FileFront Closing "Indefinitely" March 30th

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
AtomicGamer is trying to put up a mirror of every file on FileFront. While AG has more wait times than FileFront did, they do have a similar service set up there with decent speeds. I've really enjoyed having them as a mirror partner, they've accommodated us in a lot of ways.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
aw man, this is downright crappy. i always used FileFront. it was completely hassle free and easy to find exactly what you were looking for. sux.

got nothing else... just sux.

Abvex

Feb 18, 2008
Sadly, we are losing a lot more than a DL mirror here, we are also losing what was a hub and home for entire modding communities, where will the STALKER modders go now for instance? and how many of thease mods will be lost forever, and not be reuploaded elsewhere? and gone is all the modding information that had a home on their forums, which has practically served as other game's version of the "UnrealWiki" for a long time now, this is where modders went to look up code examples and get help for alot of games.

ya, same goes for the mods for the total war franchise + company of heroes and various other rts. Filefront was a HUGE mirror for most of all the mods on moddb.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
This is terrible. FileFront is hands down the best file hosting site I've ever downloaded mods from. The reason for this is no wait times and they don't cap your download speed.

Now we're stuck with those other guys. You know, the ones who refuse to let you download anything at your own time because they want your money. Oh, and then there's the one whom I will not mention (Hint: their initials are FILEPLANET) that make you WAIT IN LINE just to download a file. They say it's to preserve their bandwidth, but really they just want your money, and not just to pay their bandwidth costs.

This is crap... good bye fast downloads, and hello wait times and DL speed caps.

dwax

AHH TEH KILLA BEEZ
Feb 6, 2002
SOUTH DAKOTA
dustywax.us
Just emailed Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc and told them how disappointed I was with this decision, and told them I was canceling all my subscriptions to their magazines.:mad:

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
#!@$%%$!!

****. NO. WAY. MAN.

IT'S ALL OVER MAN, IT'S ALL OVER..
worriedd.gif

Why in the mother ****ing hell not FilePlanet. WHY. WHY. WHY. Now I need to re-download aaaaall my files, find aaaaall the threads that contains aaaaall the links to aaaaall my filefront files.

QFT :mad:

Seriously.. practically 80-90% of links to UT3 maps etc are going to suddenly be dead - and I can't imagine most of them to ever be updated or re-uploaded to an alternate..

Man, it must really be fundamentally unprofitable for something to seem sooo popular yet it closes down anyway. (just look at the passion in this thread)

Oh, and if this turns out to be an April fools thing... it crosses the line bigtime, and is just SICK. Pure disturbing wrongness!!

:shake:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I just got to Media Fire like DD. Nothing personal to FileFront now, but TBFH, MediaFire feels better overall so far, I hope it sticks to being very/somewhat good. The interface is really sleek, and you can create folders as well <3.

MediaFire is "the new" FileFront if it can deliver.
Not sure about the different countries and download issues though.

Could BU ever get mirrors from MediaFire?
They sound less gaming focused for sure though.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem with MediaFire is that they have restrictions on how files stay active in your account. We couldn't guarantee the activity they want, so it's not likely we could host a permanent mirror there. It doesn't hurt for me to contact them about the possibility though, so I'll give that a try.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The problem with MediaFire is that they have restrictions on how files stay active in your account.

Like FileFront? When your files lost activity, you were warned via e-mail that one of your file is about to get deleted. You could then just log-in and cancel that move.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We had a different kind of account on FileFront. Anyway, I had files on FileFront for 5 years that I was never told would be deleted.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
We had a different kind of account on FileFront. Anyway, I had files on FileFront for 5 years that I was never told would be deleted.

The deletion was probably applied to big files that weren't generating much activity. I had two or three warnings and they had to do with archives above 100 MB.

Last edited:

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com

Never quite understood how they decided what to be deleted - the first map I uploaded there ages ago never got prompted, while some of my more recent maps (with even more downloads) were set for delete after barely a week.

Must have just ignored anything under 20Mb or something, and attacked anything over 30

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Ah, could have been size based. I only had one file even near 50mb.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
MediaFire is as long as it's downloaded once every 30 days or if you login to your account every 60. Something like that (quote MediaFire FAQ).
Anyways I'm logging in every day so its should not be a problem :p

Good news about AtomicGamer, although they are the one among the three left on BUFiles that has a queue. The other two don't and I get pretty good speeds from them. Gamershell redirects me to the hopemage instead of the file download so... :/

Last edited: