Sometimes I am flabbergasted

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
(@OP) Urgh. You just complained about the teaparty people being partisan, as you cited the New York Times as a source. Urghfldargh.

No, I complained that a growing fringe group that associates themselves with the tea party is insane and the motivating force for a great many of them is the hyperbolic rhetoric used in debates. I even made note that not all Tea Party people are in this camp, that many of them are opposed to even Republican policies, etc. I even mocked my source as left wing.

The problem is that people in their partisan fighting are using increasingly absurd language which inflates the direness of the situation so that it seems that if the right wins our country will die and if the left wins we will be living in a dictatorship. It is ridiculous because only an idiot would believe this--the problem is that a lot of idiots ARE believing it and going off and getting together to say that civil war is needed, the other party must be opposed at all costs, etc. This isn't about politics so much as it is about common flipping sense. For example, me and Brizz disagree VERY much about health care but we are able to state our opinions, argue through them in a logical manner and in the end realize that the other has good points that we simply cannot agree with. Larkin believes that the left wants to destroy the constitution, the SC is in on it and that our country is headed for a dictatorship and when you make a point he will deny it with inflated language and change the point. Kiff isn't QUITE that bad. The first example is GOOD political disagreement, the second example is the problem that creates/supports the nutjobs and has made our current political climate one in which things are not getting done as they should be.

And it is the left as well as the right. I mean, Nanci Pelosi is probably the biggest bitch in the country.

~Jason

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
That does not address the issue or problem. Simply stating that is how it works is BS. So what happens when 90% or more of the budget is just to pay the interest on the loans? Every year the cost rises and becomes a larger percentage of the budget. There are real consequences to printing more money in order to spend spend spend. If the T-Bill rates start to increase from the tiny current rate of way less than a percent to say 2 percent. or even much higher, the $383 billion we spent in 2009 will look like chump change. Take a look at the history of the T-Bill rates. We are at a historic low, if it was any lower it would be zero.. How long do you really think that will last?

Stating "All is Well" shows your inability to understand the trend and direction we are heading. Common sense is not very common in the US at all.

But see now you are trying to change the subject. Remember that I stated that as long as it stays in line with the GDP it's not a problem right? If it was 90% of the budget then it would certainly be a problem. However, that would mean that we haven't kept it in step with the GDP like I stated.

That's great that you have all these facts and statistics, but I'd appreciate it if you could actually discuss the central thesis of my argument which is "as long as debt remains below a certain percentage of GDP it's not a problem". This is the third post now that you have failed to even address the point.

I personally do not appreciate being insulted in such a way simply because you cannot argue the actual point. I would point out that I am intimately engaged in the financial industry. In fact I'll be starting a job at the world's leading financial company this summer. Just because you read a few things on Ron Paul's website does not make you any more of an expert than the rest of us. It does not make your opinion so "obviously correct", and it does not give you the right to insult my intelligence.

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
But see now you are trying to change the subject. Remember that I stated that as long as it stays in line with the GDP it's not a problem right? If it was 90% of the budget then it would certainly be a problem. However, that would mean that we haven't kept it in step with the GDP like I stated.
I'm sure you're aware that the debt is reaching 100% of our GDP this year. And as you're implying (I think), it can take a drastic swing if a fragile economy starts to cave. So, I think that may be the point he's trying to make.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Larkin believes that the left wants to destroy the constitution, the SC is in on it and that our country is headed for a dictatorship

1. I don't believe its just the left. The constitution has been and will continue to be destroyed by both sides of the aisle.
2. I don't believe it is headed for a dictatorship.
3. Don't jump to conclusions about what I say. Understand them, then put them out there. If you want to paint me as an idiot or rant about how horrible I am then at least get things right.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm sure you're aware that the debt is reaching 100% of our GDP this year. And as you're implying (I think), it can take a drastic swing if a fragile economy starts to cave. So, I think that may be the point he's trying to make.

We've seen worse. I know we've been talking about 90% but just looking at historical levels even that isn't the end of the world.

514px-USDebt.png

The point is just that we're far from critical mass, and things will start to improve if GDP ends up being good in 2010/2011. Even if we passed healthcare we'd probably live through it, although it's not advisable.

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Correction: It's near 100% gdp deficit, not debt, but the debt will get there around 2020. That said, what about the doubling of our paper currency? It that's not handled brilliantly (lol) we could have some very, very serious inflation.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster

That's great that you have all these facts and statistics, but I'd appreciate it if you could actually discuss the central thesis of my argument which is "as long as debt remains below a certain percentage of GDP it's not a problem". This is the third post now that you have failed to even address the point.

I personally do not appreciate being insulted in such a way simply because you cannot argue the actual point. I would point out that I am intimately engaged in the financial industry. In fact I'll be starting a job at the world's leading financial company this summer. Just because you read a few things on Ron Paul's website does not make you any more of an expert than the rest of us. It does not make your opinion so "obviously correct", and it does not give you the right to insult my intelligence.

Your the one insulting everyones intelligence by simply stating all is well "as long as debt remains below a certain percentage of GDP it's not a problem". This is just an untested theory. Stating it as fact is not at all honest and reflects very poorly on you and anything you have to say.

Economics is not an actual science and does not use the scientific method. Modern economic theory is sometimes referred to as voodoo science. Economics is a social science which attempts to predict how an economy will react. There always seems to be at least 2 different explanations, one from the supply siders and the other Keynesian. These are nearly diametrically opposing schools of thought of how and why the economy does what it does. These diametrically opposite theories can each explain the how and why, but only after the fact. But which is correct, hah, that's the kicker, both and neither. This is why it's a waste of time to debate. You cannot have a reasonable debate with diametrically opposing views. Even after the fact, the explanations they give typically still reflect these opposing views. Modern economic theory has a very spotty record of predicting what will happen and when. There are too many variables including human behavior that tend to be unpredictable and difficult, if not impossible, to model.

The WWII era debt cannot be likened with todays. There will not be anything like the post war boom to deliver us out of debt. Anyone who argues this is blowing smoke out their hole. That time was very different from today in so many categories. Economists can say very little for certain, all they can do is guess. That is the bottom line, All they can do is guess based on an imperfect models and assumptions. How will you know who is right? You won't, not unless an economic disaster happens and blame is obvious.

Certain things can be said that could happen. If the rates on the T-Bills start to rise, so does the interest we have to pay on the debt. That's right, if the rates go up so will our debt interest payment. This can happen very fast due to the size of the debt and the extremely low current rates. Say if the rates double from the current <0.2% to 0.4%, the interest will double. So what would happen if it jumps to 1.0% or 2.0%? Do the math and you come up with crazy huge numbers that will cause the debt to sky rocket.

FYI, I do not go to any political web sites to get my info. All economic data is available on .gov web sites.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Your the one insulting everyones intelligence by simply stating all is well "as long as debt remains below a certain percentage of GDP it's not a problem". This is just an untested theory. Stating it as fact is not at all honest and reflects very poorly on you and anything you have to say.

I specifically said it was my "thesis". You can call it an "untested theory" if you'd like, but that doesn't mean that it's not correct. Besides I'm not the only person stating theories as fact. If you are correct about me, then you are just as dishonest. The difference is that all your comments do is spread fear and confuse the public.

The WWII era debt cannot be likened with todays. There will not be anything like the post war boom to deliver us out of debt. Anyone who argues this is blowing smoke out their hole. That time was very different from today in so many categories. Economists can say very little for certain, all they can do is guess. That is the bottom line, All they can do is guess based on an imperfect models and assumptions. How will you know who is right? You won't, not unless an economic disaster happens and blame is obvious.

Then let me blow smoke out of my hole. The post war boom is child's play compared to what the US economy is capable of producing. Just look at the entire boom during the 90's. There is more than enough potential out there to pay this back. All that is required is for us to take advantage of that boom to pay down the debt. Sure the WWII era was a different time. However, I don't think it makes the point any less valid. They went well over 100% debt, and nothing catastrophic happened. Your argument makes a good point as to why we might not turn it around, but it does not prove that where we're at now is already doomsday. Chances are few have a few presidencies to figure it out.

Certain things can be said that could happen. If the rates on the T-Bills start to rise, so does the interest we have to pay on the debt. That's right, if the rates go up so will our debt interest payment. This can happen very fast due to the size of the debt and the extremely low current rates. Say if the rates double from the current <0.2% to 0.4%, the interest will double. So what would happen if it jumps to 1.0% or 2.0%? Do the math and you come up with crazy huge numbers that will cause the debt to sky rocket.

The key word here is that it "could" happen. There's lots of things that could happen. All it takes is one days look at a financial newspaper to see all sorts of theories about what "could" happen that never actually come to pass.

It's true that there's a lot of uncertainty about how economics works. It's just far too complicated to predict accurately. However, your argument is just as much theory. Personally I don't think it's a good idea to throw out the entire economic system that has worked for decades because of "theory". Especially a theory that up until the rise of populist anger was considered ludicrous, and still isn't taken too seriously by the majority of the financial community. This isn't the end of the world. It is an issue that can be solved without throwing out the entire system. We just need to start cutting back a little on the spending, that's all.

Last edited:

kiff

Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
And the monetary/inflation situation?

I understand that we've had worse debt situations, but we're on course to getting right up there. Sure, we can dig ourselves out of it, but it will be a huge burden on us. And for what? So they can piss away trillions upon trillions on crap.

Also paying the debt with the "next boom" is assuming we have clear sailing ahead. What about when social security and medicare go belly up? That's coming up fairly soon. What if there's another war? We'll be in a pretty craptastic position.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Religious belief is a decision made by a person. Therefore blaming the belief is backwards.
so then what the hell am I supposed to blame?

the religion itself?
that's kind of the same thing.

ignorant people?
you can't blame them for that. religious framework often precedes any other base of logical reasoning, thus even the smartest people can be "fooled" into believing.

help a brother out.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
Are you telling me that ideas are responsible for people rather than people responsible for ideas?

Imagine I were to tell you right now that gravity is imaginary. Oh dear, you're a captive of a concept and shall now die needlessly because I said some words.

Smart people believe stupid things only when they have a reason to want to. That's all anyone's doing -- what they want to.

I like to think that you and I choose not to believe the hype because we favor reality over comfort. But who knows, maybe I'm fooling myself into not believing because I just don't want to.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
but now you're making the issue black and white; A or B.

I was not trying to say that it is always one or the other.
the most common case (at least in the United States, it seems) is that ideas are often responsible for people. I'm talking about the masses. I'm talking about the average person you see at Wal-Mart.
they wouldn't know how to get around without their crutch.

but you're also right when you say that people are often responsible for those ideas. I think we are all well aware of the people who are intentionally exploiting ideas for their gain.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
It's true that we have a culture of unquestioning ignorance that's easy to get swept up in, but it's still possible to question and know things if one just wants to. And so it's still, I think, always the individual's fault if he chooses to believe utter nonsense.

You are also right about exploitation, of course. There will always be those who are ready to sell the placebo to anyone who believes they need one.

Last edited:

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
Yeah, but when you are shopping at Wal-Mart(therefore buying cheap Chinese goods) you are being a bad American and hurting the American economy. Basically you are giving your money to China, when you could of bought something American. Them deflating their currency is because they want it cheap. They aren't hurting themselves. This is all part of the short sighted American view of the world. It seems great today, but we are digging a grave for our future.

In terms of long term sustainability I believe you are right, America will eventually need to strengthen its own manufacturing sector. But a standard economic analysis comes to the opposite conclusion; Chinese Yuan devaluation actually helps Americans and hurts Chinese citizens.

This is from a letter to the editor explaining the reasoning by analogy (which is much easier to understand compared to a technical explanation):

When I was a boy, my school held fund-raising fairs. Using dollars, my classmates and I purchased as many fair ‘tickets’ as we wanted. We then used these tickets to buy whatever foods and toys were sold at the fair. Of course, some items cost more tickets than other items. Each ticket, though, exchanged for a fixed number of dollars.

Suppose my school had undervalued its fair tickets – that is, suppose it gave too many tickets in exchange for each dollar. (Or, put differently, suppose my school had demanded in return for each fair ticket too few dollars.) Who’d be harmed? The answer is my school. By undervaluing its tickets, my school would have sold its fair items at prices below cost. Its revenue at the end of the day would have been lower than its costs. Rather than raising money, my school would have lost money – and we students would have been made wealthier as a result!

The same holds true for China. If the yuan is undervalued, you can be sure that this policy drains wealth from China rather than builds wealth there – and makes Americans richer in the process.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux

Also, here's a slightly more technical explanation of the games that the US and Chinese governments are both playing. The conclusion is that they are both trying to have their cake and eat it too.

When the US pays for Chinese exports (and it purchases much as China still maintains a large trade surplus with the US), it does so by purchasing Yuan (using Dollars) on the foreign exchange market (see *Note: below). This results in a rising Yuan ... which makes sense since a net trade surplus results in net demand for the net trade surplus currency (in this case, the Yuan). But the Chinese want to keep their export sector growing (they are still an export driven economy) and this will not happen with continued growing strength in the Yuan (trade would eventually balance back as Chinese exports to the US become more expensive and Chinese imports from the US less expensive), especially relative to the US Dollar. So, the Chinese central bank intervenes and creates ("prints") Yuan to buy US Dollars. This artificially devalues the Yuan and provides an artificial boost to the Chinese export sector (keeping the value of their currency lower than it would normally be without the intervention). This is why the Chinese central bank has so many US Dollar denominated foreign reserves ... they created them. Now that they have created them, they are stuck trying to determine the best investment choice for them. It was once a mix of US treasuries, Agency MBSs, and Agency debt. But with the nationalization of the Agencies (Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc.), China has shifted the majority of its US dollar denominated foreign reserves to US treasuries.

So on one side, you have the US complaining (legitimately) about the Chinese manipulating their currency. But in the same breath, the US is lobbying for more investment in its debt (sorry, cannot have it both ways) as the amount of debt issuance required of the US Treasury has grown to unsustainable levels.

On the other side, you have the Chinese complaining (legitimately) about the US devaluing its currency and making Chinese investments in US Dollar denominated assets less stable. But in the same breath, the Chinese continue to print Yuan to buy Dollars due to their trade surplus and their desire to artificially support their export sector. The Chinese can solve their own problem by not printing Yuan to buy Dollars (devaluing their currency relative to the Dollar). But like the US, they want it both ways.

*Note: Even if a Chinese exporter accepts US Dollars without first converting to Yuan, the result is still the same ... these Dollars will be subsequently exchanged for Yuan on the foreign exchange market.

Last edited: