What Do Real Soldiers Think of Shooting Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
i played with a guy who did not like insurgency because it hit a bit too close to home for his taking.
That is an interesting statement. You may think about Insurgency what you please, but the mood and settings are very authentic. I haven't been there, but I know the picture from the TV and internet.
The thing is, that some people who served in the Iraq war, may totally enjoy war games if they are fiction enough, but may have a very bad taste in the mouth when playing something that comes that close to their memories of a real war.

I had that same feeling with Red Orchestra. If someone who had experienced the horror of the WW2 war would play that game, he could get a traumatic experience, while those gamers who were never there enjoy the amount of authenticity.