Sochi Olympics in a nutshell.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
The upcoming olympics will very likely to be a major flop. Not because of bad results, but because of various organizational hiccups. But the PR machine is hard at work. Here's a small example, a poll page on the official website

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/LJBqe4Y.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

The topmost poll:
Which of the records of licensing program do you think is most noteworthy:
- Queue of the sportsmen using the official licensed "Sochi 2014" skis would be twice the length of Moscow circular road
- If you make a tower of "Sochi 2014" plastic eggs with sweets, it would be 85 times higher than Ostankino teletower
- If you tie together all the "Sochi 2014" luggage harnesses, they will be as long as the way to the top of the Everest and back
- Amount of sold "Sochi 2014" baby pacifiers would be enough for 125 hockey teams
- If you make a tower of all "Gzhel" "Sochi 2014" products it will be 2.5 times higher than Kremlin's Spasskaya tower.

The bottom one (sorry I won't translate this one in it's entirety):
- Yes, because [explanation a]
- Of course! [explanation b]
- Yes, I'm waiting, because [explanation c]
- Yes, I'm waiting. [explanation d]
- Other options (literally says so)

The best part? Try adding up the percentage off the bottom poll.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
No, what bothers you is the "homophobia of mother Russia" that you see repeated ad nauseum on the "news". Russia is far from paradise to people that love the same gender, but there are worst places for gays, including Africa and the Muslim world.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I wouldn't expect religious lunatics to understand why homosexuality isn't really a bad thing, but a developed country that isn't under some extremely religious control? What's Russia's excuse?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I wouldn't expect religious lunatics to understand why homosexuality isn't really a bad thing, but a developed country that isn't under some extremely religious control? What's Russia's excuse?

From what I understand is that Putin embraces the Russian Orthodox Church as some moral authority. One Russian lawmaker suggested that, "traditional sexual relations are relations between a man and a woman, which ... are a condition for the preservation and development of the multi-ethnic Russian people." Considering the history of Russia, it is not such an extreme thought that the people would be traditionalists so deeply that they see homosexuality as a threat to their existence (to any degree).

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
A common strain of thought in Russia is that they need to be Russians, and trying to be more like the west will make them weak. They're probably right too. Not that western culture is bad or anything, but Russia really needs to find its own identity outside of Communism and vodka.

Moral values tend to be the lowest hanging fruit in such a push.

I'm a little disappointed that people are trying to use the Olympics as political fodder though. Their ability to host the competitions safely is the only thing that matters.

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
TWD's got it. Current government ideology is pretty much to blame "teh enemy" vaguely pointing in the direction of the west. Opposition? Normal people will not do that. Of course they are being payed for by the enemies of the state. etc. etc. Among the common themes is "Russia is the last stand of morality", hence all these attacks on minorities.

From what I understand is that Putin embraces the Russian Orthodox Church as some moral authority.
No. It's more of "I scratch your back, you scratch my back" relationship.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
A common strain of thought in Russia is that they need to be Russians, and trying to be more like the west will make them weak. They're probably right too. Not that western culture is bad or anything, but Russia really needs to find its own identity outside of Communism and vodka.
Yeah. Outside Communism, vodka, the IMF/Western plunder and legacy from the Yeltzin days, the Western provoked Georgia-South Ossetia war, the growth of NATO to their borders, the politically motivated NGOs meddling into their business, the fight for influence in Ukraine, the Cold War style "news" (e.g. the inflated Pussy Riot drama), the Saudi controlled Chechnya Jihadists, the oil/gas pipelines far from and undercutting Russia and Kazakhstan ...

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Russia is the supreme culture, and I approve their shunning of western degeneracy.

Russia understands things. Nationalism, collectivism - at least over individualism, they've still got values and the spirit of romanticism. Absolutes. Beliefs.

Curse those western nihilists.

And yeah VODKA, whatever

damn liberals

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
A few corrupt politicians is better than the entire moral and ethical corruption of an entire culture AMERICA

_Lynx

Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
The government is extremely corrupt at every possible level and has been since before the dissolution of the USSR. Does anything else really need to be said?

"IOC member Kasper says corruption claimed one-third of Russian spending on Sochi Olympics"

He's being overly optimistic. Check the stadium being built for Russia's most well funded football team, Zenit (from St.Petersburg, which is by pure coincidence is Putin's hometown, club's main sponsor is Gazprom). This is the russian page in Wiki which contains a lot of details that are not present in the English version. Note the deadlines and construction cost sections.

This is pretty much how everything's being built in Sochi, except they can't move the deadlines here. At the moment first visitors will be coming into the arena, last workers will leaving through the back door.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What's all this fuss about Putin not liking rainbows ?