Planning my New Gaming PC!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
So I'm planning a gaming PC. I haven't built a PC since 2008. I've done some minor upgrades to it but it can't really go on anymore with upgrades, as it's DDR2 and an AM2 AMD processor. I do love it though, she's lasted me 5 years and I've been able to play games all the way up until recently on max quality. But she's starting to lag behind.

Currently she's a got a Foxconn a79-s mobo, Phenom II X950 OC'd to 3.85GHz per core, and an OC'd ATI 5850. She's watercooled, though not the cleanest install, still decent, in a Lian li v2000B case.

9581498114_db49e57a7b.jpg
9581498034_555c9632c7.jpg
9578710467_a13d78eaa9.jpg

(In the photo I had an older mobo, I didn't like it so I upgraded to the foxconn, and upgraded from two 3870's to a single 5850.)

So the next one I'm building is from ground up. I'm going to be doing an SSD for the main drive, 240GB should be fine, as it'll only be programs and games. I'm wondering if I should do bigger or smaller. tend to like having games load fast, but that's just a luxury, play rate matters more than quick loads. I have at least 250gb worth of games on my PC right now. That one I'll have to figure out.

I'm going AMD again because it's a little cheaper than intel and pretty fun to play with as far as overclocking. I'm going for an octa-core and going to overclock it as much as i can from it's 4.0Ghz/4.2GHz range to whatever I can reach (I hear 5.2GHz is possible with water). I'm going with 16GB RAM 8GBx2 sticks so I have the option to get more, and I'm going with an ATI 7950 GPU, though this might change if the 8xxx series comes out and they discontinue the 7xxx series.

Here's what I have setup so far.

LIAN LI PC-V2120B Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $399.99
I wanted to go with a large case again for watercooling. I may go with the V2120X which has an anodized black interior as well, but it's 450$.

Rosewill TACHYON -1000 1000W ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Modular Active PFC Power Supply $219.99
Have any other suggestions for power supplies for this setup? I do plan on getting another videocard.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX UEFI BIOS $214.99
Between this and the Raptor, I figured this would suit me better for heavy overclocking.

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100352VXSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $279.99
Again, if they drop in price or the 8xxx series is this price, we'll see what happens. Oct. 2013 is the release date.

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX $199.99
I was looking at the FX-9xxx series and then I read reviews, basically this can overclock to the same speeds that the 9xxx series can overclock to, they're pretty much the same processors. Meh, might as well pay $150 less.

G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX $169.99
Any tips on RAM? I've heard the timing is flexible on this RAM.

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

Any suggestions for SSD drives? This will be a first for me as far as SSD.

2x Seagate NAS HDD ST2000VN000 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 each) Total $239.98
For my photography and ridiculous collection of downloaded TV series, movies anime, programs and games, music etc.

So this is getting into the $2,000.00 range, and including probably $400-$600 in watercooling equipment, it'll be a good $2,400 PC, but it should last me a long time, especially if I invest an extra $300.00 and add another videocard and some more ram (then I'd have to add in another waterblock and tubing though, but that'd probably be what an extra $60-$100).

All in all this is going to be my most expensive PC. Though when I tried to design one with intel I was still about $1,000 more for what I wanted...

What do you guys thinks?

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
It's a personal preference. I like the Lian Li cases. I really don't care for other designs much. Again, personal preference. Also I do a lot of moving. It's nice to have a sturdy case when you're moving between states.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I used to be mental with upgrading and building my own PC's and like yourself, it's been about 5 years since I threw anything new into my rig.
I did get a hankering for doing a new build a few months back but since my game playing has eased off considerably over the years, I really can't justify it personally and I've already pre-ordered a PS4, so that will take care of pretty much everything over the next 5 years or so.
The component list looks impressive though and if you've got the spare cash to throw at it, then get top of the range stuff if you can.
In the past I split hairs over memory prices and various other bits and pieces during construction to try and keep the costs down but I found that for the sake of an extra £100:00, I would have had an easier ride and vastly improved performance & reliability across the board.
I do miss tinkering with this crap though.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Weird way to blow $2000. You could build a way better system for less. Did you read any reviews for that CPU? Sad. 8 weak cores. OOOooo. It typically gets stomped by 2500ks...2 generation-old Intels. Power too...you may want a 1200w. And a second job to pay the power bills. :p

It won't perform well, but I guess it will look good.

I built this 2 months ago coming from a built-in-2008 Q9550 (775) setup:

4770K under a Zalman CNPS 10x (with a Silverstone AP121 fan), ASUS Z87 Pro, MSI 7850 2GB @ 1100 core, 8GB GSkill Sniper XMP1833, 3 x 2TB Seagate HDDs, 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Antec (Delta) 650w., in a Hanjung Tech (Korean maker) case. Great system, if I do say so myself. I am not overclocking the 4770K yet because it is seriously fast but as it ages I will need to push it. Jsut for testing I overclocked it to 4.7 (4 cores stable running AIDA64), so that is good to know for future reference.

If you wanted to build a system that will have stronger and longer legs, I encourage you to skip AMD until they get back on their feet.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Power too...you may want a 1200w. And a second job to pay the power bills. :p
Agree with the rest, but this part is pathetic, no offense. Someone intending to spend $2000 on a system surely can afford extra $5/month of power

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Agree with the rest, but this part is pathetic, no offense. Someone intending to spend $2000 on a system surely can afford extra $5/month of power

Do you think?

What word might best describe your ability to understand sarcasm?

;)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Carbon I'll check out the powersupply. I would go intel but the setup I want would cost another $600-$1000, and I just don't have that kind of money. Plus I'm comfortable with overclocking AMD's stuff.

If prices for the i7's drops this fall and winter, then I might consider it.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Get a cheaper case and go Intel. Why do you need a full tower? Unless you have an absurd amount of hard drives and optical drives, I don't see the point.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Carbon I'll check out the powersupply. I would go intel but the setup I want would cost another $600-$1000, and I just don't have that kind of money. Plus I'm comfortable with overclocking AMD's stuff.

If prices for the i7's drops this fall and winter, then I might consider it.

Mate, the only issue I have with the PSU is the brand. As for going Intel, seriously, get a different case! No need for a $400 case these days...too many great cases out there for half (or even less) of that. Save $200 on the case and get only 8GB of memory for now (that can always be added). Asus have a broad range of good Z87 boards, many of which are at or just below $200. Then you also wouldn't need such a massive PSU and could save a few bucks there, all adding up to the difference.

Have a closer look at your options. AMD are seriously poor performers and in year or two you would probably regret your decision. I mean, they are currently getting easily easily beaten by Intels old stuff....think about what the comparison will look like in another couple of years. Either AMD will come back with a great CPU or Intel will continue dominance. Either way, you would lose in the current choice scenario.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I would definitely drop that AMD CPU, you could swap it with a mid-range i5 and do better in the end.

The rest of it seems nice but I kinda feel like I could build a system just as good for about $1,000 if I looked around.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Do you think?

What word might best describe your ability to understand sarcasm?

;)
Riight... Never ever I saw nitpicking or cluelessness about power usage and cost on hardware discussions on the Internet.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Riight... Never ever I saw nitpicking or cluelessness about power usage and cost on hardware discussions on the Internet.

Really? Well, keep looking. Idiots are everywhere.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Great case and can't go wrong with Lian-Li Black and full-tower! You might want to reconsider brand of PSU though (my favs are Enermax, Seasonic, etc.). Don't know enough about other components or SS drives, but get two WD instead of two Seagate. I have never had a WD that I installed crash yet.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Although Seagate recently bought the Samsung HDD division, a proven high-quality maker. I have had good luck with WD as well, but switched over to Seagate a couple of years ago without regret.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Mav, why are you going to buy a new case, PSU and watercooling kit? I mean, don't you have top of the line already?

Then the suggestions regarding the Intel Core i7 and the ASUS Z87 are really the way to go. What you don't need is very high end expensive RAM for an i7 processor, since it has large cache and advanced prefetching, so isn't sensitive to memory timings like the AMDs are. You may say that an i7 is expensive but really, you're spending too much precisely on what doesn't influence performance like the case and the PSU. Then I see the enthusiasm regarding water cooling, but what's the point of spending lots of money in overclocking a sub-par CPU that whatever you do, you will end up with lower performance, compared with an i7 and a basic air cooler?

Regarding storage, those Seagates are ok, but I keep suggesting either Western Digital Black or those new SSHD's with some flash memory. I don't know which brands are already selling for the end user, last time I checked mostly are for laptops and just for OEM's.

Edit: Seagate SSHD 2TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-178-380

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Ben, I won't be dismantling my current PC. In fact it will be used constantly, but it will become more for music (playback) and internet browsing as well as hosting a website.

I know the case is a lot, but I will be getting something similar to that. I like that case and I've wanted it for years. It's like telling someone who wants to buy a porsche to go buy a Prius because they're the same. Of course I'd only be buying the porsche and not the ferrari because well, it's more expensive. :p

But I'll look into the i7's if they drop in price. How are they for overclocking? That's another hobby of mine. If I can't play around with a PC I'm going to be bored with it. I don't know anything about intel motherboards and overclocking intels.

And I'll wait a little longer for those hybrids to really get into the market, I want to see how they perform in the long run. They're probably fine but I don't need any extra speed out of the two 2TB drives, they're for data that doesn't need high speed reads, and I always keep my OS and primary stuff on a completely separate drive from my data.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I like that case and I've wanted it for years. It's like telling someone who wants to buy a porsche to go buy a Prius because they're the same.

So instead, you're getting a Porsche body kit with a Prius engine.

Maverick in one year: "Hey guys, I can't play that game with you because of my weak processor, but you should she my case! It sure is pretty sitting under my desk! Honestly! Here, I'll send you a picture of it...as soon as my PC stops lagging..."

If you want a pretty case, fine. But don't compromise the rest of PC for it.