Unreal 2 old video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Unreal2movie.zip
Acording to rumors this came from a german magazine originally. Here it is in case this video isn't known already.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Nvm, now it's really fixed.
I should have tested it myself if it really does after editing, apologies.

Last edited:

Hellkeeper

Soulless Automaton
Feb 16, 2014
France
hellkeeper.net
Yep, working now. I can't understand a word but it's funny to see the demo of the eye-tracking and golem deformation systems which are in the game, and a demoof the multiplayer which never made it. Thanks for the vid.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Yes, but in general I am a bit disappointed in the video.
It comes off really cheap. Infogrames office in germany or whatever, the only real map in matthias' worch background, possibly one of the early shian maps actually. But hard to make anything out of it as the game is paused. However it shows the old hud in action.
Acording to a certain german guy, this video used to be originally in PC Games german magazine.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I don't either. Someone who speaks german will have to translate.

Saiboat

Apr 14, 2004
Krautboat at your service.

Rough translation:

Unreal II.
We visited Legend Entertainment in Washington and took a look at the game on-site.
Mike Verdu's answer on the question what their goal would be with the game:
"We want to deliver a good game. We want players to says "Unreal II is the coolest game I have ever played. We are also trying to tell a fascinating story within an action game. We want to develop a multiplayer mode that is completely new and hasn't been done before. We want to make the whole first person genre more ambitious regarding game design and technology."

This lady's name is "Aida" and she is doing the briefings within the game. This demonstrates that her torso can be moved indepentendly from her lower body.
Since Unreal II will be focused a lot on dialogue the developers care a lot about little things like moving eyes and synchronous lip movements of the characters.

M. Verdu: "All adventure elements within the game are optional. The player decides whether he wants to experience them or not. If you decide to talk to all of the characters it is certainly possible. Even so much that the adventure part of the game makes up to 40% of it while the rest consists of the general action oriented gameplay. If you don't care for that much story time you can reduce it to 10% of actually mandatory dialogue."

What you see here is one of the effects that appear within Unreal II. Dynamic smoke. Depending on the colors of the lights it shimmers in different colors.
The real impressive aspect of this is how dynamic it is. If you shoot at it with your rocket launcher you can see how the vapor changes its direction accordingly. This effect will also appear in the game while shooting through snowflakes.
Multiplayer mode will also provide bots. This video shows two bots who are fighting in an arena and pick up health packs. We are not allowed to show actual scenes from the game.

M. Verdu: "Unreal II will contain a multiplayer mode that you haven't seen in other games. The fights will require a lot of strategy because players have to choose from different classes and work as a team."

Matthias Borch comes from Germany and is the leading level designer of the Unreal II team and talks about inspiration and pressure to succeed: "It's not like we had a higher pressure to succeed than other people in our industry but it certainly is high since a lot of people are expecting so much from us after playing Unreal I. We think that we can come through because we are also evaluating our competition, looking at what they did good or what we could do better. But we are also very motivated by these other games. For example we just played Halo. The whole company did nothing but play Halo and then we say: 'Hey look at this we can use this like that and integrate that like this...'"

Nothing interesting really, except that I'm really sad that I haven't seen the stuff where particle effects react to projectiles ingame. That looks so cool :)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It's Worch btw, but the particle effects reacting to fire is there, its just not used very obvious. You can for example when laying a smoke grenade etc make the smoke go away by firing through it. But it explains why they didnt show parts of the game.
Thanks for the translation at least it makes more sense now.

EDIT: Btw, if you take just u2xmp its particle system is more simplified hence such effects might not take place especially online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.