The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I disagree Slain, I think the lighting scheme he used is quite effective. That sun is almost gone. I don't think there would be any direct rays of sunlight to the ground or even a little above it at that point in the day.

maybe, but then, your view is a bit realistic and i think lighting is more about creating a feeling rather than being completely realistic. and a stereotypical sunset should have orange lighting. not too orange/red, of course and here i might actually go for something like one half orange and fading into a ver light blueish nighttime lighting.

Last edited:

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
Yes indeed... it seemed what he was going for... perhaps the white light is from a street light off to the side.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
It's from a crane, yeah :) The light coming from the sun is indeed orange, and casts really long shadows. I'm waiting for some performance-related feedback still, I'll officially announce the next version on BU as well :)

Here are some more screenies, from the last beta:

Last edited:

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
This is my first attempt at UT3 mapping, so I havent fully grasped all the advanced techniques yet. Probably going to be releasing this within a week or so if all goes well.

VCTF-Essence (shots from in editor)

[SCREENSHOT]http://i28.tinypic.com/2lid8if.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i28.tinypic.com/2luc8dz.jpg
[/SCREENSHOT]

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Wow cool VCTF map pics. :D Two thinkg to consider tho, you might wanna decorate terrain a little bit, that sand texture you are using, it is just everywhere; you could make use of rock textures so it will look nicer. And the second thing is light... which is contrastless. Try to add another light color, it will help your lighting. :)

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
Wow cool VCTF map pics. :D Two thinkg to consider tho, you might wanna decorate terrain a little bit, that sand texture you are using, it is just everywhere; you could make use of rock textures so it will look nicer. And the second thing is light... which is contrastless. Try to add another light color, it will help your lighting. :)

Its pretty basic right now and I appeciate that its quite dull. Whenever I try to add more terrain layers I get the multicoloured terrain error. I know its common, but I actually havent found a solution to it yet.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
How many terrain patches do you use here? The stock maps have around 10-20k terrain polys visible at any one time, dunno if having too many of them causes the multicoloured error...

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
[SCREENSHOT]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6488/crampagedbd5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Those who know my (nearly nonexistent) mapping history may recognize that layout. :p

I've heard UE3 mapping is a real PITA, so I'm giving it a shot. The above picture is the result of an hour's worth (I guess; wasn't keeping track) of brush work. It's the same scale as the UT2004 version which makes things kind of weird because in UT3 you're not meant to double-jump up 128-unit tall things, and this map is based around 128-unit tall things. :)

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
[SCREENSHOT]http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6488/crampagedbd5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Those who know my (nearly nonexistent) mapping history may recognize that layout. :p

I've heard UE3 mapping is a real PITA, so I'm giving it a shot. The above picture is the result of an hour's worth (I guess; wasn't keeping track) of brush work. It's the same scale as the UT2004 version which makes things kind of weird because in UT3 you're not meant to double-jump up 128-unit tall things, and this map is based around 128-unit tall things. :)

Guess that'll have to change.

The idea is to REPLACE bsp with meshes, not add meshes on top. So ideally it will end up the same scale.

I'll try to do that once i fully understanding mapping, the editor, etc.

Oh, and Kantham, i'll have a picture of a map i'm working on up in the next couple of weeks if all goes to plan, just drawing up concept rooms right now and testing very basic bsp levels to see if i can end up with what i want.

Last edited:

Melvin

Next Gen
May 22, 2006
The Netherlands
Very WIP and only worklights are used for now. Also, textures may be changed later on and some deco will becomes static meshes.

It will be a 5vs5 CTF-map with a more oldskool layout. Don't like big CTF-maps at all (i'm more a Quake3-player) so thats why i'm aiming for a more smaller map with alot of ''face-to-face''-action. The basic layout is done and right now i'm detailing the map and playing with textures/deco's. This map will use a lot of custom content and it will be a construction area-styled theme.

What you see here is the flag-room of a team. (those red trims are my work-textures for entrances/doorways etc)

Last edited:

Melvin

Next Gen
May 22, 2006
The Netherlands
Looks neat.

I do like the construction yard/building under construction theme... though the textures need a bit of work, they are too clean/monotonous.

Well, my intention is make it pretty clean, since it's has to be a building that is in the works right know. Not a building that has to look like it damaged and has to be fixed. ;)

The lighting now is very blend (no good color-variation for now) and that is why it looks monotonous.

-edit-
I have ideas for the lighting and then i can see if the textures work or not. I have alot of textures ready right know, but i haven't imported them yet.

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Alright, here's DM-Overwatch's Flakroom.

This map may someday turn into a Domination map, but its still up in the air.

Any comments on stuff would be great. Oh and i'm trying to figure out what to do abou the railing in the back (like below/infront) of the X, cause you can jump over them and get stuff, so any ideas what i should put in between them?

This map is quite funny really, i started off with a Necris theme, with two rooms and oher crap, decided to do some random stuff, so i have about 4 unconnected rooms throughout the map (3 Necris, 1 Liandri), most likely two of the NEC rooms will turn into Liandri rooms.

I've been trying conceptilizing the map through drawings, its working, not amazing, but its how i got this Flak room, though in all fairness i started with this crazy (wish i could scan it) concept for a shield belt/Shock room, but right now its WAY to complicated for me to do.

I might have new rooms in later weeks so, yeah.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Alright, here's DM-Overwatch's Flakroom.

This map may someday turn into a Domination map, but its still up in the air.

Any comments on stuff would be great. Oh and i'm trying to figure out what to do abou the railing in the back (like below/infront) of the X, cause you can jump over them and get stuff, so any ideas what i should put in between them?

This map is quite funny really, i started off with a Necris theme, with two rooms and oher crap, decided to do some random stuff, so i have about 4 unconnected rooms throughout the map (3 Necris, 1 Liandri), most likely two of the NEC rooms will turn into Liandri rooms.

I've been trying conceptilizing the map through drawings, its working, not amazing, but its how i got this Flak room, though in all fairness i started with this crazy (wish i could scan it) concept for a shield belt/Shock room, but right now its WAY to complicated for me to do.

I might have new rooms in later weeks so, yeah.

Now this looks promising... but one peice of advised ( you dont have to take it becuase im extremly fussy) put a trim arround the supports, the meshes to the floor like that breaks my #1 rule of mapping, trim everyting, no butt joints.. A good trim for that is the mesh in the LT pacage for supports, its a U shape, I used it arround the supports in the flak room of my map..

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Thanks, I'm trying, i just don't really understand how triming works, i always seem to screw it up.

And i have to thank you Bazzwano and Safeguard for the idea of conceptualizing rooms, it seriously works.

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Nobody else wants to bother to comment or give advise?

Anyone willing to give some help on room design, maybe just do some paint drawings overtop of these, for i'm not that great, and i just wanna know what you guys think would work good.

Here i'm planning to have this be a large openning to large multi-tiered room (well two floors really), should i carry on with the same style of arches for this doorway as well?

Just ideas on stuff i can fix, i'm still confused by the trimming, I'm considering if that little room will lead off to an underground complex of sorts (i have found these amazing concept pictures from the Riddick game that would work quite well). Any thoughts?

UP

Last edited: