Develop a full fledged game using UR runtime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Hi I am new to Game programming. I have downloaded unreal Engine 2 Runtime.
I have two queries.

1) Is it possible to develop a full fledged game using UE2 Runtime for non commercial purpose? If it is not possible, then what are the requirements to develop a full fledged game?

2) Please list down the features that are unavailable in Runtime version compared to full version.

3) What is the use of engine source code unless I modify it and also what is native code? what can I do with this?

Thanks in advance

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
No, you cannot make a game.

You need to purchase the engine, you need to be both a company and have around 450'000 US to do it.

EULA Extract
YOU MAY NOT USE THE RUNTIME SOFTWARE TO DEVELOP GAMES. YES, I KNOW THIS SOUNDS NASTY BUT LET’S FACE IT, EPIC‘S PRIMARY MEANS OF INCOME COMES FROM GAME SALES AND ENGINE LICENSING. WE WOULD BE SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE FOOT IF WE ALLOWED AN ENGINE WE GAVE AWAY FOR FREE TO TRAMPLE OUR PRIMARY MEANS OF INCOME. SORRY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO DEVELOP A GAME PLEASE DEVELOP IT AS A MOD FOR ONE OF OUR EXISTING RETAIL GAME PRODUCTS OR CONTACT US REGARDING A PROPER ENGINE LICENSE.

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Sorry. I am not going to sell it. My further plan is to license Unreal Engine 2. But can't I develop game using Unreal Runtime version and then convert it to original version.

I cant get you. Does the runtime engine doesn't have the features to develop a game? Please explain.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
Theres literally very little difference between the commercialized one and the one on the website. However, don't bother beginning the project until you have licensed Unreal Engine. Your not gaining any real time advantages here.

Its not the fact that UnrealEngine Runtime can't do it, its just that its stated in the EULA that your not allowed too. However I'd rarger not mess with Epic. Also, once you download the UERuntime you are bound to that EULA, so theres no real excuse in 'I didn't read the EULA'.

As for your other 2 questions, you can find them via Google. I'm not going to do that for you. Maybe someone else can. (Unless you paid me to do it)

Last edited:

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Thank you for your favourable reply. I moved around the forum and I stepped over UT2003 and UT2004. How to make a mod. Whats a mod is and can I make a mod by getting this UT2003 from my nearby game shop. Please help.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
A modification or mod, is simply a game that can only exist if the game exists already. For example, I cannot play Air Buccaneers without having the UT2004 installs. Its the only difference these days as a lot more engines are becoming data driven in that the engines now only render things and manage subsystems (which is actually a lot harder to make than one might think). Games in the past used to be a totally different story in that you could only really make small modifications, new maps, new graphics, sounds, basically new content, but with little to minor changes to the gameplay of the original game (Think of those mods for Doom 1. They're all still Doom, maybe with a different coating).

You cannot ever sell mods or attempt to make any profit in any means from them. However, respective companies/publishers may buy these mods from you to develop for the commercial sector. Basically, this is every mods dream ... except for a few people who aren't willing to sell out.

Yes, although buying UT2004 would be more beneficial if your making a mod as there are more people who own it. Remember, with mods, you consumer base is directly tied to the amount of the people who have bought the original game.

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Hi Thankyou for your immediate reply. I have few more doubts.

1) Will be the source code for the UT2003 present in the game which I buy from the retailer? How much it costs?
2) Can I use the same Unreal Engine 2 for PC and PS2?
If not what are the difference between these two.
3) Whether can I develop a mod for PS2?

Please help

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Hi Solid Snake,

I am very much greatfull to you for your kind and quick replies.

1) Are the Software shipped to us is same or different for different platforms.

2)Can you please tell me what is the difference between the Unreal Engine 2 for PC version and Unreal Engine 2 for PS2.

Please help

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Hi according to the license agreement,

YOU MAY NOT USE THE RUNTIME SOFTWARE TO DEVELOP GAMES. YES, I KNOW THIS SOUNDS NASTY BUT LET'S FACE IT, EPIC‘S PRIMARY MEANS OF INCOME COMES FROM GAME SALES AND ENGINE LICENSING. WE WOULD BE SHOOTING OURSELVES IN THE FOOT IF WE ALLOWED AN ENGINE WE GAVE AWAY FOR FREE TO TRAMPLE OUR PRIMARY MEANS OF INCOME. SORRY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO DEVELOP A GAME PLEASE DEVELOP IT AS A MOD FOR ONE OF OUR EXISTING RETAIL GAME PRODUCTS OR CONTACT US REGARDING A PROPER ENGINE LICENSE.

Can I make a mod game inorder to develop my urealscripting skill. I feel I am not violating the license agreement. If I am wrong please correct me.

How can I make mod using unreal Engine 2 Runtime. Kindly explain.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You can't becasue there's nothing to mod(ify). The text clearly states "for one of our existing retail game products", which means you have to buy UT2004 or another Epic game and create a mod for that. Whatever you create there must only work with the retail version of that game, but you can later port the source code to your licensed version of the UnrealEngine. (without all the UT2004 content that you are allowed to use in the mod version of your game, though)

As soon as you want to use the UnrealEngine2 Runtime you are not allowed to create games. Period.

You want to create a game? License the engine or mod UT2004.

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Hi Wormbo Thankyou for your reply. May I know how the unrealscript I wrote in UT2003 communicates with the engine since engine source is not provided.
Can I extend the engine features?
What are the things which I cannot do with the UT2003 since engine source is not provided. Will the native code provided with UT2003? what could I do with native code?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You cannot do anything with the native UT200x code because it's not available.
With native code in general (i.e. when you have an engine license) you can do everything from adding small tweaks to rewrite the entire engine.

UScript <-> native code interaction is something you have to ask Epic.

Carbon Rock

Oct 4, 2005
Thank you Warmbo. Finally I decided to jump into MOD without knowing UnRealScript and even gaming experience. Ok I need not worry if experts like you and Solid Snake are around me.

Are there different CDs for UT2003/2004 in which one come with game source and other not. Why because I am very much doubtfull that whether the UT2003/2004 game CD which I will buy will come along with game source so that I can do mod on it. Which editor I should use for it. This seems to be a silly question but please help me.

Thanks in advance

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
There is 0 source code for UT2003/2004. You only get to use UnrealScript. If you want the source code, you will have to pay thousands of $$$.

You can make mods with UT2003/2004 using UnrealScript.

You can use the UnrealEd editor to make maps.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
BmB23 said:
quick and cheap solution, make it as a mod. It's the same engine so I guess you can make mods for any unreal engine 2.x game with the runtime. plus, they specifically allow you to do this in the eula.
Except that your static meshes and textures, and most likely your code, wouldn't work if dropped straight into the 2kx directories.

3d_man

Feb 3, 2006
Here is a reply from Epic games regarding the UR2 Runtime:

We may have the PERFECT product for you. We released Unreal Engine 2: Runtime specifically to address the needs of your marketplace (visualization /simulation).

You will find Unreal Engine 2: Runtime registered developer seat details here: http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/runtime/registered.shtml

We even offer a demo version of the runtime so you can make sure it works for your application before you step up to a registered license that allows commercial use. You will find Unreal Engine 2: Runtime demo details here: http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/runtime/demo.shtml

----
Regards,

Jay Wilbur
Epic Games

So while it looks like you cannot create a game per say...you can create a visualization /simulation application with it.

Hazard.ep

Oct 7, 2003
Still a problem is, when you want to develope a game on real license, you have to have loads of money. In order to get this (if you're not a bored billionaire) you'll need to convince publishers, that your project is worth financial supporting. So would I be allowed to develope a version of my game/project for demonstration I just show to the publisher, in order to convince them to finance my license? I guess there's no problem with that, is there?

Last edited: