UT2004 vs U2 multiplayer patch

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I have noted the mention of a u2 multiplayer patch comming from admins posting on the site. In fact they've even made a little poll about it however...

I very highly doubt that the developers would go back on what the decided. The last thing we need to see is people debating and convincing eachother to play the u2 multiplayer or the ut2k3. Not to mention the fact that ut2004 is pretty much the same as what they wanted for expanded multiplayer. The decision was made that they don't want these two games competing that's why ut2 is single player and ut2003 is multiplayer. They might make co op patch but otherwise I highly doubt anything else is going to happen. Now there is a chance that I'm wrong and they make an xmp patch for U2. However we have very little evidence to suggest such a thing. It's just a rumor. We should not be toying U2 vs ut2k4 ideas based off rumors, and we definatly shouldn't be doing it through the bu news posts/polls. It's bad for the community.

It'd be nice if somebody locked this thread.

Last edited:

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
Why lock it? Good 'ol Scott Dalton is the one who started this speculation and surly would like us to continue it. It's fun and at the very least, great ideas usually come from speculation, which in turn, could become great mods or mutators of the future.

*edited for grammar*

Last edited:

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
TWD, the developers have already stated that they'd like to revisit Unreal 2 multiplayer at some point, and as KJAX says, Scott himself started the speculation.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Lock a thread that POTENTIALLY could become a flame war....or be smart and post intelligently :p

I personally would still love to see Unreal2 have multiplayer added to it. Unfortunately, I am and always will be more excited for UT2004 due to the features it finally adds. I would still happily download and probably play a U2 multiplayer expansion though.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
I think it would be great if they took all the XMP content and added it to UT2k3/4 with a bonus pack. That way, they don't have to fix the broken netcode and all that nasty business in U2, and provide something new (and free) for the community. With a lot of the content done and the simliarity of the engines (Legend added a ton of stuff to the U2 engine), it shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
As far as netcode goes, I think Mike Lambert (brother of our very own Chris 'clambert' Lambert) was working on netcode for Unreal 2 before they pulled the plug on XMP.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I really wanted a chance to use some of those guns online. The XMP gametype sounded like a lot of fun, and I see no reason for them not to release it at this point. It's not going to compete with UT2003, but it sure would get people talking about U2 again.

TWD, are you admonishing Raptor for posting a poll about it? It's all just for

F - U - N

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
TWD said:
I have noted the mention of a u2 multiplayer patch comming from admins posting on the site. In fact they've even made a little poll about it however...

I very highly doubt that the developers would go back on what the decided. The last thing we need to see is people debating and convincing eachother to play the u2 multiplayer or the ut2k3. Not to mention the fact that ut2004 is pretty much the same as what they wanted for expanded multiplayer. The decision was made that they don't want these two games competing that's why ut2 is single player and ut2003 is multiplayer. They might make co op patch but otherwise I highly doubt anything else is going to happen. Now there is a chance that I'm wrong and they make an xmp patch for U2. However we have very little evidence to suggest such a thing. It's just a rumor. We should not be toying U2 vs ut2k4 ideas based off rumors, and we definatly shouldn't be doing it through the bu news posts/polls. It's bad for the community.

It'd be nice if somebody locked this thread.
Okay, time to reveal the many flaws in your arguement...

1) The developers are not going back on their decision. The decision was that Unreal II would not feature multiplayer out of the box. The developers have already expressed an interest in revisiting the multiplayer aspect of Unreal II, see the second question in this interview.

2) I doubt it would be seen as competing with UT2003, as Unreal II would probably offer a completely different experience. Unreal II will have different powerup style, different weapons, no doublejump, placeable field generators, turrets, all of which are absent from UT2003/4. UT2004 is not XMP.

3) They already said that making a co-op mode wasn't feasable. I'd be more surprised to see a co-op add-on for Unreal II than a regular multiplayer add-on.

4) Yes, it's a rumor, but it's a rumor fuelled by statements and hints from the developers. If they didn't want us to talk about it, they'd say nothing at all.

5) My news post clearly states that the poll is based on the hypothetical situation that some sort of XMP add-on for Unreal II does appear. It doesn't mislead people into thinking otherwise. It's a fun poll, and can hardly harm the community, really. We're just seeing what a possible multiplayer add-on would change about people's thoughts on UT2004.

6) Creating a thread and then asking for it to be locked is a bit stupid. It's like saying "here's my opinion, I don't care what the rest of you think". The whole point of posting here is to exchange thoughts and opinions.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Perhaps they're planning on adding a random-SP-mission generator featuring those attack/defend-style scenarios from the main game ?

Or perhaps it's just the return of the Nali Warcow (& a few U2-specific models/weapons)to the UT'03 arena ?
The original gametype might also be done as a partial or total-conversion for UT'03.

At least IMHO developing a MP-feature for U2 is a lot of effort, unless they had kept it in a separate source-tree just in case they wanted to add it to the U2-codebase.

If a MP-feature is made then I do hope they take care of the bots as well.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
No man can serve two masters for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

You think things are bad now with people fighting over ut2k3 and ut1? There's only one thing you could do to make that situation worse make: a full scale multiplayer for unreal2.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
TWD said:
No man can serve two masters for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

You think things are bad now with people fighting over ut2k3 and ut1? There's only one thing you could do to make that situation worse make: a full scale multiplayer for unreal2.
Games and deities are two different things. Where in the UT2003 manual does it say "thou shalt have no other games"?

People are hardly fighting over the two UT games right now. Those who like UT1 play UT1. Those who like UT2003 play UT2003. Sure, there'll be some discussion and even arguement over which is better, but we're hardly in a state of civil war or anything. The same will happen with Unreal II MP if it's released. If anything it'll serve to extend the life of the Unreal community and that of Unreal II as a game rather than fracturing the community.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm hoping that whatever it is will revive the SP aspect of the Unreal Universe, because in my mind Unreal SP is about an inch away from extinction due to Unreal 2's release.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
Actually, if they add multiplayer to U2, they'll probably be able to sell more copies which equals more money, which is what every company wants to do. As far as a business model goes, giving the consumer more options is always great for boosting sales and profit margins.

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
They release a U2 mp addon and I'll actually reinstall the game and get more than 5 hours of gameplay out of it. At the moment U2 means nothing to me, more or less something which shouldn't have been released.

Reaper

-----------------
Nov 14, 2000
Bedburg-Hau, Germany
www.hergaden.de
Sir_Brizz said:
I'm hoping that whatever it is will revive the SP aspect of the Unreal Universe, because in my mind Unreal SP is about an inch away from extinction due to Unreal 2's release.

w3rd!

The single player part is what I missed the most in the last few years. Maybe I had too great expectations but that was their fault in the first place. Why do they make such an awesome game and then kick ut that crappy sequel which in fact has nothing to do with the first game? Oh, yeah "the Skaarj" are back I hear you say. But why do they look and behave like brutes then? They better surprise me with a damn good Unreal³. And this time please put no resources in a multiplayer part which will be cancelled anyway. After all thats what Unreal Tournament is for, right?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
they would be smarter to have both companies work on each thing and figure out some way to integrate them at the end so you can play with the models and everything of one game on the other and vice versa if you really felt like it :p

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
It was great that everything in Unreal was compatible with UT. It would be really nice to sync up all the technology again, even if the content is owned by seperate companies.