Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Steam is better than Xfire, but unfortunately that isn't saying much.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
It seems like unless Valve adds CD-Key support for UT3, you won't be able to access retail Unreal games from another PC.

EisWiesel

... !!!
Jan 19, 2008
www.ut436.de
i remember when i first installed steam and had to migrate half-life and all mods to steam to play them... that was the time where steam just started and nobody was able to login cause of the overloaded steam-servers...

as long as all the unreal-games are absolute independent from steam, there should be no problem...

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
[SAS]Solid Snake;2101019 said:
a) It's pissed me off because I bought UT3 for $110 NZD. i.e, I bought it when it was occupying shelf space. Games eventually shift to low price games, but not within this timeframe (unless they are really awful).

IPhone, and UT3. ;)

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
What is the big deal about UT3 being available on Steam? Is this something that really only MP online players should be excited about? I have Steam and have had it since HL2 but I just don't see the amazing thing about this. You don't even need to have the DVD in the tray to play the game after you install it so I really don't understand all this enthusiasm ... and I am not trying to dampen it ... I just want in on the party so to speak, so that I can use Steam more effectively. I don't dislike Steam so don't get me wrong. I have Lost Planet as well as EP1, EP2, SiN 1, and the lost coast level and I will probably get the PC verison of Bioshock at some point just to check out the graphics on the PC with DX10.

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
I just played UT for the first time in 3 years ^^

Memories are better than the real thing. ;) So cool to see the little Epic icons on steam.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
What is the big deal about UT3 being available on Steam? Is this something that really only MP online players should be excited about? I have Steam and have had it since HL2 but I just don't see the amazing thing about this. You don't even need to have the DVD in the tray to play the game after you install it so I really don't understand all this enthusiasm ... and I am not trying to dampen it ... I just want in on the party so to speak, so that I can use Steam more effectively. I don't dislike Steam so don't get me wrong. I have Lost Planet as well as EP1, EP2, SiN 1, and the lost coast level and I will probably get the PC verison of Bioshock at some point just to check out the graphics on the PC with DX10.
People are excited since it'll add more users.

U

Unregistered

It's about time. I'm tired of the ****ty experience I receive at stores such as Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Gamestop, and others, when trying to buy a PC game. Steam makes my life easier, and while people argue "what happens when steam shuts down?"

Ditto!
IF computer stores around here had the game (well after launch) it would cost me probably $120. Which is why I bootlegged it via bittorrent... -> ... Which is why I can only play against bots... -> ... Which is why I haven't played it for many months now.

I was going up to Florida over the Easter holiday to finally buy it but now I don't have to :)

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
METACRITIC SCORES, presented by Steam:

CS(S): 88

TF2: 92

UT: 92

UT2k4: 93

Metacritic Agrees.. Unreal beats CS and TF2. :D

So anyway, does UT by Steam offer the patented "100%, ready to play" or is it the usual third party game-engine "shortcut" as addable by default?

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
METACRITIC SCORES, presented by Steam:

CS(S): 88

TF2: 92

UT: 92

UT2k4: 93

Metacritic Agrees.. Unreal beats CS and TF2. :D
No idea what that has to do with this thread... but UT 2004 is the highest rated game in the series according to MetaCritic :D yay!

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
So anyway, does UT by Steam offer the patented "100%, ready to play" or is it the usual third party game-engine "shortcut" as addable by default?

100% Ready to play

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
People are excited since it'll add more users.

Is that a guarantee though or just wishful thinking? Is this really what has been holding UT3 back for the past four months ... the fact that is has not been available on Steam? If so cool ... but I don't think it is quite as simple as that (although I admit I could be completely wrong ... the numbers from this transaction should be interesting so hopefully they will release that info to the general public in due time). But then again that deal is such a good deal. Basically buy UT3 and get all the other Unreal games for free ... that is hard to turn your back on if you don't already own UT3. Although giving away the other games to get people to buy UT3 seems a bit like an act of desperation ... I could see two for one but ALL of that ... man what a bargain.

No idea what that has to do with this thread... but UT 2004 is the highest rated game in the series according to MetaCritic :D yay!

Just to add to this you have to include Gamerankings to be fair and complete (in fact imo GR is where you get the real deal):

HL2 - 95.5
Orange Box - 96.2
TF2 - 92.6
UT3 - 83.4
UT2K3 - 88.2
UT2K4 - 92.9
UT2K4 ECE - 94
CS -89.2
CS:Source - 87.9
UT - 93.6
Unreal II SE - 83
Unreal - 88

So yep even on Gamerankings UT2K4 rules the day over all other Unreal titles ... I'm just shocked at how high TOB is rated when only two of the games included are totally new and HL2:ep2 is so late that should cost some points. :lol:

Last edited:
M

Mr. Shrike

Converting to Steam

Is there any way to convert the CD version of all these games to the Steam version? I think I remember being able to do that with half life, but I was never able to try it out, because someone stole my key somehow.

Apr 11, 2006
Is that a guarantee though or just wishful thinking? Is this really what has been holding UT3 back for the past four months ... the fact that is has not been available on Steam? If so cool ... but I don't think it is quite as simple as that (although I admit I could be completely wrong ... the numbers from this transaction should be interesting so hopefully they will release that info to the general public in due time). But then again that deal is such a good deal. Basically buy UT3 and get all the other Unreal games for free ... that is hard to turn your back on if you don't already own UT3. Although giving away the other games to get people to buy UT3 seems a bit like an act of desperation ... I could see two for one but ALL of that ... man what a bargain.

Same deal I got when buying it from GameSpot (albeit it's 4 months later and ~$10 cheaper). But then, I got a tin, the bonus DVD, and the art book.

I do think a Steam-like system is the future of games, so I'm glad to see this move. I'm also glad that I don't have to use Steam.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
I thought the Gamestop deal was the Anthology which includes UT2K3 as well as UT2K4 ... am I mistaken?

Apr 11, 2006
I thought the Gamestop deal was the Anthology which includes UT2K3 as well as UT2K4 ... am I mistaken?

Unreal, Return to Na Pali, Unreal Tournament, Unreal 2, Unreal 2004.

Probably the single best gaming value for your dollar in existence (besides free games, which tend to tear a hole in the fabric of cost-benefit comparisons).