Doom 3, Your Opinion Of It

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I actually enjoyed this one. It came out right before I moved, and having no internet (and no job) when I first got unpacked it was perfect to crank up the surround sound, turn off the lights and get the crap scared out of you. That first level after all hell broke loose was probably the most stressful level of gaming I've ever experienced. The effect seemed to wear off as you progressed through just from getting used to expecting something around the next corner, but I enjoyed it. I was however a little dismayed as to the ending of the whole thing. The last boss is way too easy.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doom 1 and 2 are still great. I'd rather say they have a timeless quality since everything in Doom 3 looks like it's made out of the most polished metal you've ever seen, plastic, or rubber. The other people in the world, in particular, just look awful.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I liked it, as far as the graphics and mechanics go. There are more interesting plots out there, and linear shooters nowadays manage to have a bit more variety in each scene.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
You guys can say what you want about the BFG in Doom 3 but I still think that that was one of the best guns in the whole arsenal and, in general, of all the games I've played. My only complaint with it is that you never seemed to get enough ammo for it except during the very last part of course so it went underused.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Holy shit guys Doom 3 did something different than it's predecessors ten years later, what a fucking tragedy. Oh shit I just contradicted my own bitching about Duke Nukem, backpedal backpedal backpedal.

In all the fairness, Doom 3 was pretty rad and I enjoyed the fuck out of it. Haters gonna hate. People talk about how awesome it was to run around in huge monster filled mazes endlessly looking for the keycard to open the door that is giving you the Goat Man and screaming YOU SHALL NOT PASS! Honestly, it was kind of frustrating and even as a kid it used to piss me off.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Doom3 was greatly improved by the 3rd party duct-tape mod

Was it? I mean, damn, it's just some darkness. It was pretty atmospheric and made sense for a fairly early space colony to be very utilitarian and have limited lightning. I enjoyed that. People bitched about it, but then again what the fuck do people gamers not bitch about?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Was it? I mean, damn, it's just some darkness. It was pretty atmospheric and made sense for a fairly early space colony to be very utilitarian and have limited lightning. I enjoyed that. People bitched about it, but then again what the fuck do people gamers not bitch about?
The thing is, in a place that dark, there is no freaking way that the military would not have flashlights mounted on their weapons.

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
fxvt3r.jpg
Please leave. Forever.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
The thing is, in a place that dark, there is no freaking way that the military would not have flashlights mounted on their weapons.

Why would you need much of a military presence on a colonized world? Any such presence is bound to be perfunctory and ill equipped. I mean, really, flashlights mounted on guns? You can't be serious! We have night vision, man! Why would you ever need such a thing? What? We don't have night vision gear? What the fuck? What in the goddamn fuck?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They obviously have a permanent military presence there. There is no reason they wouldn't. And if they were using night vision, where the crap is it in the armory at the very beginning of the game?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Please leave. Forever.
Maybe I will tomorrow and give you girls an opportunity to change your tampons.
Why would you need much of a military presence on a colonized world? Any such presence is bound to be perfunctory and ill equipped. I mean, really, flashlights mounted on guns? You can't be serious! We have night vision, man! Why would you ever need such a thing? What? We don't have night vision gear? What the fuck? What in the goddamn fuck?
Well, one could justify it by saying something like Hell invading the base messed up the Night vision goggles to where they wouldn't work properly or something. I don't know. Or maybe id was going to add such goggles in but ran out of time.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
jesus christ are you fucking stupid the joke was that there are no such devices available because it's a shitty outpost on mars where there are no humans who don't work for UAC why the fuck would they have anything but the bare minimum posting of soldiers to satisfy security requirements? The only thing they'd likely be equipped for is dealing with riots or some other shit. Not full scale warfare.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
jesus christ are you fucking stupid the joke was that there are no such devices available because it's a shitty outpost on mars where there are no humans who don't work for UAC why the fuck would they have anything but the bare minimum posting of soldiers to satisfy security requirements? The only thing they'd likely be equipped for is dealing with riots or some other shit. Not full scale warfare.
Right, and that's why they have high tech plasma guns and chainguns and prototype BFG 9000's going around the base, locked up in security lockers and checkpoints, not counting the increased security from weird sightings and crap. Also, it's in the military's best interest to guard the UAC anyway as the UAC are the ones providing the future weapons and tech to the military. Look at Area 51. While, true, it's not owned by a corporation, it's still guarded in every possible way.