UT2004 Key For Dedicated Server and Client?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sauntache

May 13, 2013
I want to set up a dedicated server for UT2004. I'm M-M-M-M-Monster Noob, so I'm not sure how to configure the stand alone dedicated server - easier for me to set up via GUI of full game at this point. Will there be any problem if I install my CD key on one machine and run as dedicated server, then install the same CD key on another machine and play on the server?

Sauntache

May 13, 2013
It says: "Warning: do not do this on a Windows computer which already has a retail UT2004 installation - it will overwrite your retail CD key with the server-only one. If this occurs, you will need to reinstall your copy of UT2004 from your original CDs".

Will I still be able to set up and launch the server via the normal game menus?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
No. Don't use a dedicated server key on the same system as your full game install.

On any modern machine (say, 2006 or later) with dual or better cores you can run the dedicated server on the same machine as the full game. The game is single-threaded so there's no problem with running it on one core as dedicated (set it up from the full game menu) and then starting another copy of the full game on the same machine and connecting to the local dedicated server. LAN-based users not on your machine will be able to connect to the dedicated server also (not sure about Internet visibility in the case where you've used your own full game key and are running another client instance).

There should be no significant performance impact from running both dedicated and full instance of the game on the one machine where 2 or more cores are available and the machine didn't come off the Ark.