can't get tMale1Bot subclass to show up

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Subclassed 'TMale1Bot' and called it 'DebugTMale1Bot', put it in a package 'DebugBot' ... Changed its MenuName param to be 'Debug Male Commando' instead of 'Male Commando' ... Compiled, got my DebugBot.u in System folder, made a DebugBot.int in System folder containing:

[Public]
Object=(Name=DebugBot.DebugTMale1Bot,Class=Class,MetaClass=Botpack.Bot,Description="Debug Male Commando")

Started UT, Practice Session, Bots, Configure ... But my new creation does not show up in the Classes list .... Added a reference in UnrealTournamet.ini to DebugBot for ServerPackages (already had one for EditPackages), but no difference.

What steps am i missing to make my bot show up so i can select it for use in a game? Totally baffled here.

vlosk

Feb 4, 2001
vlosk.unrealcenter.com
Pointers:

First, i would recomend you stay away from your own botclass as it is a lot of hassel unless you absolutely poistively need one. There are a lot of things you can do without touching the bot source at all (i jsut finished teaching bots how to use the jetboots [a jetpack type thing] without modifying the botsource itself)

That said, the best solution i would think to implementing a botclass would be through a mutator or a gametype. For example, make agametype with a modified bot login function, which loads your botclass in place of the standard one.

//also, the editpackage list is relavant only when loading UnrealEd, and when compiling. it has nothing to do with an object appearing in game, as that loading [from the .u file] is handled by the .int file and whatever method you have in place to implement such. subsequently, the serverpackes list is only relavant in netgames, specifically on the server side of the setup. (ie add you mod in the list if you are hosting an online match using it)

Thanks for the info ... This whole thing started when i just wanted to be able to write to the log with a map location when a FellOutOfWorld event happened with bots ... literally one line of code ...

i tried making a different gametype but kind of went around in circles and deadended ... then somebody said it was easy to subclass bots and have them show up in your bot config menu, so i did that and never could get it to work.

I finally acted on a tip from ZenCoder and just stuck my modified bots into a test version of map near all the playerstarts, and though they all had some weird default green and gold psychadelic skins, it basically did what i needed it to do.

Guess i'm still curious how to get a different gametype working to try something alittle more ambitious than just subclassing actors for use in my maps, which is what i've done so far. But most tutorials i can find are about how to make your weapons.