UE1 - UT Skaarj Squad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
You've featured some Trooper skins from Xidia and Seven Bullets, one or two of which I colored myself for those projects (one is a placeholder skin for one that hadn't been made yet for the final mod, and actually made me chuckle when I saw it because it was never intended to be seen).

I don't think I particularly care if you use them, but I do care if you credit my team (the skinners and texture artists that worked on them) and if you preserve the original class names intended for the skins.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
2 things

You've featured some Trooper skins from Xidia and Seven Bullets, one or two of which I colored myself for those projects (one is a placeholder skin for one that hadn't been made yet for the final mod, and actually made me chuckle when I saw it because it was never intended to be seen).

I don't think I particularly care if you use them, but I do care if you credit my team (the skinners and texture artists that worked on them) and if you preserve the original class names intended for the skins.

1) I've never even heard of Seven Bullets before. I'll credit sources no problem, although I don't give these skins to anybody so I'm a lil' fuzzy as to how I would to that.

2) Tell me specifically which skins you're referring to cuz saying Xidia tells me nothing. Cut & paste and show me in your response.

3) Each of the skins up there is on a bot on my system. Each skin is named for that bot. To do as you'd ask I'd have to rename the bot...so no. They all have full team colors now, which they didn't originally, so while the base normal form may come from somebody else's existing skin I don't see the need to rename it to whatever it was originally.

4) Gonna go have to do a little research. (googles) Okay, if the Xidia is the frozen trooper up there, it's been released. There's a couple monsterhunt maps by the name of Krogerr that feature that thing. I got it from there.

5) Send me a list of names and the cropped image for the skins you mean please. Though I only intend to use these Sktroopers in my game, been playing them for years anyway, I can probably credit them at my site under the 'Skaarj' tag.

PS: Okay, 2 things might've been a tad off :)

Last edited:
If these are for private use, then disregard. I assumed they were part of a skin pack you were compiling. Didn't realize this was for your personal stomping roster ;)

The two I made I really couldn't care any less about, as all it took to make them were a few minutes in a photo editing program where I desaturated some colors and (in the case of that one placeholder skin I was talking about with the white criss-cross pattern on his chest) applied a simple brush art deco courtesy of whatever presets were provided (Corel I believe. It's been over half a decade). I'm really surprised you even have them or that people are even using these outside of the files included with the mods they came with, especially since better ones exist in the same packs.

The Ice Trooper skin was originally made by Hourences for Xidia and the Bloodpack Trooper skin was the 7B one made by UArchitect, which is the fantastic looking fellow to the direct right of the Ice Trooper (black armor, red eyes). The last one is also one of our Xidia ones I think, though I don't think we actually used it in the game (if it's the one I'm thinking of then it was meant for a frozen trooper carcass). If you're scouting for more, in Seven Bullets there's different varieties of the Bloodpack Trooper with different colored sets of eyes that we used for diversity in the campaign and possibly also for some multiplayer team color mode that never materialized, but there's also the final version of what was to replace that crappy one of mine you're using with the criss-crosses on his chest (next to Santa). If I happen upon a pic I'll post it.

Last edited:

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
Well, it's a pack for me

If these are for private use, then disregard. I assumed they were part of a skin pack you were compiling. Didn't realize this was for your personal stomping roster ;)

4 currently, possibly 5 if I ever make new ones. But, no, i was never intending on putting them on a site and touting them as my own work. Even when I do mention them anywhere, like here, I point out I'm strictly an editor of existing works...

...and I've got a real issue with skins that don't have all 4 team colors so I usually give them some.

The only way anyone is gonna get these skins from me is from the cache directory on their own computers if they decide to go digging thru after playing a game I hosted. That is, if I ever host games again.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
A recent SKtrooper I took from ut2004's Invasion online, I gave team colors and have been using this past week:
2889563_original.jpg

The individual textures are these:

Original...
2889863_original.png

Team Colors I edited for it...
2890133_original.png
2890272_original.png
2890537_original.png
2890854_original.png

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
I accidentally learned how to skin the SKtrooper back around 2001. I was using then, and still do, the model made available from UsAaR33's original version of oldskool. The reason I still don't use oldskool amp'd, the updated version, is it removed this model... and as it's been fairly well established, I love me some Skaarj!

Skins made for it are based on the original version of oldskool, but there are some other models for the Sktrooper that can use these skins. As I've never tried to .zip these up for others to use before, had hoped to do it for my own hosted games but I haven't hosted in years, so there may be stuff I should include I didn't.

This is just the 3rd batch, I do the Skaarj in mass skin-sets, accounting for just 9 skins and the talk texture I edited for the 'Skaarj Squad' WAY back when. Decided to send this one as a certain gecko has been insistant about gaining access to the ARMY (1st in pic) Skaarj in this set.
3107622_original.png

The SKtroopers in this set are skins I got over the years that I gave full team colors. I've done some originals too but they're in Batch 1 & 2.

These work fine in ut99... and I got no idea if they'll work in Unreal1 so someone be sure to tell me if they do.

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/sn3jxgz8jboyrax/SkTrooperSkiny_Squd3.zip

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
Do you have Titan skins for download?
While I have been skinning titans, specifically the UTDMT which I've also been editing onto a lot of CTF maps, I haven't set that up for downloads...
3057394_original.png

...yet.

Figured I'd get around to sharing the maps, skins would go with. I've only got about 15 titan skins.
3069213_original.png

btw, those Skaarj look awesome.
Thanks.

Last edited:

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
I didn't know about any Unreal/UT forums until 2011, when I 1st started joining them. Prior to that, closer to when the game first came out, when I did my initial skinning of SKtroopers, I posted about them in Yahoo Groups.

I ran UTcorps & SkaarjSquad, and later the guy that ran UTcam turned it over to me.

Haven't been on any of those in years, close to a decade, but I went through the this past week as they have my initial work on skinning SKtroopers & the earliest of my screenshots.

Random: On Yahoo I was EvilGrins & Ye_Bloody_Bastard

Most anyone that's played UT knows if there's a memory glitch the game's engine temporarily re-assigns some textures on certain models. As is clear here:
3160902_original.png

Usually from the Male Soldier and the 1st texture in the set, which comprises the upper torso, back, and gauntlets.

Once I worked that out, it was simple to setup .int & .utx for the Sktrooper... though for awhile I went for very simple texture steals from existing skins from various other models.

3160500_original.png

3160761_original.png

3160162_original.png

3161231_original.png

3161544_original.png

3161822_original.png

3161894_original.png

3162127_original.png

3162425_original.png

3162700_original.png

3163368_original.png

3163447_original.png