complex. i mainly code special effects and stuff cos i think it looks pretty :)

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
We have it in writing ;)

someone using your computer or something? :p

probably a pesky younger brother, they tend to do that :D