How often do you reformat?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How often do you reformat your hard drive?

• Total voters

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
OK so yesterday I turned on my computer and saw a nice juicy flagrant system error, complete with blue screen. I realized that I hadn't reformatted my computer in about a year and a half. I don't have scheduled reformats, but usually the spyware weighs more than the OS and the Norton hits the fan every six months. So, how often do you guys reformat your hard drive? Just curious. I've heard some people say they do it every week.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I use to do it almost twice a month it seemed like, I always thought it was from viruses and spyware, but it turns out it was just a bad hard drive. Ever since I built a new computer and got new hard drives i've been chugging along just fine and everything has been great.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I've only reformatted once on this machine and done a repair install of Windows once, both when things f**ked up. One morning I turned on the computer and was greeted with the message that hal.dll had gone missing for no reason, and without that Windows can't communicate properly with hardware so I had to get it back with a repair. The reformat came about when Fedora Core 4 ate my boot record. :(

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
I've been using windoze for over 2 years now, and never once done a reformat.

But then I'm crazy that way.

I've done system restore a few times, though... useful feature, that one.

Last edited:

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
I reformat only when :-

1. My Hard drive is full
2. Something I use often buggers up really bad (last time I installed some stupid .avi codec and I couldn't play video files any more)
3. I buy a new hard-drive.

It's very rare that #2 happens so it's usually a good few years between reformats. Also what I tend to do is just buy a larger hard drive when it gets full then transfer the files over and donate the old hard drive to someone.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Used to do it every year, but now I've had a stable system that I haven't reformatted since January, 2004. :D

I don't plan to reformat again until I get a new motherboard or a new version of Windows.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
If you have to reformat your drive every month or more you shouldn't be using computers.

I reformatted my current machine when I installed it, about 2 years ago.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
Cap'n Beeb said:
Only when necessary.

:stupid:

I reformated recently. I have a ghost image now(didn't have one before reformating) so I'll probably not have to reformat for a long time. :)

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
_Zd_Meelobee_ said:
If you have to reformat your drive every month or more you shouldn't be using computers.

I reformatted my current machine when I installed it, about 2 years ago.
:stupid:

According to WinZip, it's been installed for 1065 days, so, that was the last time I formatted (when the system was built). Still going strong with only the odd hiccup that was easily fixed.