Outdoor terrain

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ingen

Seek peace...
May 3, 2001
Isla Sorna
fusionware.tripod.com
Well, it didnt came up from my brains...
I read some posts on this forum, and on one there was link, where somebody described terrain editor, which is implemented in Editor for Unreal Warfare...(which is, as far as i know, UT 2...)

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
I've been experimenting with TerraEdit a lot and this is what I've learnt this far:

• Try to make your grids not too small. 16 x 16 and a width of 64 units is OK. I made a small cave and hade a 8 x 8 grid with a grid size of 64 (this makes the entire grid 512 x 512 units).
  • When subtracting and doing CSG operations. Make sure the surfaces are at least 2 units wide! If they're smaller it's very likely you'll end up with a nice BSP hole.
  • It's easy to make good looking caverns with TerraEdit. First make the floor and save it, then make the roof. You'll have to look at it as some kind of mold where the two parts must match exactly except where the space of the cave is supposed to be.
    Import both into UnrealEd and add them somewhere where there's lots of open space. Make a big box brush, as big as the brush you built in TerraEd. In my case a made a 512 x 512 x 256 (256 was the max height in my height map). Subtract this brush where you want the cave. Now you only have to add the floor (the lower part) and the ceiling of the cave (the upper part) and you're done.
    Be prepared to fail, it's rather tricky making this work and you'll have to experiment a lot to get a result that is satisfying.
  • Do not intersect TerraEd brushed with each other! You'll probably end up with tons of BSP holes and a very high polycount (which isn't very good).

So how high may the polycount be? In Unreal is was maxiumum 150, in UT it's about 250 and some newer maps have polycounts of 600 (DM-Falkenstein). A polycount of 600 - 800 is usually OK on a GeForce graphics card but will be very choppy on a Voodoo 2 class graphics card. Keep the polycount about 200 - 300 and you're safe.
You can view the polycount by entering "STAT FPS" in the console.

Good Luck!