UT3 Patch 1.3 Is Out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Great I will try it tomorrow when I get chance.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
just cause some one has to say it: Did they fix the Demoguy bug?

Nope they didn't address that at all. At least not for the SP offline experience. I still have the issue that 70% of the time I start UT3 and go right into an IA game my character shows up as the demo Iron Guard male.

Also I am still less than impressed that this patch does not supply preview pics for the 3 bonus maps ... I think that is really sad that a company like Epic which has it working fine on the 360 couldn't do something that even the PhysX folks and amateur modders can. After 5 stages of this patch and now the final release to see generic pics on the bonus maps doesn't impress me at all. Its such a simple fix there is no excuse. I also can't get over that three patches later we still have to redo our mutator lists and game settings every single time we start the game up. It has really caused me to play the game a lot less and we can see that others are really not into as much either (Insite, UP, and Nalicity all gone and other sites are looking pretty pathetic). I just think that folks are correct and that Epic has really just abandoned this game ... hopefully the next version will restore the UT franchise to its rightful place.

On the other hand I am excited about seeing how good the custom models are going to be now that custom faction support is in. I am also happy that people who play online are pleased with many facets of the patch. I just wish us Instant Action players were shown a bit more love and hopefully the next patch will address more issues that affect us. After all when you look at the online community and how poorly it is doing you have to realize the saving grace for UT3 is the bot support for offline play. These days you most assuredly have more people playing IA than online so Epic needs to keep this in mind for the next time. That said the next PC patch will probably be a ways off since Epic really needs to focus on patches for the PS3 and 360 now.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
When exactly does your character not show up? Mine shows up 95% of the time for offline play.........I know it didn't show up at some point but I can't really remember when it didn't. Also, I agree about the generic pics not being there for all official maps.......pretty ridiculous. And the game settings not saving, especially the settings I want for each gametype, is pure BS. I'm sure there are other improvements that are good, so I'll play a few more maps and experience them.

What's the deal with motion blur? Does this setting get turned on by default with this patch? Any other settings get changed by applying this patch?

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
What's the deal with motion blur? Does this setting get turned on by default with this patch? Any other settings get changed by applying this patch?

You have to go under the Advanced video settings option and turn it on manually. None of the settings get changed (just support for features was added) ... you have to do that yourself.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Here we go again...

Yeah, guys, there is nothing good in this patch out of the dozens of fixes that are there. :rolleyes:

What is missing or broken in this patch that is in the changelist? Calling it an "incomplete patch" is really lowballing it. The patch is complete and works just fine.

They have already promised even more fixes in 1.4. There is no way the game would improve with some of your attitudes in here.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I didn't say there was "nothing good" in 1.3.

Calling it an "incomplete patch" is really lowballing it. The patch is complete and works just fine.

They have already promised even more fixes in 1.4.

You contradict yourself. If the patch were complete, there would be no need for a 1.4.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
On the other hand I am excited about seeing how good the custom models are going to be now that custom faction support is in. I am also happy that people who play online are pleased with many facets of the patch. I just wish us Instant Action players were shown a bit more love and hopefully the next patch will address more issues that affect us. After all when you look at the online community and how poorly it is doing you have to realize the saving grace for UT3 is the bot support for offline play. These days you most assuredly have more people playing IA than online so Epic needs to keep this in mind for the next time. That said the next PC patch will probably be a ways off since Epic really needs to focus on patches for the PS3 and 360 now.

I agree, on all counts, but i'm afraid Epic does not see things this way, a while back Wartourist made quite the post about this, not sure if you saw it, but basically, he left us offliners with very little cause for optimism, the only thing he expressed any intrest for is the issue with menu's not saving our options (he allmost seemed supriced to learn the issue existed..), he said that's an issue they do want to fix at some point if time permits (but he made no promises, not did it seem high on his to-do list to me), but he dismissed everything else as a waste of time, he made it quite clear that their priorities where elsewhere when making UT3, and that their priorities would continue to be the online portion of the game..

I don't think any love is comming to us offliners at all, not from Epic, even though i think you are correct in saying this UT has more offline players than online, i seriously doubt we'll see any significant improvements to this part of the game, a few minor tweaks to the bots perhabs, if we're lucky they will fix the menu's saving, but thats it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
rAt.8^].bAg;2170813 said:
I didn't say there was "nothing good" in 1.3.

You contradict yourself. If the patch were complete, there would be no need for a 1.4.
Calling the patch incomplete is a misnomer. You really mean that the game is still incomplete, not that the patch is.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Yea, because patches stop the INSTANT the game is "complete".

*Looks at Team Fortress 2*

Seriously dude, take that negativity elsewhere. Thank you Epic for still giving us patches even with all the bitching; some of us still do enjoy playing the game.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
i am incomplete. i just joined a dating site and hope that rAt.8^].bAg can fulfill me.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
What I don't get is the superior attitude those who are praising ALL aspects of this patch are taking against others who see both good things and bad things about it. Its a difference of opinion more than anything but the facts of UT3 being a misstep are very clear. People are always saying how bad UT2K3 was but did it cause such a massive deterioration in both the online community and the modding community that games were difficult to find online that have a decent amount of players and more importantly did it cause places like Polycount, SkinCity, NaliCity, UP, Insite, and others to either completely shut down or really dry up in terms of quality and offerings? Not that I recall ... I remember having so much content that I couldn't even get it all at the time and reviews all the time, and a booming scene whether people complained or not they were at least on board.

I know that I did give Epic credit where credit was due and did not say that the overall patch was poor at all ... not in any way ... I merely pointed out what I consider to be major flaws with releasing the patch in this state and that the community is shrinking (especially when we talk about the PC community of UT players). I made suggestions about future patches and even a next UT so I obviously remain optimistic about the game despite my problems with the current version and issues the patch has yet to address.

Edit: Before someone points it out I do realize that Ut2K3 did not face the kind of competition that UT3 is up against and that had their been more choices with graphics that were just as good perhaps UT2K3 would have caused sites to shut down and people to leave the scene in mass numbers ... so of course competition is definitely a factor and since Epic is keenly aware of this (Gears of War is what really taught them a great deal) that is why certain issues are so surprising when it comes to UT3. Of course it doesn't help the situation when your publisher is Midway as opposed to Microsoft.

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I also can't get over that three patches later we still have to redo our mutator lists and game settings every single time we start the game up. It has really caused me to play the game a lot less and we can see that others are really not into as much either (Insite, UP, and Nalicity all gone and other sites are looking pretty pathetic). I just think that folks are correct and that Epic has really just abandoned this game ...

I recently tried giving UT3 instant action another chance. I gave up on it before because of the issues you are talking about. Then I saw a couple muts and mods in the MSUC I thought looked interesting, so I thought I'd fire it up again and just deal with the work and toil now required to set up matches. Maybe I was being too rash in dismissing it out of hand earlier?

It was kind of fun at first, but after a couple games, I have to say that, as before, I don't feel like its worth all the trouble to set up a game, especially with that UI that you have to use to do it. Also, the way you have to "trick" the game into giving you the bot team setup you want is a pain.

So, sadly, I probably won't even be downloading this patch. I'm hoping that sometime in the future these things will be fixed in another patch, or by a 3rd party, and I can discover some gaming pleasures that I missed while the half-baked UI kept me away.

I don't think any love is comming to us offliners at all, not from Epic, even though i think you are correct in saying this UT has more offline players than online, i seriously doubt we'll see any significant improvements to this part of the game, a few minor tweaks to the bots perhabs, if we're lucky they will fix the menu's saving, but thats it.

That's very disappointing to hear. Didn't they tell us that they found that half the previous UT playerbase was offline only? It's so tragic that they looked at that statistic, and then decided that the "campaign" was what those offline folks wanted. Ha, or maybe they decided they didn't want people playing offline anymore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We only know two features of the upcoming patch, so I wouldn't write off instant action fixes just yet.

And Anuban, I'm sorry, but what is wrong with this patch? Just because it doesn't include the features you wanted doesn't automatically mean there is something wrong with it, it's just missing something you wanted.