Emplacements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
That's a terrible way of looking at it. Your view may be severely limited inside a tank, removing peripheral vision, but you still have peripheral vision for your instruments. That counts for a lot. Since peripheral vision is extraordinarily difficult to model well with a normal monitor, 3rd person is generally the best compromise for driving and melee combat in games.

[C22]-Acolyte

Ai kotoba afuro to gunsou!
Jan 20, 2002
INF-land
Visit site
Well those instruments can be added to the HUD for instance, but I remain stern that the view should only be limited to 1st person view. 3rd person view would make it too simple plus you'd see more than the regular guy on the field since the camera would have to be placed some distance behind the vehicle. Not really realistic is it? With the 3rd person view you would also remove your blind spot and be able to see behind your back too.

This is Inf, we shouldn't compromise realism in favor of easier game play when it comes to vehicles (as we do not want them to be used as in the Battlefield games!)

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
New weapons suggestions have been debated for almost 3 years. Let's hammer out "vehicles" while we're waiting.

Vehicles that should be used, if any:

Hummers and Blackhawks. The end. I think anything past that scale would make it too much like Desert Combat; and we all know how sweet that game is.... :rolleyes:

Flying above a city for recon/strafing runs/pickups and transportation would be extremely fun. Also, navigating a hummer convoy would be kinda cool. Repelling from the Blackhawks onto rooftops and combat zones is a must. :D

You are such a fucking tool that I don't know where to begin.

First, Blackhawks are utility aircraft. They don't strafe anything. You don't rapel from a Blackhawk, either. Rapelling is what you do when you descend a wall of some sort with a rope. Fast roping from a blackhawk needs a little more cooperation and skill than I think Inf players are capable of, to be honest.

The way air assets like a blackhawk are implimented in the field can't really be replicated in infiltration, either. There's none of this super-soldier running from the barracks to the helipad and firing up the bird, then landing on a roof and jumping into the fight. Air units are given a specific pattern to fly in before they even take off.

They know exactly where they're going and what they're doing before their engines are even warm, and there's no way in hell I trust you idiots to follow a stack of waypoints, let alone stay in the bloody cockpit when you feel like going skydiving with your M203.

It aint gonna happen. The first rule of game design is to ask yourself "What would happen if this feature was in CS?" That way, you can be sure that you've got an idea of the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario: morons like you think you can fly a blackhawk and then jump out and be a supar 1337 snipar lol while you wait to fly again.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Jaunty, Blackhawks are used for transportation, but are also fitted with miniguns. I imagine they are used. I realize they are vunerable and not used for attack. However, I imagine if they had to extract a group, they would certainly fly by and shoot at the enemy. Were you aware that the blackhawks in 2.9 (on the rails) currently do this? Yeah, I guess that makes SS a bunch of tools too.

Jaunty, you're special. You and SaraP should hang out and search google together.

Jaunty, I'm talking about starting a mission in a blackhawk (that can be completely on a path/computer controlled and "fast-roping" (sorry, I didn't google search that one....you're right) to the combat zone while somebody mans the gun to give you suppressive fire. I think it would be "fun". Maybe I should google search "fun"....I'm saying it would be "fun" for maybe somebody to stay in the blackhawk that flies around and relay information to the ground units, maybe even use a marksman rifle to shoot a few immediate threats. Basically, this person would be the "flying camper". LOL@!!#$ OMG!!!

Jaunty, of course you're right. I'm going to jump out of the cockpit and be the M203 "snipah" LOL!!!! UR TEH N00B!!!!

Jaunty, you're amazing.

Jaunty, I'm adding you to the list of "people that live on the forums, but never play the actual game/don't really matter".

Jaunty, you win a medal.

Also dickstick, instead of just correcting my improper term usage by google-searching, maybe you should actually pay attention to what you're complaining about:

I think anything past that scale would make it too much like Desert Combat; and we all know how sweet that game is....

Yeah, wow! Looks like I love Desert Combat!!! I love arcade vehicle-based games!!! OMG! JUMP OUT WHILE WE'RE FLYING! LOL!!!!!

Why haven't you killed yourself yet?

You gay hobbit.

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Actually, "rapelling" can and is a proper term to use when exiting a helicopter..... ive done it. Walls are not necessary to rapell jaunty. Get ur facts straight. Anything that requires you to wear a "swiss seat" with d-rings can be considered rapelling. Fast roping may be some nice pretty word but it call comes down to rapelling. Trust me, ive been trained to do it. Lets not start argueing technicalities unless u know what ur talkin about..... :rolleyes:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I thought fast-roping didn't require any kind of harness? My impression of it was more akin to sliding down a fireman's poll.

-For the blackhawks, I don't think we should have any person directly piloting the helicopter. Instead, a squad leader could simply pick from a number of insertion points (depending on the map). The helicopter would then follow a predifined route to the insertion and then go back to the spawn or "base" in this case.

I am not sure how a helicopter gunner would be best handled. It seems a little unrealistic for the gunner to shoot enemy's until the helicopter reachs the insertion and then fast-rope out with the rest of the squad. It probably wouldn't be too fun to sit in the helicopter the whole match while it makes its prefined rounds either...

Mappie

Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
keihaswarrior said:
I thought fast-roping didn't require any kind of harness? My impression of it was more akin to sliding down a fireman's poll.

I've seen this as well, which is done sometimes, but I most of the time a harness is used of some sort....Infact. i dont think ive seen it done from a helicopter, but it may be done. Usually the helicopter use harnesses to balance the aircraft. When one goes on one side, one must go on the other. Ur body kinda looks like this ..... __l imagine the lower line being ur staight legs ( which are resting on the landing part of the chopper) , and the upper line being ur torso and head etc. the rope goes to ur waiste and connects via the D-ring. Your back hand is your break hand. The front hand....well pretty much useless. Then when the command is given. Each side drops at the same time.

-Freshmeat

Eternally noob
Dec 4, 2003
Denmark
Visit site
Personally, I would like to be able to call in 60mm mortar support. You give them coordinates, and bang they go. Off course, the mortars would not be able to respond instantly, nor would they be too accurate, but it would sure help to clear out camping spots. I do not know how artillery support is handled in real life, but I am sure that someone with experience will be able to correct me if I am totally wrong. The biggest problem I see is that everybody isable to call in strikes, but I cannot see howto prevent it, unless you want a random person to do it.

As means of balancing, I would suggest that each player only would be able to call a few strikes, and that shelling a spawn area (or maybe even anything protected by a sniper actor) would be disallowed. I do not know how powerful a 60mm shell is, but I imagine something stronger than hand grenade or 40mm, but not capable of blowing buildings apart. A further improvement would be the ability to call in corrections from the first barrage.

This could be done as a mutator for 2.9, and I figure it would be relatively easy for some of the coders out there. You could use the black smoke puff from Yurch's 40mm for the only graphical content. The player enter coordinates and hope he has figured it right.

-Freshmeat

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
mappie said:
huurrrrr harness and Ls lol

Spot the harness;

Sgt%20Hawk%20fast%20rope.jpg

Idiot.

Mappie

Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
Wow,

Ok jaunty apparently you didnt even read my post. I said fast ropping is done however ive never seen it. How ever more often than not soldiers RAPELL. And the whole reason i started this was because u were being a crusty little kunt by tryin too look cool with your google knowledge about military procedures. Tryin to disprove cracwhores statment just made u look like more of an idiot.....Dont try to come in here and tell me abot what I HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO DO. But since you only seem to listen to the internet, below i attached two US Army photos for your pleasure. (FROM GOOGLE SO U KNOW THEY ARE LEGIT) Now, YOU find the harness..... :rolleyes:

Please tell me you are not this anal in real life, if so i tell ur friends I am deeply sorry. I hope you dont accidently get hit by a truck while u blindly cross the street out of ignorance.

So, all said and done, why dont u be the good little **** that you are, and troll in another thread. Maybe in some gamers thread where u can post ur 1337 opinon on how the game is unrealistic due to some aritcal you read that was written by some 10 year old in his basment.

Uggh, i cant stand NooBs like you......

SaraP said:
The whole point of the fast-rope technique is that it doesn't require a harness. That's why it's faster.

Wow, im so glad u pointed that out..... I would have never guessed :rolleyes: . However, if u also knew the first thing about rapelling you would know that it can be done equally as fast using a harness.

edited for spelling and content

Attachments

• article1.jpg
    article1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2003010g.gif
    2003010g.gif
    88.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Repeat:I think a "pwned" is in order.

****ing gay hobbit.

Wow Jaunty, it only took you 3 days to find that picture to try and make us look like dicks.

It only takes me 3 seconds to copy and paste:

"I think a "pwned" is in order.

****ing gay hobbit."

To make you look like a dick (again).

I win.

...I wasn't orginally going to have much more of an argument besides the point that you're a feg....

But here goes...

A random pic of a random guy with a gun randomly "fast-roping" down a random rope in the middle of some random desert. Where's the Blackhawk Bilbo?

SaraP: The whole point of posting on forums of a gaming community is that you play the game the forums are based on. That's why nobody likes you.

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
The idiot who can't spell said:
durrrrrr random pic!!!

Read the URL, champ. 26MEU.USMC.MIL

26th Marine Expiditionary Unit, United States Marine Corps. If you knew half as much as you think you did, you'd notice he's wearing USMC MARPAT camo. Only the canadians have similar camo, and it aint that similar.

Took me three days? No, it took me three minutes, if that. I just don't visit suggestions all that often because it's a painfully slow forum and can go 3 or 4 days without any significant posts.

And what's this "hurrr you don't play it so ur wrong hurrrrr" crap? You think just because someone isn't on the same server as you, they don't play? You don't know what you're talking about when it comes to putting things in the game, but you're willing to venture into the realm of dictating people's activities to them? Go away.

Last edited:

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
jaunty said:
...there's no way in hell I trust you idiots to follow a stack of waypoints, let alone stay in the bloody cockpit when you feel like going skydiving with your M203...Worst case scenario: morons like you think you can fly a blackhawk and then jump out and be a supar 1337 snipar lol while you wait to fly again.
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
I'm saying it would be "fun" for maybe somebody to stay in the blackhawk that flies around and relay information to the ground units, maybe even use a marksman rifle to shoot a few immediate threats. Basically, this person would be the "flying camper". LOL@!!#$ OMG!!!

Jaunty, of course you're right. I'm going to jump out of the cockpit and be the M203 "snipah" LOL!!!! UR TEH N00B!!!!

LOL! :lol: Threads allways get entertaining when Jaunty shows up, regardless of who's right and who's wrong (if anyone is right for that matter). Thank you for this ammusement.

Anyway, I have to agree the Blackhawks should be flown automatically instead of by players. By all means, let the team leader decide on the helo's path, but I don't think direct piloting would work. Playable gunners could work, relaying info could be usefull, and I'm sure there would be times when you'd want a real player working the MGs and not have to rely on some dimwit auto-bot. It's just a matter of figuring out how to work out the details of the rules so things work out properly. If people can just leave the game and rejoin when they get bored of gunning, it won't work out too well.