UE1 - UT RealisticShockwaveEffect Actor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jun 28, 2005
Jamaica, mon! Hahaha!
Is it possible for someone to make a RealisticShockwaveEffect actor for Unreal Tournament?

I'd imagine that its mesh would need to be a sheet, shaped like a quickly-expanding ring with a constant or slightly increasing thickness (the difference between outer and inner radii would need to be either the same or increasing). I would recommend that the ring's thicknesses go no higher than 8 Unreal units. The texture effect would be a similar concept as the "Fake Backdrop" setting. First of all, its actual texture would need to be invisible. I think that whatever is behind it would appear from each camera's perspective (e.g. player, spectator, etc.) as a separate and slightly-distorted view. This view would need to: be constantly focusing on the center of the explosion effect (independent of the viewing angles of its viewers), have a slightly lower field of view angle from its viewers' cameras (this creates the distortion), have a hidden weapon setting, have no cross hair setting, and have no H.U.D.(Heads-up display). Finally, this distorted view would need to be behind anything in the cameras' views (weapon, crosshair, H.U.D., etc.), and not include anything in between it and the cameras looking at it.

I haven't learned much about Unreal Scrypt so I'm requesting that someone make this for me, please. If you want, I will include your user name (or whatever you want) in all projects that I add it to. Also, it would be great if you make some projectiles that had this as an added explosion effect. If you want, you may include it in a mod with u. and .int files in it (maybe even an .ini file). Naturally, you may put it anywhere (you coded it, right?).

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
or you could simply use a Water wave Texture sprite so they look like realistic wave explosions as in Boderlands 2.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
This is in the neighborhood of what you want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0s-7efbqrA
It's part of a Christmas monster pack I released today on my forum. You can get the source for this from the monster's class (caroler) and use it however you like if you want. The effect is really easy to do with a couple of minor setup lines.
In this use she has a 'sonic scream' attack 20% of the time. If you are close by it damages you as the shockwave passes through.
Release thread: http://www.forum.unrealtournament.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=345
Download without registration. The entire project (aside from the model import lines and obviously the models) is all my code so you can do whatever you want with it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2005
Jamaica, mon! Hahaha!
Thanks — that is some fine work. It gets close to what I'm talking about, but it is a textured sphere. What I am talking about is a texture-less distortion of the camera's vision, or a second camera view taking partial-overlapping priority over the player/spectator's camera. It does not even need a three dimensional mesh. It looks like warping of vision. Here is the best example that I can find for now.
_47480955_explosion1_copy.jpg