The creation of a new Video Game Studio

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
In the real world, you can't pick and choose what people say.

Intentionally mis-interpreting my post doesn't somehow negate its content. Instead, you, oh, I dunno, taking the post out of context.

Again, that's not a quality of a strong communicator.
What are you talking about?
I said, quoted and meant that the only way to judge something if you aren't familiar with game design concepts is to see the project itself once done.

As you said, Molyneux was surprising, he is probably not the only one on Earth.
I also add, making concepts wasn't enough, hardwork and to never give up also helps.

I don't see anything wrong with that related negation.

If you do think there is an age to make a career, I do agree it could be too late in the 60 & around here many professionals only start or quit university around 25 to 30. My summary would be more: If you have a goal find the ways to achieve it and work for it.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Being a good game designer - the skills are in the head

No. Skills are learned through experience. You may possess knowledge, but skills come through practice and experience.

I'm not trying to drag you down, but I do think that you have lost grasp of reality a bit, and that could lead you into trouble.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
No. Skills are learned through experience. You may possess knowledge, but skills come through practice and experience.

I'm not trying to drag you down, but I do think that you have lost grasp of reality a bit, and that could lead you into trouble.
Nah I understand the point you are talking about, but some things may be learned through experiences and some others by seeing it because someone else did it or learned because you directly understand things and you do not necessarly have to experience compared to someone else.

Game Design mostly comes from understanding what you can play and how it does affect the players. There is no proper school for that yet, even at university.

I do have a LOT of things to learn on many apsects... we never stop learning anyway, so I'll see what I can handle and what I can't.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
In the meantime, get a job, do a few projects from start to finish as a *junior* level and/or game designer and then start talking about building your own company. I'll not try and feel spoken to with the 'pros in here think new people don't know anything stuff', but after over 2.5 years worth of industry experience and only being 22 myself I can tell you that you could really do with some frontline experience.

Besides, this topic, and every single other topic in which you wished to discuss questions, including this one, it slowly but steadily devolves into people giving you genuine advice and you deflecting it as if it's some sort of competition.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
In the meantime, get a job, do a few projects from start to finish as a *junior* level and/or game designer and then start talking about building your own company. I'll not try and feel spoken to with the 'pros in here think new people don't know anything stuff', but after over 2.5 years worth of industry experience and only being 22 myself I can tell you that you could really do with some frontline experience.

Besides, this topic, and every single other topic in which you wished to discuss questions, including this one, it slowly but steadily devolves into people giving you genuine advice and you deflecting it as if it's some sort of competition.

Thx for the advice and I agree with the first part (lol).

This Thread should be on pause for a while, I'm Video Games Integrator at Gameloft Montreal.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Congratulations on that.
Could you tell me what a game integrator is/does? I have never heard of that job title before. :)
Well it pretty much depends of the project but usually we would just call that Level Design. I'll be able to give more details about that next week.

I've been impressed enough to pass over the Ubisoft interview. Gameloft is definitely a good Career opportunity for me and I have some plans in mind... The studio is very nice, the guys are really cool and there are small teams what leads to a more friendly and intimate atmosphere. ... I loved it.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well it pretty much depends of the project but usually we would just call that Level Design. I'll be able to give more details about that next week.

I've been impressed enough to pass over the Ubisoft interview. Gameloft is definitely a good Career opportunity for me and I have some plans in mind... The studio is very nice, the guys are really cool and there are small teams what leads to a more friendly and intimate atmosphere. ... I loved it.

As I said, I'll give mroe detail of my actual job. Yeah, a "Video Games Integrator" position isn't common and probably just fit for Gameloft or smaller studio. In other term, the job is to Technically Support & Integrate every element in the game. It also means, doing the dirty job of exporting aniamtions to let our 3D animators do their job faster without being disturbed, etc. I'm touching to pretty much everything: design, scripting, import/export, etc. I'm always working with the Game Designers, but I'm not doing directly anything related to that.

To be brief, I'm doing the dirty job. It's a good position to understand how everything works together, but it,s a misconception to think that an Integrator would be perfect later on to become a Game Designer. The job is so much "robot-style" that there is no place for creativity yet. I been told that I would also be able to make some Level Design & gameplay/storyboard prototyping, but it isn't something that I can do on my actual Project.

The job is enough repetitive (copy/paste) all day long, plus I work like a crack... so things are going fast enough to give me some kind of headache by the end of the day :lol: .

That's it :eek: :D

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
lol.. actually we are doing mostly Level Design & Game Design, but mostly the technical sides realated to level creation and tweakings. The title Integrator was oky for Mobile Games, but for 3D games, it doesn't really fit.

''talk until you're blue in the face'' - thx lol :lol:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
As if that is that different from regular software development ?
Whether it is a user/client that suddenly changes his mind or a technological feature that proves to be problematic. Both result in similar problems that need to be detected and solved as soon as possible to prevent serious problems.

Neither RUP nor Agile are *the* perfect solution.
It really depends on what works best for you. Some people/teams may like a more structured/strict approach, while others may want something that is extremely flexible.

I don't have elmuerte's perspective but there are actually many programming and development styles out there. Using UML (it's not a method but rather a tool) couldn't hurt with game design but RUP is more orientated towards business software. That and Agile came into existence because there was simply a void when it came to actually getting a project off the ground.

Plus, game developpers tend to cut corners when it comes to the actual programming in order to squeeze out the maximum performance. The imperatives just aren't the same. There are some common points though. If you dig into the UE1 source code, you should see an example of unit testing :) .

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
So Hyrage, how long have you been at GameLoft now? And what projects (I read somewhere you're on your 4th now) did you work on? And has it changed your stance from earlier in the topic?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Plus, game developpers tend to cut corners when it comes to the actual programming in order to squeeze out the maximum performance.
you still can't skip design, planning and testing as those are going to cause trouble.
'real' programming is about 5%, a good plan and design is 90% of a project if you want to release before DukeNukem Forever does ...

I'm not sure if I said this in this thread, but building software is like building a house.
The real problem is that everyone knows that you should plan and design that before laying the foundations.
Somehow people think that software/games can do without such preparations ... even though they end up paying the price each and every time they either forget or take shortcuts through those phases of a project.
design > *

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Plus, game developpers tend to cut corners when it comes to the actual programming in order to squeeze out the maximum performance..

Eh, wait, what?

Normally programmers cut corners when performance isn't important. Writing optimum code takes more time than unoptimised code, shirly.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Eh, wait, what?

Normally programmers cut corners when performance isn't important. Writing optimum code takes more time than unoptimised code, shirly.

By cutting corners I meant getting rid of accessors and leaving lots of elements public. Accessing objects can bring a performance penalty with it so sometimes you'll find classes that should have been split up at the design stage.

In business computing, low-level optimization is the very last thing to do. Before even thinking about that, programmers should see if they can squeeze any performance out by modifying algorithms.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
It's not hard to be successful in today's video games. Just make a mini game collection and put it on the Wii, instant million seller.

Some cheap but innovative games on the iPhone can get you a few thousand dollars too for a start.