Can your system handle UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What framerates do you usually get while playing UT3?

• Total voters

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
I can understand a pro wanting super high frame rates and everything turned off, anything to give him/her that edge but seriously, any casual gamer would be happy with say 60fps, anything above that is just computer cock waving as far as I'm concerned.

Lruce
If you WON'T do it (V-sync) shut it. You know why I said try it?

the game has a HORRIBLE feel with V-sync on, and I do mean horrible, as in mouse lag up the yin yang. I don't mind my Framerate limited, I don't mind V-sync, but when Vsync is ON????? you haven't tried it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Damn...I dunno what's happening, I have a bit more memory now on this laptop, but UT3 just runs the same on all settings if I lower my ettings it isn't better, so it runs worse on low settings, wtf is up with that? How can I get it working right again? I cannot play online, especially with these campers in such conditions...that means I run the game but I get like 10 FPS max..or its these messy drivers, I dunno....
I mean now I can run it on max with these settings and its same as in low settings with fps, damn :mad:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
It's not a case of won't do it, I don't have UT3 installed on my home computer because it can't handle it - the specs are too low - I thought I'd already mentioned that?
I do however have it installed on my work computer and I have played it comfortably at a steady 60fps - if it went above that, I never really noticed, which is the point I'm trying to make.
I have a hard enough time getting my levels at work to run a steady 30fps as that is our benchmark (actually 27.5) - between 30-40 is considered excellent but that's for a racing game on the PS3.
A first person shooter is different but when UT3 was being designed, you can bet you Vsynced little arse the fps benchmark wasn't 100fps - I guarantee that.

Lruce

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
I have 280-300 FPS on "CTF-Princess Royal Box", 100-200 on most DM maps and an average of 70 on WAR-Serenity. So it depends on the map you are playing on, eh? Maybe we can get better (and comparable) results if we choose a specific map for benches.

Settings are allways at max and pimped up some more with Nhancer.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2008
Idaho
I get around 45-60 Fps max settings on most maps,
dipping down to 35-40 on the larger Warfare maps.

Dusk is the most punishing on fps going down to 30fps with 31 bots.

ATI 4870 1gb ram, 2gb ram @ 1900x1200
not sure on the processor I'll edit this when I figure out what it is.

tech_rsr

Dec 31, 2008
I have a new Thinkpad T500 with a Core2Duo T8600 processor (3 MB L2 cache), 2 GB DDR3 RAM and an ATI Radeon 3650 256 MB video card and the game works pretty well. With tweaks I can play 960 X 600 with 2X AA and Trilinear filtering, HDR Bloom and so on with around 35 fps on most maps, with some parts of the maps running at 55 fps or so. Is there a way I can make this faster?

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
I get an average of about 120-130 with max visual settings and all the doodads in the nvidia drivers page set to high quality.

really?

Mine is capped at 90FPS even on the lowest settings, i have not set this cap.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
"UTEngine.ini

[Engine.GameEngine]
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62.000000 "

change to "999.000000" ?

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
rAt.8^].bAg;2241962 said:
"UTEngine.ini

[Engine.GameEngine]
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62.000000 "

change to "999.000000" ?
Yeah. Keep minimum to whatever you want the minimum framerate to be, and set the max to 999.

Do keep in mind, though, that if you have huge framerate differences, the game won't seem as smooth. The reason for Framerate smoothing is to try to make the game as jitter-free as possible.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
The preset min of 22 would suck anyway, though I don't think I've ever been that low in-game. I'll up that against the 999 and see how it goes.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
The title kind of nails it. Still, it's interesting to know what framerates you play at and what settings.
I don't play at present, waiting for the expansion.. but when I did.. somewhere around 100 fps at full settings. Q9550, 8 gigs RAM and 9600 GT.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Yeah. Keep minimum to whatever you want the minimum framerate to be, and set the max to 999.

Do keep in mind, though, that if you have huge framerate differences, the game won't seem as smooth. The reason for Framerate smoothing is to try to make the game as jitter-free as possible.

Much better FPS online now. :) Thx DP.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Now that I have upgraded to core2duo and nvidia 9600 gso - it runs fine. No idea what FPS I'm at - but it is smooth finally.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster

Yes, for me uncapped is not very smooth at all, actually it sucks that way. That is why I placed a 85 FPS cap, max smoothed frame rate. Anything beyond that and sometimes it seems the the FPS almost hits a wall and drops much lower than it does when I have it capped. This may have something to do with the CPU intensive nature of the game as my system is CPU bound..

Another big part of what playable FPS means to a player depends on the quality of their display. Older LCD displays, non TFT, and newer cheap ones are going to make the game look bad no matter what CPU and GPU is used. Not all displays are equal.