Blossom mutator settings (and screenshots)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I created an article about the various settings that you can set when using the Blossom mutator:
http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.co...ral-articles/186-blossom-mutator-for-ut3.html

Also includes plenty of screenshots (it's after the text ;) ) for comparison. You can see quite obviously why it should always be used in UT3, including things like FragBU servers!

If I made any factual mistakes there, let me know. I'm not an expert on the way UE3 and Bloom works, but the information there is what I could gather so far.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I created an article about the various settings that you can set when using the Blossom mutator:
http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.co...ral-articles/186-blossom-mutator-for-ut3.html

Also includes plenty of screenshots (it's after the text ;) ) for comparison. You can see quite obviously why it should always be used in UT3, including things like FragBU servers!

If I made any factual mistakes there, let me know. I'm not an expert on the way UE3 and Bloom works, but the information there is what I could gather so far.

I'll have to try those settings out.
I messed with it for a little while and didn't find satisfactory values, then forgot what the defaults were and noticed there wasn't a button to revert back, so I uninstalled the thing and got back to playing the game.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
All right, I've checked out the custom postprocessing class way, and it is in fact inferior to Blossom. The reason lies within a single option: bUseWorldSettings. If it's true, then any option you select in the postprocess class will be outright ignored and the game will show you the settings from each particular volume. If it's false, then those settings are applied to each volume, destroying the distinction between them. So on one hand your work is futile because you end up with stock bloom anyway, on the other - the game looks just like with bloom completely disabled, since the atmosphere of the map is ruined (everything looks greenish-brown again, since as it was explained in the tutorial I just liked to, each volume has different colour effects - that means things like Necropolis, which has algae-green tinting, loses it entirely). However, custom postprocess does allow you to manually make everything more colourful and adjust the bloom level, but once again: it's global. Those settings will be used in every single map in every single zone. In fact, this is most jarring when you go underwater - there is absolutely no difference between being there and on land except for physics. And the fact that water surface disappears somewhere.

Blossom works differently. It neither follows the Level Designer's settings blindly, neither forces the settings on each and every zone. Instead, it scales the values. That way when you're underwater, you will still get appropriate blurred and tinted vision and the individual colour of each level is preserved.

Bottom line: Blossom is better for offline uses. No question there. However, you should create a custom postprocess file for online play, especially since hitting enemies online is usually more important than the looks.