How do you aim a spotlight/searchlight?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Unless you want to learn more about Unreal then you really need to then just add a SpotLight (it's under Class=>Light section). It'll have an arrow. Rotate it and you'll be able to aim it where ever you want.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Last time I played around with those was a long time ago so I may not remember this rightly /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif.
In each little window in the editor you have menu options (click the little down arrow if they aren't showing). Under one of them is something called actor radii view. I think this will turn on the directional arrow for search/ spotlights but I am not sure. It maybe you have to align them by hand looking into the dynamic lighting view(view of your level lower left, set to dynamic). In this case click on the light, and use the rotation tools like you would on any other brush. Be careful not to have anything else selected.
Hope that helps.

NutWrench

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
Thanks!
Switching on the Radii view did it. I just couldn't see the HUGE circles because I was zoomed in too close and the Lightradius value I had set was too big.
--Nut

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Bizzare, Wanderer is right about the class version of spot havin an arrow. I can't get Radii view to show me the arrow for a light set manually to spotlight and yet there seems to be no difference in the properties that I can detect. Is there a property somewhere that causes a directional arrow to show up in UnrealED? This would be especially relevant if you were creating your own objects which need an alignment.
Obviously certain items have an arrow and an alignment(like PlayerStarts).

IXNAY Found it under Advanced>bDirectional doh! simple selection shows arrow and radii view does distance.

[This message has been edited by Githianki (edited 12-01-1999).]