AMD Athlon or Intel Pentium

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
&

"Sp!ke"

"Aside from that...the Athlons still outperform the P4's"

Ok, youre kidding, right?

&

"Sp!ke"

DID I MENTION THAT IT CAN RUN STABLE AT 3,7 GIGAHERTZ!!!!!!!!!!

with a lil bit of liquid N....

And great links there: Compare a p4 1,7(how old is that thing? with a new XP...:rolleyes:

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
image007.gif

I got an xp1800 and a GF3 and I don`t get close to those #s.
I`m running 98se.....does XP make THAT much diffrence??

WildWing

Sep 16, 2001
New York City
Visit site
Well.. It looks like the majority of you are favoring the AMD Athlon, wish there wasn't always some chipset war going... Then things would be much simpler, Intel would just have to out do itself every six months, heh heh... Anyway I'm studying to get my A+ Liscence, and in the book I'm studying from it says that Intel are the one's that define all the satndards in the "PC World" and that "AMD are the one's that keep Intel awake at night" if you know what I mean, but from the comparisons I'm being shown here it appears that both chip sets run at all most equal speeds with pros and cons on both ends. With Athlons running a little cheaper and performing just about equal to P4's that's enough to entice anyone into buying the Athlon, but with the Intel P4 chipset I figure it costs more because your buying better quality and the name "Intel and Pentium". Getting back to this quality thing, again these systems appear to be equal, bringing back to the other point, that with Intel your're really just buying their name, and when you think about it, you have to products of equal capability, one of them has got to cost more... And it usually boils down the "name" and the "repuataion" of the company that makes this product, it's like comparing SONY and AIWA together.

---
"WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT?"

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
For Benchmarks, Q3A did extremely well with Intel pentium processor, which many websites found it rather brizzare to explain, but when it comes to UT benchmark which is extremely cpu intensive, AMD still performs better.
I dunno why some people mentioned AMD isn't as stable. My athlon 800 had rarely crashed on me unless I ran some corrputted apps. While my friends P4 1.2 seem to crash everytime I'm using it. The stability issues also depends on your own maintainence.
Also u need to take note of the chipsets and hardware config with the processors, which u'll need to do some finding own ur own.
3.7ghz of cpu power is still quite absurb. Y overclocked your P4 to such dangerously extreme value why current apps doesn't even fully utillises it? It's real pointless for users unless you found servers still doesn't perform well under a normal P4 2.2.
Overall I do prefer AMD over Intel because of the value in the higher end processor market, and for long term especially. You need at least 4 7200rpm system fans to cool it down to a reasonable lvl though. But installation is cheap so it's not an issue at all.

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
lol, this Spike guy is killing me.

"Can Run Stable at 3.7Ghzs"

Yea, MAYBE if you have a nitrogen tanker in your yard and have all the tools... and the most ive seen is 3.2Ghz...

Also, you are comparing the 2.2Ghz Intel to the 1.4Ghz AMD, and they are actually CLOSE! that says something right there. If you want to compare, choose the AthlonXP 2000+ and the Intel P4 2.2Ghz... that would be more of a test now wouldn't it?

And the AthlonXP 2000's clock is only 1.67Ghz iirc, and it still beats the P4...

Also, if you get a raw number crunching example that doesn't prove squat, yes, of course it can crunch numbers faster, but doesn't really matter though compared to other things.

And, for Memory Bandwith, the AMD has the DDR memory tech, Intel is finally getting this on it's motherboards, but the motherboard is too expensive still. And there is no doubt that DDR Ram is faster then RDRAM, no?

Thats all i have to offer...

WildWing

Sep 16, 2001
New York City
Visit site
Well, I say that if Intel doesn't want to be defeated by AMD they'd better make sure the "Pentium 5" beats ANY Athlon sytem on any level, ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE BOARD!
---
You talkin' ta' me...
You talkin' ta' me...
You talkin' ta' me...

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Originally posted by SamuraiSludge|BuF
This thread is gonna be trouble...:hmm:

My award for "Best usage of foresight on an online message board" this year goes to SamuraiSludge! *thunderous applause and cheering*

Also, where's SC when you need him to bash fanboys? :p

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
My award for "Best usage of foresight on an online message board" this year goes to SamuraiSludge! *thunderous applause and cheering*

I knew exactly what was going to happen as soon as WildWing created this thread. :rolleyes: Nothing personal WildWing ;)

...and people wonder why I despise AMD vs. Intel threads so much. :hmm:

Damn zealots...:mad: