Epic Gone Steam! Confirmed!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Interesting move by Epic and tbh, one that came out of the blue because I didn't see that coming.
Could be a case of too little too late and I can't help imagining what the scenario would have been if UT3 was launched on Steam first day?
This smells of a contingency plan if UT3 didn't fair well under normal market conditions (which it hasn't)
A very good move though I have to say.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Updating UT3?

Without reading all of this thread and getting into a pro/anti Steam discussion how does this (if at all) affect updating for those of us who have already bought UT3?

Does this mean that we will need Steam now to get updates? If so the I have a problem with their decision.

LMN8R

Jan 22, 2008
Of course not. Just like 100+ other games that have come out in Steam right alongside retail releases, all it is, is an option. If you bought UT3 at retail, then not only do you not start it on Steam now, but you don't even have the option to activate it on Steam.

When games start using Steamworks, of course, this will change.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Well it will be easier for Epic to fudge sales figures and say that the NPD numbers don't take Steam Sales into consideration. I see this as a move to cause a certain amount of confusion about how well the product is selling ... but I could be wrong of course. ;)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I see this as a move to cause a certain amount of confusion about how well the product is selling

Other than amongst flat earthers, there is no confusion about how well the game has sold on PC. :(

I see the motive as being that Epic regard this as another channel to the market and one dedicated to the PC (by definition) as a far better and more plausible reason for the move.

Mar 20, 2002
Chica Go
Visit site
Well it will be easier for Epic to fudge sales figures and say that the NPD numbers don't take Steam Sales into consideration. I see this as a move to cause a certain amount of confusion about how well the product is selling ... but I could be wrong of course. ;)
Tell me one thing Epic hasn't done to fudge sales figures, in your eyes.

Seriously.

Last edited: