(360/PS3) Dark Souls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But let's be realistic, this game is going to be pirated to heck and back. I know it, you know it, TB knows it. At the end of the day, chances are pretty high that From and Namco are going to blame it on PC gamers instead of where it actually belongs: with GFWL.

As I said earlier, I won't boycott the game, but I won't be buying it at launch or for some time afterward. I do agree with him that at this point it is a lost cause trying to get GFWL out. It is a massive disappointment, but nothing is going to change.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Tomb of the Giants cleared, Gravelord Nito defeated. Going to be spending some time upgrading various weapons to the max level before Vaskadar and I are going to hit the last 2 bosses (as far as I know 2 bosses, Gwyndolin and then Gwyn). Game stays compelling.

On a side note, I got pretty lucky last night with item drops. I had the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring equipped, as well as 10 humanity on me, went to the Great Hollow to find crystal lizards. 2 of the 5 I found dropped a Titanite Slab each. Score!

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
But let's be realistic, this game is going to be pirated to heck and back. I know it, you know it, TB knows it. At the end of the day, chances are pretty high that From and Namco are going to blame it on PC gamers instead of where it actually belongs: with GFWL.

As I said earlier, I won't boycott the game, but I won't be buying it at launch or for some time afterward. I do agree with him that at this point it is a lost cause trying to get GFWL out. It is a massive disappointment, but nothing is going to change.

Well, the PC gamers who pirate the game are the ones to be blamed for pirating the game. There are many who would do it no matter what DRM is in place, even a complete lack of DRM, so let's not imply that's the only reason it will happen. GFWL is pretty terrible, and I have avoided it entirely since Fallout 3, and will continue to do so. Then again, equating a pirated copy with a lost sale is also folly.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, the PC gamers who pirate the game are the ones to be blamed for pirating the game. There are many who would do it no matter what DRM is in place, even a complete lack of DRM, so let's not imply that's the only reason it will happen. GFWL is pretty terrible, and I have avoided it entirely since Fallout 3, and will continue to do so. Then again, equating a pirated copy with a lost sale is also folly.
I don't disagree with that at all. GFWL tends to lead to lower sales which makes the piracy numbers look even worse than they actually are.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1326009/dark_souls_pc_dev_responds_to_drm_backlash.html

They have responded and it is exactly what TB said. GFWL is not going anywhere. The petition is pointless.

As for this

Miyazaki also explained that Dark Souls on PC is in fact, a straight port of the console version, "As for improvements to graphics and such, they are not planned at this point. A we said, this is a straight port of the console version."

I hope we can at least change the resolution.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So, in other words, this is a "lazy port". The kind that people hate and don't want to buy.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
so this is like the best game from last year IMO!
When they released Castlevania Lords of Shadow this is what LoS should've been like.

_
Currently I'm in the dukes archive but I cleared out the tomb of giants sans defeating nito, so if anyone is somewhere there around the SL 110 :) ...

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
When they released Castlevania Lords of Shadow this is what LoS should've been like.

_
Currently I'm in the dukes archive but I cleared out the tomb of giants sans defeating nito, so if anyone is somewhere there around the SL 110 :) ...

It's on my list for best games of 2011. Jos and I are around SL 130, so it is unfortunate, but we cannot co-op with you at this point. We are wrapping up the rare weapons achievement and are going after all sorceries, pyromancies and miracles.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com

_

We could try and wait around for you a bit. We're kinda stuck on Four Kings in NG+ because we just can't seem to kill them fast enough to prevent fighting all of them at once. Our luck with summoning a third party member into the world has not been great either.
I'd gladly help out with either/both the archives and tomb of the giants (though I just remembered that I've not yet gone to the Catacombs at all in NG+)

Thanks god it didn't

LoS was a good God of War-style game but far removed from what is typical of a Castlevania game. When I think of what a third person, open world Castlevania game might look like I think something like Dark Souls is closer to that standard. The only glaring difference is that Dark Souls is slower paced, but the metroidvania is there. I can't think of too many non-sidescrolling games that can successfully accomplish (and surpass) this.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Yeah, the Eurogamer article strongly implies that the steam version will just be steamworks and not GFWL (" There's a Games for Windows - Live version that will be sold in shops."), but it's not entirely clear. Here's hoping.