NEVER take your heat sink off!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Back in 2000 I had an AMD Athlon 950 which, after doing some work in the system, I had forgotten to put the heatsink back on. When I turned it on, the system froze during the memory test and started to smell funny, after which I immediately turned it off. Then I realized the heatsink was still sitting on the desk. Dead CPU after just 6 seconds.

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
I`ve fried dozens of XP chips, they never break apart like that, looks to me like they shot it with a .22 or something through the hole in the table and motherboard. Totally faked.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Rukee said:
I`ve fried dozens of XP chips, they never break apart like that, looks to me like they shot it with a .22 or something through the hole in the table and motherboard. Totally faked.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. There's no way they'll violently fly out of the motherboard like that just because it got too hot.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
I wish I had the money to blow on my own experiments like this. We could even have contests to see who's CPU launches the farthest!

Cool videos indeed (even if faked)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Rukee said:

Then that would explain the hole in the table.