For anyone who owns Unreal Tournament on steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
Whenever one of your friends join a server, are you given the option to 'Join' the game they are in straight through steam? As in right click the name, than select 'Join Game.'

Also, what version of UT is steam running? V436? GOTY? GOTY with bonus pack 4? Does it have any restrictions?

I currently have unreal anthology but a couple of my friends own UT on steam, so if I could join a match they are in it would be useful without the open location stuff. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and if there is that function, is it in Unreal 1 and UT2k4?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, for one, Steam breaks UnrealEd. And I think it prevents manual patching, although I'm not sure. And it slows down loading time to the speed of a snail. Personally I don't like Steam and will never use it.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Steam doesn't affect loading times for me, and it runs the latest version of UT3 with the bonus pack included. I don't have the other games in there to know.

No idea if the 'join friend' function works since none of my steamfriends play UT :<

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Steam forces you to install the game into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\UnrealTournament. The path is 62 characters long. UnrealEd only works with 80 characters in the path, and can not open any packages if the length of the package name and the path combined are more than 80 characters. Now textures are installed into their own Textures folder - +9 characters, the extension of the package itself costs 4 characters, so you get 75 characters in total. Thus Steam's UnrealEd can not open packages that are more than 5 letters long, and I don't know a single package that long (and it's the same reason why by default the game is installed into C:\UnrealTournament and not C:\Program Files\UnrealTournament). The same thing affects Unreal as well. And since there is a space in the path, you can not import anything to UnrealEd if you place it in your game's path.
Needless to say if you have Impulse's version of Unreal and UT, no such thing happens.

Last edited:

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Steam forces you to install the game into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\UnrealTournament.
To be fair you can actually put the Steam installation wherever you like, which will shorten the path considerably (for example just install in C:\Steam).
The path is 62 characters long. UnrealEd only works with 80 characters in the path, and can not open any packages if the length of the package name and the path combined are more than 80 characters. Now textures are installed into their own Textures folder - +9 characters, the extension of the package itself costs 4 characters, so you get 75 characters in total. Thus Steam's UnrealEd can not open packages that are more than 5 letters long, and I don't know a single package that long (and it's the same reason why by default the game is installed into C:\UnrealTournament and not C:\Program Files\UnrealTournament). The same thing affects Unreal as well. And since there is a space in the path, you can not import anything to UnrealEd if you place it in your game's path.
Needless to say if you have Impulse's version of Unreal and UT, no such thing happens.
This is all true, but can be easily overcome by just using subst or for that matter under windows NT just create a junction point. In fact in NT6 and later the tool for creating junctions is included with the OS and is called mklink, so it's a 2 second job to map say C:\UnrealTournament to c:\Program Files\Value\SteamApps\Dear\God\How\Deep\Is\This\Path

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Last time I checked Steam didn't ask where to install it. In fact, I was using a partition setup where C: was only for the system, and D: was for all programs, and not only did Steam not ask where to install it, but also disregarded all the environment variables and registry edits I did to point the default installation folder to the D: partition and installed it straight into C:.
About junction points - never heard of them, although they sound like symlinks from Linux. Does UnrealEd even acknowledge them? Also, from what I know, symlink support is in Vista/7 out of the box.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Last time I checked Steam didn't ask where to install it. In fact, I was using a partition setup where C: was only for the system, and D: was for all programs, and not only did Steam not ask where to install it, but also disregarded all the environment variables and registry edits I did to point the default installation folder to the D: partition and installed it straight into C:.
I've never come across this, and also, moving the Steam directory has no noticeable side-effects that I've ever observed. eg. Just drag it to a new location and run Steam.exe, last time I needed to move it to a new partition I did that and it just updated the registry for me automatically. Wouldn't recommend all the same this but I never observed any anomalies having done so.

About junction points - never heard of them, although they sound like symlinks from Linux.
NTFS has supported this for as long as I can remember and they're kind of like symlinks but not as "hard" as a unix hard symlink and not as "soft" as as a soft symlink. Microsoft refers to them as "reparse points" or "junction points" although until NT6 the tool to create them by hand was not shipped with windows. Mounting a volume into a folder rather than to a new root letter uses this functionality however and has been available in MMC since NT5.

I admit this is more a sysadmin thing (or for that matter anyone who regularly uses Linux or Unix) but since the mklink now ships with the OS it makes it far more accessible to ordinary users. People seem more au fait with reparse points also since NT6 uses them in user profile directories as standard (for example "My Documents" actually reparses to "Documents" and this is listed as [JUNCTION] when you look at a directory listing).

Does UnrealEd even acknowledge them?
Of course, think of it like a hard link. Unless an application explicitly chooses to differentiate between directories and junctions it has no way of telling the difference.
Also, from what I know, symlink support is in Vista/7 out of the box.
I think I already covered this, although I guess most people think of Vista and 7, I was trying to cover both by using the term NT6.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
BTW mods that run on renamed .exes (like Infiltration) don't work in the Steam version. It crashes with an error soon after you start the .exe.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
BTW mods that run on renamed .exes (like Infiltration) don't work in the Steam version. It crashes with an error soon after you start the .exe.

That's pretty gay, mods are a big part of UT :(. Does anyone know if the same problems happen with the UT3 version? Which I own on steam. Do mods/UnrealED work with it?

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Just wondering, would it be possible to install the 436 patch over the Steam copy of UT? I'm thinking of repatching UT3 and other games to work with older versions of Wine (Problems with Steam client except with Crosssover Office).