God bless American "Job Creators"!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Remember when Obama said he was closing Gitmo... ? :p

There is a very big difference between complete ideological flips and running into the political realities of difficult pledges. This is not to say that any politician SHOULD actually be so steadfast that they never change their mind (God, I would hate a person who is so obstinate as to never change their opinion), nor is it to say that any of the previous presidents never changed their minds (you can find examples of all of these things). But what Romney has done is largely an about-face because of the current GOP climate, moving from a very middle of the road, very liberal conservative to very suddenly being a staunch defender of Tea Party values. These are politically motivated switches, not the changing of one's mind over a period of years, not the falsely attributed inconsistency that is personal growth. This is why people are so frustrated by Romney.

All that being said, though, I would FAR rather Romney in office than Gingrich or Paul. I'd be even happier with Huntsman, but that is never going to happen. The poor fool believes in science.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is a very big difference between complete ideological flips and running into the political realities of difficult pledges. This is not to say that any politician SHOULD actually be so steadfast that they never change their mind (God, I would hate a person who is so obstinate as to never change their opinion), nor is it to say that any of the previous presidents never changed their minds (you can find examples of all of these things). But what Romney has done is largely an about-face because of the current GOP climate, moving from a very middle of the road, very liberal conservative to very suddenly being a staunch defender of Tea Party values. These are politically motivated switches, not the changing of one's mind over a period of years, not the falsely attributed inconsistency that is personal growth. This is why people are so frustrated by Romney.
Eh... watch any debate containing Obama from late 2008 and you see the same thing. Romney is trying to win the nomination and influence Independent voters. This is just the reality of ridiculous politics in our country right now.
All that being said, though, I would FAR rather Romney in office than Gingrich or Paul. I'd be even happier with Huntsman, but that is never going to happen. The poor fool believes in science.
I would be perfectly fine with Huntsman in office, to be honest. It's frustrating that he doesn't stand a chance right now.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
job-fails-say-what-you-want-about-obama-golfing-all-the-time-but-damn1.jpg

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Yay, the side taking shit slinging is already beginning. I hate election years. Everyone is a concerned expert citizen who know what is best.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Eh... watch any debate containing Obama from late 2008 and you see the same thing. Romney is trying to win the nomination and influence Independent voters. This is just the reality of ridiculous politics in our country right now.

I think you see it much less. It most definitely was happening, and it has happened with every president, this I agree wholeheartedly. I simply feel that the changes Romney has affected in presenting himself feel very disingenuous.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think you see it much less. It most definitely was happening, and it has happened with every president, this I agree wholeheartedly. I simply feel that the changes Romney has affected in presenting himself feel very disingenuous.
I don't agree but seeing as this point is relatively subjective, it's not really worth arguing about discussing. To me, Romney's convenient position changes seem like nothing more than Obama sounding like a moderate conservative in 2008, something I mentioned to my wife several times back then as well. I don't like it, it's just how they play their little games. ;)

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
However, you're talking about four companies that Bain Capital acquired or heavily invested in. Do you know how many companies Bain Capital acquires or heavily invests in? Yes, hundreds. You might even recognize some of the companies they have invested in: Dominos, AMC Entertainment, Burger King, Toys R Us, The Weather Channel, Sports Authority, Dunkin Donuts, LinkedIn, Burlington Coat Factory, Staples.....

It doesn't really matter if they failed to be successful in a few cases. (It's probably also important to note that at least one of the companies mentioned in video went bankrupt and closed AFTER Mitt Romney left the company)
It's not the point of the video and you know it. The process involved firing people, liquidate assets and file for bankrupcy. This was no accident or bad luck, it's what they call "creative destruction". Destroy jobs and industry for quick profit is fair game. You know very well that some of the companies you mentioned would also be killed, if that were the most profitable thing to do.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not the point of the video and you know it. The process involved firing people, liquidate assets and file for bankrupcy. This was no accident or bad luck, it's what they call "creative destruction". Destroy jobs and industry for quick profit is fair game. You know very well that some of the companies you mentioned would also be killed, if that were the most profitable thing to do.
No, I don't. You now have a case of four companies where the people who worked there think this happened. Good job.

Now watch this video.

Three out of the four companies stayed in business for more than 3 years after Bain Capital acquired them. Two of the companies mentioned were purchased by other entities for more than 10 times the money that Bain Capital took out of them. Two of the companies had no problems prior to Romney leaving Bain.

This is just another case of people twisting the truth to fit whatever ridiculous point they are trying to make. The other GOP candidates are blaming Mitt Romney for being a capitalist in one hand and then clamoring for more capitalism in the other hand. Height of hypocrisy.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And so are your magic long johns... I mean... temple garments... I mean... pajamas.
Har har, silly jews and their magic skullcaps.

Har har, silly catholics and their magic cross necklaces.

Har har, silly buddhists and their magic buddha statues.

Har har, silly muslims and their magic prayer rugs.

Har har, silly ... and their magic ..............................

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey, everybody's silly... with their magical unicorns.

Har Har silly agnostics, and their magic... Dr. Pepper.

Last edited: