UE2 - UT2kX Prevent players from camping on ledges

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Penir42

Apr 13, 2013
I've been working on a map for killing floor. I recently realized that if the player stands on the ledge of a wall that zombies are confused and don't attack the player.

I don't want to raise the height of the walls or restrict jump height. I don't want to use blocking volumes because this makes it impossible to fall off the map to your death.

I've tried adding a sloped (trianglular) blocking volume that doesn't prevent players from jumping over the walls, but you can still balance on the top point of the slope, still allowing players to camp there. I've tried adding a physics volume to damage players over time but if it's on a sloped ramp it goes crazy and kills the player in under a second (even with damage set to 4/second). I've also tried setting horizontal gravity to push the player off the ledge, but haven't been able to get it to react with players.

yikes... Any ideas? Btw the map is surrounded buy another physics volume that lowers gravity.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You can make balancing almost impossible by making the ground extremely slippery. The idea is to surround the offending area with a PhysicsVolume, such that only the area where people shouldn't be camping, and set its GroundFriction to zero. The best part about this solution is, that people will consider it their own fault, if the ledge is small enough. :)

Attachments

• SlipperyVolume.jpg
    SlipperyVolume.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Penir42

Apr 13, 2013
Oh ya, I forgot to mention I tried that too, I think it might not be working since I have another physics volume surrounding the whole map for low gravity. Tried various sizes of volumes and it hasn't worked so far

Penir42

Apr 13, 2013
Aahhhh! I just had to set the priorty variable in physicsvolume higher than the gravity one. Thanks for your inspiration.
-Penir