UT OpenGL commands?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'm about to start messing with a new install of UT from the Anthology (UT-GOTY edition, Nvidia card) and was wondering about some OpenGL commands and stuff. I have a similar thread in the Unreal section for Unreal Gold but I thought I'd keep them separate for now. Also, the discussion in the Tweaks... thread has evolved beyond this, so I started a new thread.

I finally checked the settings (in an old UT install, non-GOTY, ATI card) in the console under preferences for Display and OpenGL and a few other things and wondered why some commands don't even show up and why there are extra commands as follows:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
- besides Windowed... and Fullscreen... commands, why don't these two commands appear in the console?
MipFactor=1.000000
LowDetailTextures=False

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
- why don't these commands appear in the console?
UseGammaExtension=True
UseModulatedGamma=False
Translucency=True
UseTruForm=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseFilterSGIS=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False

- why do these extra commands appear in the console that aren't in my UT.ini file? Should I add them for UT?
CacheStaticMaps=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
NoMaskedS3TC=False
UseFragmentProgram=False

I still have yet to properly install the GOTY edition of UT beyond the initial install because I'm still messing with Unreal Gold, but I'll be doing it soon. Thanks for any input or suggestions. I know about most of links and sites to go to from the other threads, but just would like to know about the necessity and appearance of some of these commands.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I pretty much have figured out what I'm putting in my UT ini file for my new system, except anyone know about the UseFragmentProgram command? It's the only extra command that appears between UnrealGold and UT-GOTY (both Anthology) in the Advanced Options console. I read something about if this is set to True, then the UseVertexProgram should be set to False and vice versa. I already know I'm setting the UseVertexProgram to False, so maybe I should set this to True (right now it's False in the console for some odd reason).

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
You need one of the latest OpenGL renderers for the latter commands you listed to appear.

AIUI the UseFragmentProgram command basically offloads some of the rendering work from the CPU onto the GPU (It enables Pixel Shader 2.0 support under the D3D9 renderer, not quite sure what it does under OpenGL). Definitely set it to true. That's all I understand about it, apart from the UseVertexProgram is for older cards that don't support the necessary extensions to run the fragment program (and older versions of the OpenGL.dll file that didn't have Fragment Program included).

If anyone else fully understands all the OpenGL/D3D9 options and what they actually do, I'd like to know as well.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yep, I have version 3.4 UTGLR, so that's probably why it appears with the console command. What I meant to say is it doesn't appear in UnrealGold but does in UT-GOTY with the console command and that's probably why. I'll set it to True. Thank you.:)

Also, there are many guides that explain most of the commands (UTGLR, OldUnreal, at this forum, etc.), but not all of them. Once I get all my settings and installs straight (as well as tweaking my old UT install) for Unreal Gold and UT-GOTY, I might come back and post a guide of all I know for the commands in my OpenGL section for UT. I did have one in that Tweaks... thread (not all the commands I used), but not sure which page.

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
I've read your tweaking thread and all the comments on Chris Dohnal's site, but several of the explanations leave me none the wiser as to what the actual commands are for and what they actually do (although some of them are obvious like "masked texture hack", anistropy, AA etc)

As i said in my explanation of Fragment Program, I've got an idea of what it does, just not how it does it (or what the Fragment Program or Vertex Program actually are). These are the sort of things I'd like easy-to-understand explanations for. For instance in the new D3D9 renderer explanation it's stated that "Everything is PS 2.0". I'd like to know just what is using the pixel shaders for rendering (though I can guess that at least some of the weapon effects are, the shock explosions are now missing a transparent square box they used to have and look much prettier than they did on my rig using D3D9).

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I tried googling all that stuff the last time I was changing UT settings and I couldn't find much either, but just enough to know what I might want to set most of the settings at and the others I just left as what most people have.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Interestingly Epic left some notes about best settings for different cards that you can find in OpenGLDrv.ini. So I guess if you're not sure about something, set it like it's set there.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Funny thing about the DescFlags setting that we can safely ignore is it seems to generate within the D3D section in UT and not in the OpenGL section. At least that's what I noticed when I was messin' with my UT-GOTY files. In the D3D section it is set to 1 and shows my video card, but maybe I edited the video card description last week when I first installed UT-GOTY....not sure but the 1 was definitely there before. Anyway, I should be posting my UT-GOTY OpenGL section sometime late this week or early next week.:)

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Heh... I'm amazed this guy's doing a guide like that. :lol:

I turn most stuff on for two reasons...

1. UT already runs insanely fast for me and I have to limit its framerate anyway
  2. I'm training my eyes to see people even with eye candy enabled (really helps out in UT3)
It also looks like he snagged bits of hints from my recommendations. :p

Some of them I don't really agree with though... like needing 16-bit color and stuff. The game already performs too fast as it is without stuff like that; a modern day PC will likely have to actually force UT to slow its rendering down rather than try to speed it up. Setting options like that is just to make players stand out more, which is kind of cheap. (I liken it a bit to the people who abuse picmip options in UT3.)

Also, one of his bits of "advice" is flat-out wrong... specifically, the "UseSSE2" bit. That'll only work on processors with SSE2 (AMD 64, Pentium 4) on the hardware. At best, it'll be flipped back to False... at worst, the game won't even run as it tries to use SSE2 code for the renderer and bombs out not finding it!

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Doesn't it only use the SSE2 code if it needs to? I have both SSE and SSE2 set to True or 1 or whatever and my game on the C2D runs fine (same on P4 system, what should they be set to for each one of these systems?). Maybe it flips it back to False. OK, so I won't be posting the OpenGL for either UT (or Unreal) that soon yet.:)

Isn't that an older web site page? I think I've seen that before a while ago.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Doesn't it only use the SSE2 code if it needs to? I have both SSE and SSE2 set to True or 1 or whatever and my game on the C2D runs fine (same on P4 system, what should they be set to for each one of these systems?). Maybe it flips it back to False. OK, so I won't be posting the OpenGL for either UT (or Unreal) that soon yet.:)

Isn't that an older web site page? I think I've seen that before a while ago.
Pentium 4 and Core 2 both have SSE2 instructions, so it should always be true. :p

For Intel CPUs, Pentium III and lower will not have SSE2; for AMD, Athlon XP and lower will not have them. To test how it behaves, you'd need one of those systems or lower.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Here is my OpenGL, etc. stuff from the UnrealTournament.ini file:

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=1024
WindowedViewportY=768
WindowedColorBits=32
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1200
FullscreenColorBits=32
Brightness=0.500000
MipFactor=1.000000
UseDirectDraw=True
UseJoystick=False
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=True
CurvedSurfaces=True
LowDetailTextures=False
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
SlowVideoBuffering=False
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1000.000000
ScaleRUV=2000.000000
MinDesiredFrameRate=20.000000
Decals=True
NoDynamicLights=False
UseDirectInput=False
ParticleDensity=0
NoFractalAnim=False
SkinDetail=High
TextureDetail=High

[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
UseFilter=True
UseSurround=True
UseStereo=True
UseCDMusic=False
UseDigitalMusic=True
UseSpatial=False
UseReverb=True
Use3dHardware=True
LowSoundQuality=False
ReverseStereo=False
Latency=40
OutputRate=44100Hz
EffectsChannels=32
DopplerSpeed=9000.000000
MusicVolume=160
SoundVolume=192
AmbientFactor=0.700000

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseGammaExtension=True
UseModulatedGamma=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
UseS3TC=True
UseTNT=False
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxTMUnits=0
LODBias=0.000000
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
ShareLists=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePrecache=False
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
SinglePassDetail=False
singlePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
ZRangeHack=True
UseTrilinear=True
OneXBlending=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
SwapInterval=0
FrameRateLimit=160
UseAA=True
NumAASamples=8
AAFilterHint=0
NoAATiles=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
NoFiltering=False
Use16BitTextures=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseFilterSGIS=True
UseVertexSpecular=False
UseVertexProgram=True
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseZTrick=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
BufferClippedActorTris=False
BufferTileQuads=False
UseSSE=True
UseSSE2=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseTexPool=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
DisableSpecialDT=False
SupportsLazyTextures=False
CacheStaticMaps=False
NoMaskedS3TC=False
DescFlags=0
Description=Nvidia EVGA GTX 280 1GB

this will change as I make changes; only AA and AF remains to be decided on now!

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
MinDesiredFrameRate=30.000000

set like your monitor for no visual lag

May be
MinDesiredFrameRate=60.000000

mine is
MinDesiredFrameRate=75.000000