Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
The new patch is awesome. SMG nerf ahoy!
I see some people still complaining about them.
People will never stop complaining about SMGs until they're removed

The really fun part is seeing people bitch that SMGs/rifles/etc require no skill, then seeing those same people never firing a disc until their opponent is on the ground or near a wall
Yea... takes so much more skill to rely on splash damage than landing a bullet

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
People will never stop complaining about SMGs until they're removed

The really fun part is seeing people bitch that SMGs/rifles/etc require no skill, then seeing those same people never firing a disc until their opponent is on the ground or near a wall
Yea... takes so much more skill to rely on splash damage than landing a bullet

Blue plating is a lot harder than hitting with bullets. If your ping is above 60-70, all bullet weapaons (apart from hitscan stuff) lose functionality rapidly. The better your ping is, the better you are going to do with bullet weapons.
This notion is pretty much invalid for every other aspect of the game though. Skiing, spinfusors, grabbing, capping and sniping work fine around 150 ping.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Personally I generally only use SMGs. I don't have a problem with them because the classes I play (Inf/Tech, generally) get shredded by spinfusors; a direct hit is enough to kill an Inf with quite a few of the spinfusors and bolt launchers. The X1 is nasty though, since it's carried by a Juggernaut, and the Raider is far too capable still, since it can win a standing firefight with a DMB thanks to the shield pack - it should have been a light armour.

Interesting. You say opposite directions

I phrased it poorly, but it will never work if you're travelling in opposite directions. There has to be a sufficient difference in relative velocity to kill a player with the Shrike, so yes, if they are travelling at a similar speed they won't be killed on collision.

I agree with your theory, but to stand on a enemy, non stationary Shrike? I did notice players ridding shrikes will eventually fall down when the pilot isn't flying in a straight-ish path, shouldn't that push them off the Shrike and kill them?

Firstly, once you are 'based' on the Shrike, the collision event is not triggered again until you stop colliding with it, then recollide (this is how Unreals collision works for Touch and Bump events, because they also have corresponding 'UnTouch' and the like), so falling off will not kill you unless you recollide.

You only need to be there for long enough to get the kill. The DPS of a fully upgraded repair gun (it doesn't matter which you use, they are all the same offensively) versus a Shrike is something ridiculous - it does 90 damage per hit, and more than 15 hits per second - so it takes about two seconds to 'splode it good.

This is still all academic though, in 100+ hours of play, I have only achieved this once. I do it with tanks all the time however.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Firstly, once you are 'based' on the Shrike, the collision event is not triggered again until you stop colliding with it, then recollide (this is how Unreals collision works for Touch and Bump events, because they also have corresponding 'UnTouch' and the like), so falling off will not kill you unless you recollide.

This is the part I don't fully understand. I thought that if for instance, I am standing on the Shrike, meaning I am not moving yet "glued" to the Shrike, then I fall from it. Doesn't that re-collide with the player? Or is the player just sliding off off it, ignoring the re-collide process. Or even maybe it re-collides, but both the player and the Shrike speed are too similar to get the kill?

You only need to be there for long enough to get the kill. The DPS of a fully upgraded repair gun (it doesn't matter which you use, they are all the same offensively) versus a Shrike is something ridiculous - it does 90 damage per hit, and more than 15 hits per second - so it takes about two seconds to 'splode it good.

This is fucking glorious!

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I know, right? Long Range Tool versus Tank is pretty good. What I hate is how much they suck against base assets.

This is the part I don't fully understand. I thought that if for instance, I am standing on the Shrike, meaning I am not moving yet "glued" to the Shrike, then I fall from it. Doesn't that re-collide with the player? Or is the player just sliding off off it, ignoring the re-collide process. Or even maybe it re-collides, but both the player and the Shrike speed are too similar to get the kill?

The collision event is triggered when the player first collides with the Shrike (their geometry intersects, although physics will prevent either from actually intersecting). The player will continue to be intersecting with the vehicle until they fall off or otherwise stop touching the vehicle. Falling off does not cause the same collision event (it's a 'no-longer-colliding' event). You won't get another collision event unless the player and the Shrike collide a second time.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I find it depends on the time of day. Playing at lunch time it's either all heavies, or all Technicians / Infs. Playing late at night, there's a healthy mix, but usually more pathfinders.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The collision event is triggered when the player first collides with the Shrike (their geometry intersects, although physics will prevent either from actually intersecting). The player will continue to be intersecting with the vehicle until they fall off or otherwise stop touching the vehicle. Falling off does not cause the same collision event (it's a 'no-longer-colliding' event). You won't get another collision event unless the player and the Shrike collide a second time.

Thanks for clarifying that up. I'd love to see how you managed to safely land on a flying enemy shrike. I never saw anyone make it out alive. :<

At weekends the ammount of terrible players increases exponentially.

More 5-0 games on weekends, yes.
From this perspective: winning is boring and unsatisfying. Losing is simply frustrating.

I simply despise 5-0 games. It's my biggest gripe with this game, and to think of any another issue of this scale in Tribes, I can not.

Don't mention it anywhere (esp not /r/tribes), people will not give a fuck. Friend stack is a obvious problem in the game (it occurs a lot during weekends as well). Summary is: should Hirez consider fixing the blatant issues with team balance, people will complain. In other words, welfare's having fun "roflstomping nub pubs" all day will complain if Hirez so decide to put a stop to it.

:rolleyes:

I miss me 4-5 intensive games. (More XP for everyone too!)
Maybe, just maybe I'm a too good sport for the redundant immaturity of a competitive F2P game.

EDIT: I don't mind people playing together, but shouldn't they play against another team of players? On going with a skilled team on a pub game simply kills the balance, there's too much of that. To actually appreciate "pwning" on pubs is the worse fucking thing I see in gaming these days.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The matchmaking has an issue where it just doesn't care about player levels, it just dumps you in the game in the order you arrive (or click on a team). Having a couple of higher level game modes would help; or 'channels' restricted to high levelled players. A CTF mode for level 30+ only would be great.

I played a game today where one guy would deliberatly spinfusor a dropped flag so that only he could pick it up or return it. That was a massive WTF moment the first time he shot our flag out from under my feet, then bounced over to it.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The matchmaking has an issue where it just doesn't care about player levels, it just dumps you in the game in the order you arrive (or click on a team). Having a couple of higher level game modes would help; or 'channels' restricted to high levelled players. A CTF mode for level 30+ only would be great.

I played a game today where one guy would deliberatly spinfusor a dropped flag so that only he could pick it up or return it. That was a massive WTF moment the first time he shot our flag out from under my feet, then bounced over to it.

Glory hogs.

I've been stuck in games where people are ranks I hadn't seen before. They dominate and then leave, like a succubus. It's sad that pub games are so uneven these days that the game has produced less interest for me overall. Getting pub stomped or stomping in pubs just isn't fun.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

From my experience, +10/+30 servers are terrible. Blacklight:retribution did this, and as soon as most players hit level 10, they promptly stopped playing the game because it was far too rediculous; higher ranked players knew how to use all the overpowered this-and-that to make the game look completely worthless.

What I expect happening with Tribes if they do this, is that players past level 30 will have a terrible time, such as very low populace servers, even more teamstacking, and incredible amount of elitism. That would be a terrible idea, IMO.

I'm fine with a huge variety of players keeping the game refreshing, it's just that teams should be randomly balanced pre-match, like MW2 and BL:retribution.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The problem is that you can't 'randomly balance' the teams when there is one platinum ranked player in the match (or worse, an obsidian rank), becuase they'll dominate it utterly. I played a Capture and Hold game a few days ago with someone ranked 'Avenger'; by the time the game was finished they'd over 90 kills, spent 60,000 credits in orbitals, and there was no second game as everyone left the server mid-match or immediately afterwards.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
I've had games that were so unbalanced the enemy was holding our flag in our generator room just to troll us.

It's just the most frustrating when you are up against a stacked team (or your team is just full of morons). Your team usually sits in your generator room because on the stand they get shelled by offense and you have to protect your stand, kill their offense, chase enemy carriers and cap flags all at the same time. It never works and the game just ends 5-0 every time.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've had games that were so unbalanced the enemy was holding our flag in our generator room just to troll us.

Oh yeah, that.

The other day was a blatant friendstack (one of their players was rank 7, probably got his main banned), they just flew their flag carrier on a Shrike over the entire Drydock. No one on our team thought getting a doombringer was a good idea until like 5 minutes passed.

I have to admit, unlike most of the team, I actually laughed.