Bloody Blocks Remake ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hubs

Dec 9, 2003
I used to play this map called Bloody Blocks over at ZoobsWorld (teamut)when ut99 was my game ( oh those where the days) . Now that I have moved on to ut 03 , was hoping someone might no of a remake and if so where it can be downloaded ( great rocket whore map) with exploding legos everywhere. :lol:
If there has not been an atempt for a remake. I believe it might convert nicely over to 03. Sure would like to see a good map maker take a crack at it.

Master Roshi

Troll
Jul 19, 2003
P.A. United states
I know that map too But have not played it much. You cannot just do a remake of a origional map. As I found out With my DM-Academy remake. You will need the ok from the origional Author. DM-bloodyblocks Author =>Chuck Pritzel (Snakeeyes).

Hubs

Dec 9, 2003
Why do you ask that?

Because if he is making maps for 03 , maybe he would be the one to contact to remake his 99 map Bloody blocks to UT 03.

Pretzel

Dec 11, 2003
I'm glad someone else enjoys this map. :D (It's my favorite and I still play it with a ton of bots.)

I haven't played anything beyond UT, so anyone who wants to remake the map is welcome to do it. Also, the original textures should be useable, so feel free to use them in a remake of the map, or for a new map with the same "Lego" scheme. All I ask is credits for the original layout/design and textures where applicable. :)

You can get the measurements/metrics of the map by looking at it in UnrealEd. I don't remember if I left the original brushes in there, but if they are, you might be able to copy/paste a huge part of the map into the newer version's editor.

It should be fun remaking the big statue of the lego guy, hehe. The trickiest part is getting the "player ejectors" to work without smooshing the players, especially the larger player models.

The only other trick is the redeemer launcher, which I made with UScript. I'm sure someone who's into coding could easily make one for the level.

Let me know if someone remakes it. I'd like to see it. :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Eh can someone post a screenshot of dm-bloodyblocks. I'm kinda curious to see what it's all about it.............

Ghostship was fun. Ugly as hell yeah, but fun level.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Some quickshots...

Attachments

• BloodyBlocks_1.jpg
    BloodyBlocks_1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 62
  • BloodyBlocks_2.jpg
    BloodyBlocks_2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 44
  • BloodyBlocks_3.jpg
    BloodyBlocks_3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 43

Pretzel

Dec 11, 2003
I figured it was another one of those fugly one-texture monstrosities whew :OB
Ya, except for a few intricate Doom][ and Quake levels I made, I tend to design fun layouts that get good framerates, and then I just slap textures on them so I can play. They play the same to me with any textures, so I don't bother with all the extra effort.

You're welcome to make your own textures and make it (or Ghostship) pretty. ;)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Funny thing is that I didn't refer to ghostship in the line you've quoted :OB

Perfect example would be, if you/anyone here, has played f.e. monsterhunt online, and run into eh.. thegauntlet5 (I think)
Basically it's just room-room structure, 1 texture, bland ligthing,... it's plain horrible.
Know what, I'll take a screenshot and post it here ;O)

The name bloodyblocks just gave me, fortunately, a wrong impression.

Anyway, I won't change my mind on ghostship. The main reason I liked that level was because of the ghost.

Bloodyblocks looks fine though :OB

And no, I don't judge a map entirely on the looks. Heck no :O) But it's important to me though :-l

Saboteur

Jul 4, 2004
I've remade 2 other UT classic maps for 2K4, and daBlocks is on my short list of maps I want to make.

The ones I've ported are both pretty much verbatim. My first, DM-Gladiator, is up on NaliCity.

Unfortunately, the original author of the second one, DM-Thursday, did not give his OK to port it, so we play it on our passworded server only. :-( (Any suggestions on how I might change his mind?)

(These are my only 2 maps ever so far. I have a partial DM-Cypress I started on before I got busy with other stuff for the time being.)

Last edited:

LoveFest

Jun 27, 2003
California
www.planetunreal.com
Ya, except for a few intricate Doom][ and Quake levels I made, I tend to design fun layouts that get good framerates, and then I just slap textures on them so I can play. They play the same to me with any textures, so I don't bother with all the extra effort.

You're welcome to make your own textures and make it (or Ghostship) pretty. ;)

Hey Pretzel, great map. Played it tons in the day with 8 guys during lunch. Good times. I was just thinking about remaking it myself.