Happy 6th Birthday UT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Although I haven't played an Unreal-engine game in well over a year, I still get nostalgic when November comes along. UT99 was simply the greatest FPS to come down the pike. We had soooooo much fun playing that game. The old FragPU's were stellar and really well-attended. The gameplay was something really special, warts and all.

I've said this many times, and by the looks of what is coming in UT2007, someone at Epic finally agrees, the best Unreal Tournament game was UT99, for a lot of reasons. I sincerely hope that the overall feel of that game is touched upon again in UT2007, especially the model/map scale and the feel of the weapons.

At any rate, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to UT!

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
QAPete said:
Although I haven't played an Unreal-engine game in well over a year, I still get nostalgic when November comes along. UT99 was simply the greatest FPS to come down the pike. We had soooooo much fun playing that game. The old FragPU's were stellar and really well-attended. The gameplay was something really special, warts and all.

I've said this many times, and by the looks of what is coming in UT2007, someone at Epic finally agrees, the best Unreal Tournament game was UT99, for a lot of reasons. I sincerely hope that the overall feel of that game is touched upon again in UT2007, especially the model/map scale and the feel of the weapons.

At any rate, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to UT!

Pete
-BeyondUnreal
Amen. The community has never really recovered from the lul around and after the release of UT2003 which, to be blunt, was undeserving of the UT name. Here's hoping UT2007 sets us back in the right direction.

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
I remember it like it was yesterday!

I came back from Kosovo (military duty), and finaly I had money to buy my first PC back in december 1999 or so.

I did not know alot about PC's, and so a few days later I went to the bookstore and bought me some PC magazines (including PC game magazines with demo discs)
Popped in the demo disk and installed a game called Unreal Tournament...

Next day I went to the store and bought it and played it for about 3 years every day! (also I went from a modem conneection to a cable connection ASAP! My god, It scared the s**t out of me when I got the first telephone bill!!)

Oh well, I still suck a55 though :lol:

Happy birthday UT

Last edited:

Starry Might

bFemale=True
I prefer to play "UT 2004" the most (please don't kill me for saying that...), but the original "UT" is still a great game. In fact, I kinda dusted it off this year and was going through the single player mode. Alas, I got stuck on AS-OceanFloor (dang Venom weeotches! :mad:).

Anyway, happy B-day, "UT"! This series rocks! :D:tup:

catzenjaeger said:
:eek:

:notworthy: WE ARE NOT WORTHY! :notworthy:

:lol: :D

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Starry Might said:
I prefer to play "UT 2004" the most (please don't kill me for saying that...), but the original "UT" is still a great game. In fact, I kinda dusted it off this year and was going through the single player mode. Alas, I got stuck on AS-OceanFloor (dang Venom weeotches! :mad:).

Stuck on oceanfloor? That's one of the easiest assault levels!
I mean, it's so hard to defend and so easy to assault...
I think you can even destroy some of the terminals from outside the base...

You should be able to concur this level in 20-30 seconds or so...
And the bots? Pfff.. just guard the most important terminal (you know which one)with your entire team. Don't worry about the other 3. Collect all weapons and armour and guard both corners. If you see the enemy, just use the shock combo etc... The enemy can't win if you play it right.
Well, bot enemy that is...

This game acutally means more to me than most. I was I guess "depressed" and felt alone when I was younger. Never had any friends, and didn't think my dad liked me very much (having spent the first 12 years with my mom after the divorce)

I got UT, and it all changed. This was the first real thing that my dad and I really connected on. We would both litteraly stay up until 3am on a work/school night playing this game. It really brought us closer than I ever thought I would get with my dad. We would constantly talk about what servers we played on, who we killed the most, what coolest mods came out that we played. It really meant alot to me. Thank you Epic.

Also, I was very proud to be in the first ever Excessive clan (CFH). I still love them and still wear my tag too. I made some really really good friends on UT, and lost them once I moved. I found Maest again, here on BuF actually. Then I was reunited with all my old school gaming buddies. Thanks Epic and BeyondUnreal.

This is by far my most faviorte game ever. Even my girlfriend (Pinkrevolver) plays it too now!

This game has really been a part of my life. I still have all of the Unreal series installed (not 2k3 thou), and I still play them all atleast a few times a month if not more.

So are we going to have a BuF birthday bash or anything?

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Freakin' A that UT still rocks to this day! :D

I've played the original Unreal game since it first came out so naturally I looked forward to UT even though I was more into single-player games then deathmatches. Once I loaded up the demo from PC Gamer, I knew I had to have this game even if it meant waiting till I get a 3D card so it "really" runs fast. I also played Sin & TFC and...whadda know, UT's got mods from those games and other FPS's so UT ended up being the only PC game I've played period. It was a fun couple of years till UT2003 came out which really disgusted me to no end. UT2004 was a step in the right direction with Onslaught, but the next one will (hopefully) not only go back to the UT roots but also introduce brand new gametypes that make you wanna go online like ONS did. So yeah, I still say UT's got a bright future inspite of Atari...

Oh yeah, today's my birthday as well so I got a double reason to celebrate today!! :lol:

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
My very FIRST player model was for UT99 - "Tom Servo" from MST3K. Ah, I remember the pride of seeing in on line for the very first time.....

Anyhoo, can't wait to re-do the RAPTOR model for UT07 or whatever they end up calling it.

SLyrr

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
yea me too, first voicepack i did was for the UT99 Rumiko model (thanks to Rog!) and it was so much fun hearing it on tons of servers online :cool:
but i had been hooked since discovering original Unreal late in 99 and then got turned onto UT and its been nearly non-stop playing ever since... :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

party.gif

sharpfish

never really gone away
Apr 10, 2002
U.K
www.realityfakers.com
UT99 A classic that re-afirmed a lot of fans of the original (and my most beloved of the series) Unreal (yeah - the FIRST unreal!). UT99 took the atmosphere and quirky online shenanigans and transformed it into a powerhouse of online gaming bliss. I still play occasionally, I still play 2k4 occasionally... And I still think there would be nothing wrong with UT99 having a graphical overhaul but keeping it as is (similar to what Valve did to HLife but better), and releasing it for free - as a "thankyou" to the loyal community that have had to endure RSI, LATE NIGHTS, ONLINE IDIOTS, and DREAMS of running around the maps... (the last one was great actually).

Nice one EPIC. I hope you repeat the success with 2k7.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
sharpfish said:
Nice one EPIC. I hope you repeat the success with 2k7.

And I hope you make more maps. :)

HB UT: A game that not only lived up to its (minimal) hype, it absolutely smashed my concept of what a decent multiplayer game should be.

sharpfish

never really gone away
Apr 10, 2002
U.K
www.realityfakers.com
@Plumb_Drumb : Plumb_Drumb!!! (hiya - long time no map feedback) ;)

@Hal : I hope to Hal, I am missing the mapping thing a lot at the moment but I am patiently waiting for the new game for another crack at it :)