how too get more pll in ut3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
I hope the expansion brings a lot of players, because everything aside I do enjoy playing UT3 (and more people to download my maps!)

I hope the expansion focuses the gameplay / story around a Tournament again (as the title, and all previous versions, suggest) and a new UI to go with it.
That would get me excited again.

Otherwise, I'll wait patiently for UT4 and continue making maps for enjoyment ;)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I hope the expansion brings a lot of players, because everything aside I do enjoy playing UT3 (and more people to download my maps!)

I hope the expansion focuses the gameplay / story around a Tournament again (as the title, and all previous versions, suggest) and a new UI to go with it.
That would get me excited again.

Otherwise, I'll wait patiently for UT4 and continue making maps for enjoyment ;)

I do wonder if they even can turn the game back into a tourney with this expansion, the War theme has really been integrated into all aspects of UT3, the maps, the player models, using "factions" and the like, it seems it would be quite a task to take all this and turn it back into the torney format.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
I do wonder if they even can turn the game back into a tourney with this expansion, the War theme has really been integrated into all aspects of UT3, the maps, the player models, using "factions" and the like, it seems it would be quite a task to take all this and turn it back into the torney format.

Not really... The campaighn could have been setting up for the Toruny giveing reasons for people to join and such New arenas made by the battles in the war. Competitors getting the chance to kick the liveing daylights out of captured Necris.

The campaighn should have ended with every team getting a reason to join the tourny.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Does anyone think that the learning curve in this game has anything to do with it ? new players get owned and then quit and go back to call of duty bc its easy to kill ppl.

Besides learning shoddy hit detection? The game does not have a a step learning curve.

If id go back to COD4 it would be because of superior singleplayer, achivments and unlocks and customizing actually making a diffrence.

So it's about time we started trying to fix what we have found to be wrong and thats player numbers. If epic wont advertise it might be up to us to.

Player numbers is not the problem they are merly the symptom of the problem...

Only Epic can fix the downward spiral the franchise currently is in noone else can...

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Totally disagree. The only measure that matters is can you find a game that you enjoy when you want to play. If you can, obsessing about whether a game is "dead" or how many players makes the game "not dead" is the activity of someone looking to be unhappy.

Not at all, it's the activity of someone wondering where the hell everyone is and wondering what has happened to the Unreal community.
If I see low player numbers, a handful of servers and a community that's tearing the product to peices then my interest and loyalty in the game is going to be tested and I'm going to start asking questions.
I can say a game is dead because that's how I observe it, it's not obsessing over anything at all, it's just being informed that draws me to this conclusion.
You see it here on the forums, those die hard fans refusing to believe the games popularity is diminishing by the day, those who flat out feel they've been kicked in the bollocks and a handful who just sit on the fence and wonder what the hell is going on.
I think you'll find that far too many people have moved on unfortunately.

Lruce

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
My issue is still scalability. I just got left 4 dead (released long after UT3), and it runs much better on my system than ut3 does. As of the last two weeks, I've played it more.

We used to LAN UT pretty hardcore, and now half the guys who would be willing to pack their machines up once a week to play UT, don't even own UT3, because they have systems lesser than mine.

Even on great systems, the graphics are almost so detailed, that they lose something for me. I get immersed in Unreal, UT, BF2142, BF2, L4D, and even most of the Quake games. They aren't insanely detailed, and realistic, but the graphics are smooth enough, that I love them, and I don't notice them, so I am not constantly reminded I'm "playing a game." I think since this last generation of games, mostly Quake 4, and UT3 (with Doom 3 being somewhere in between) Excess detail is taking away from the appeal of the graphics to me.

This is what's killing PC gaming. I actually sucked it up and played some Halo 3 to bond a bit with my 14 year old cousin, on the controller, and it was actually pretty enjoyable. Nice not having to worry about frame drops, or graphical detail...

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
About half the people on BUF are wrong and don't know what they're talking about? Sounds about right :).
lol?

So instead of admitting that some of the most dedicated Unreal players in the Unreal community are leaving the game, you insult their opinions instead by saying they're wrong and "don't know what they're talking about"? Man if that isn't the dumbest thing I've heard from you yet. No amount of smiley faces in the world can cover up that arrogance. :) :) :) :) :) :)

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com

To me this whole War theme is (or should be) just a sideline story, then it's back on with the tourney..

Plus I don't think it matters much if it "fits" because, well, UT3 pretty much disregarded the previous games anyway. (they may as well called it Unreal War, would have been more fitting for what it's about - certainly no tournament :doh:)

Anyway.. I assume Malcolm would be the new Xan equivalent.. or probably that Necris dude he was aligned with from the cutscenes

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I don't think it was well recived, it got good to ok review scores, yes, but honestly, i don't trust review scores anymore, just look at GTA4 on the PC, user reviews are practically castrating it, forums and game blogs all over the net are alite with people complaining about that game, yet it has a near endless parade of near perfect review scores from the big gaming sites.. i think good reviews are for sale thease days, Midway just didn't do enough online advertising on thease sites to secure a 90+ score :rolleyes::lol:

Beeing active on several other (not Unreal related) gaming boards in the days of UT3's Demo and release, what i saw was very far from a good reception, people either didn't care, or they where complaining about everything from "the graphics sux" to "more of the same, yawn" "this is a Console game" and "the game is just the demo with more maps, screw this", plus many more.

And things where hardly any better here, as soon as people found out the game was just like the demo, even this place was hardly what you'd call "UT3 freindly" ;)

This game has never had an online presense, even in the beginng player counts where abysmal, i remember how people here where trying to come up with excuses as to why it was so dead, how it must be because the students had their finals and things would pick up after that! how people where probably getting it for X-Mas and things would pick up after the 25'th! that people probably got the Orange box instead, but people would soon turn their attention to UT3 and all would be well! for allmost 6 months people where trying to come up with reasons why the players wheren't there, and clinging on to the hope that things would change, all whilst dancing around the obvious elephant in the room, that people wheren't playing because people didn't care or didn't like it.

Honestly though, i think the game got exactly what it deserved, it was neither ready or done, even a whole year later it still feels like a beta as no significant effort has been put into saving it (3 patches that merely fixed bugs and a 3 map mappack that wasen't even done was never going to save this game), and ok, it has competent gameplay, but Epic has been making UT games for 10 years now, so you just can't expect people to get excited over them getting the balance of the same 10 weapons right, it doesen't work that way, that was the bare minimum of what we expected of the game.

The only new thing it gave us was the War-themed SP campaign (and Gamespy, i guess, woot..), and nobody likes it, at most you will find a few who don't outright hate it (most people do look at it with disgust or disbelief though), but nobody thinks it adds anything valuable to the game, and they spend hell knows how much of their alloted dev-time making the thing, and the rest of the game is all the poorer for it.. in every other way it just removes things, it removed gametypes, alot of mod support, it totally nerfed Instant Action, it gave us a worse server browser, a worse UI, a total lack of graphical settings, the netcode is wonky as hell, it still has crashbugs with certain hardware, it removes control over many gameplay options, there is barely any customization to be done (not even the crosshairs), and to top it all off, even the graphics where a letdown and people wonder what happened to thouse crisp textures and high detail models we saw in promotions of the game.

What the hell happened to Epic's mantra of "Bigger and better!", or did that only apply to the GoW series?

The way i see it, you've got two options when making a game if you want to succeed:

1) Make something new, something fresh that will grab our attention.

2) Tread old ground, but make it worth our while, make it bigger and better, polish it to a mirror shine, make it quallity! or find ways to innovate the gameplay.

UT3 does neither, its not new, and its certainly neither bigger or polished in any way, nor is it innovative, its just UT, only this time it comes with lots of issues, hangups, and problems, and only half the optional extras, its like buying the super lightened sports version of a car that has no luxuries, only to find it drives slower than the standard model.

Ok, i'm clearly just ranting/venting here, i admit it, guildty as charged, but i'm in a rotten mood tonight.. (my newyear's eve just got flushed due to illness, grumble grumble).

I agree with everything you said. WarTourist's post is unfortunate. Even though he left Epic, he still seems to have the "you guys have no idea what you're talking about!" mentality where people point out problems countless times and they are never fixed because Epic ignores them. I really wish that we could have UT3 get UT99 levels of polish, but I think the reality is that Epic is more interested in making money nowadays than releasing a finished game. Gears of War 2 is also extremely buggy so its on the console side too. I used to consider Epic one of the best developers out there..funny how things change.

UT fans just need something to hope for. It could be as simple as Epic admitting that the expansion has a UI or fixes the demoguy bug. Anything that could possibly start building up excitement for the new game.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
lol?

So instead of admitting that some of the most dedicated Unreal players in the Unreal community are leaving the game, you insult their opinions instead by saying they're wrong and "don't know what they're talking about"? Man if that isn't the dumbest thing I've heard from you yet. No amount of smiley faces in the world can cover up that arrogance. :) :) :) :) :) :)
Is it insulting?

A great deal of people that still hang around BuF joined the community during UT2003/UT2004. for the most part, UT2004 is the only game they've ever known in the series, and only some amount of them know what it was like when it first launched. It makes nothing but sense that these people wouldn't like UT3. Is that somehow shocking?

The UT community has always fluctuated A TON after each game release. People in the Unreal community left after UT came out (wasn't what they wanted, UI sucked, server browser sucked, weapons nerfed, maps retarded, blahhhhhh). A bunch of the UT community left when UT2003 came out (wasn't what they wanted, UI sucked, server browser sucked, weapons were nerfed, ghey movements added in, blahhhhhh). A bunch of the UT2003 community left when UT2004 came out (wasn't what they wanted, UI sucked, server browser was retarded, all populated servers were demo servers, adding stupid vehicles, game balance ruined, blahhhhh). And now what we are witnessing is probably the most out of character situation for the UT community: people are sticking around this time.

I don't know what changed between these previous releases and now, but in previous games when people didn't like it, they stopped playing it and went somewhere else. Maybe BU has just collected gamers that like a wider variety of games, or just a more varied community that enjoys playing games of all types together, but this is something I haven't witnessed since the green boards on PU.

I don't think it's a big deal that people are sticking around. I like having lots of different types of people in the community and lots of different games that people enjoy being talked about and played together. I think that is part of what makes our community great. But it's also silly to think that everyone is going to love and adore every new game. Frankly, the reaction on here to UT3 neither surprises me, nor tells me anything about the state of UT3.

As to whoever said that Epic is the only one who can fix UT now, that is completely untrue. The state of UT3 is partially of our own making as well. Who wants to play a game that is not only whined about on the official forums like crazy, but that EVERY SINGLE THREAD ABOUT THE GAME on the largest fan site for that game is ALSO whined about? It doesn't take supreme knowledge to find BU, there are plenty of links here from Epic's forums. And people who are not die hard UT'ers have read both of our message boards to determine whether the game was worth sticking with or not. All of us to some degree have given the impression that UT3 is a supreme failure in every way and that there is no use playing it.

And before anyone chimes in with "casual gamers don't read forums", you're wrong. Casual gamers READ forums, they just don't participate in them. The only people who commonly don't read forums are the people that are never going to play the game online, and even a great deal of them do for information/downloads for mods and such.

I'm not going to sit here and say UT3 is perfect and has no problems, because it would be untrue. But I do think it's silly to label a game as a failure because of a poll of people who mostly played and enjoyed UT2004.

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Half the people on BUF are wrong and don't know what they're talking about? Sounds about right :).

Rofl. Are you kidding me?

I started with UT3 and I think its garbage. The UI portrays a piece of ****, and its no wonder half the people quit before they even played a game.

With a view like that (I know you no longer work with/for them) it's no wonder Epic failed with this game. How about being more realistic? The game is good, but many simple flaws kept people from playing and - thus - calling it garbage. Fix those flaws and you may have a winner! Unfortunately with views like yourself it'll never happen, so I'll start the shoveling on Epic's grave. Remember that little saying "The customer is always right"? They are.

PS: This is coming from someone who plays the game daily, and probably more than 99% of the people on this forum (both competitively and public games). See xfire profile...

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
As to whoever said that Epic is the only one who can fix UT now, that is completely untrue. The state of UT3 is partially of our own making as well. Who wants to play a game that is not only whined about on the official forums like crazy, but that EVERY SINGLE THREAD ABOUT THE GAME on the largest fan site for that game is ALSO whined about? It doesn't take supreme knowledge to find BU, there are plenty of links here from Epic's forums. And people who are not die hard UT'ers have read both of our message boards to determine whether the game was worth sticking with or not. All of us to some degree have given the impression that UT3 is a supreme failure in every way and that there is no use playing it.

And before anyone chimes in with "casual gamers don't read forums", you're wrong. Casual gamers READ forums, they just don't participate in them. The only people who commonly don't read forums are the people that are never going to play the game online, and even a great deal of them do for information/downloads for mods and such.

I agree with the comment about the 2k3/2k4 crowd having no idea what they are talking about. If you can't see why 2k* gameplay is broken on a fundamental level then good for you I guess, but most people that play UT like using more than Shock Rifle.

I think people are entitled to the truth about the games they buy. The truth about UT3 is that the gameplay is great, but it is a very buggy and broken game. People should know this before they plop down there $20 to buy the game.

If someone were to look up Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3, or any Valve game, they are going to find nothing but praise and how much people love the game. There will be posts about bugs and game issues, but it will mostly be positive. In UT3's case, it is a fun game, but the games problems are a deal breaker for many people, and there are many others that feel this way. Most of the threads they find are going to be on game issues because there are so many.

And hey, I still play UT3, but I can't recommend it to anyone without letting them know that it has a lot of problems. I still show up to FragBU every week, and no one is ever playing, just me JohnDoe and occasionally a few others. I can't remember the last time we had more than 5 players in the server. People are just fed up at this point.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, like I said, I can't sit here and claim UT3 is perfect :) I do think there is more interesting things to talk about than how awful the game is in every thread, though (and it's hard to argue that it doesn't somehow get brought up in nearly every thread in this forum)

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
So instead of admitting that some of the most dedicated Unreal players in the Unreal community are leaving the game, you insult their opinions instead by saying they're wrong and "don't know what they're talking about"?

Who's not admitting anything? Some dedicated Unreal players don't like UT3 and have left the game. They get it. They're rational consumers. The ones who don't like UT3 and HAVEN'T left the game are the ones who are broken in my opinion :).

It's really cool of you to come into the forums and insult the community like that. :)

In my book disagreeing with your opinion isn't the same as insulting you, but honorable men may disagree (oops, did I insult you again?). :)

predictable i_hax rant

You and I will never see eye to eye on this so I'm happy for you hate a game you play

I'd normally recommend doing something with your time that you enjoy, but to each his own :).

As usual we've all wound back to the very same point. A handful of you feel bitching on forums accomplishes something. A handful of you feel that by savaging the game at every opportunity you're helping something, somewhere. A handful of you believe that if someone disagrees with your point of view, you're being insulted. A handful of you believe a million plus selling, 80s metacritic, obscenely profitable game is a failure.

We'll have to agree to disagree on all those points. :)

Last edited:

i_hax

Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
You and I will never see eye to eye on this so I'm happy for you hate a game you play

I said it's garbage from a new player point of view. UT3 is like a delicious chocolate cake iced in ****, if you're brave enough to get past that you'll have a good time.

I think the game is great, because I have worked past all the flaws and (basically) ignore them at this point. The problems arise when you try to draw a new player in who is not interested in using the console, the .ini's, or IRC to find games. This is where the game crashes and burns. It does not welcome new players at all - when you need the .ini to do simple things like change the crosshair or create keybinds, it doesn't really help. Half the possible players probably quit the minute they started it up and were expected to log-in to Gamespy...

Anyways, my main point was to admit problems don't ignore them. How are you to improve anything if you think it's great right off the bat?

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Who's not admitting anything? Some dedicated Unreal players don't like UT3 and have left the game. They get it. They're rational consumers. The ones who don't like UT3 and HAVEN'T left the game are the ones who are broken in my opinion :).

In my book disagreeing with your opinion isn't the same as insulting you, but honorable men may disagree (oops, did I insult you again?). :)

I'd normally recommend doing something with your time that you enjoy, but to each his own :).

As usual we've all wound back to the very same point. A handful of you feel bitching on forums accomplishes something. A handful of you feel that by savaging the game at every opportunity you're helping something, somewhere. A handful of you believe that if someone disagrees with your point of view, you're being insulted. A handful of you believe a million plus selling, 80s metacritic, obscenely profitable game is a failure.

We'll have to agree to disagree on all those points. :)

Man you were so excited in that interview with Morgan Webb and I thought you were awesome. What happened? :(

EDIT: Word of advice, I'd stop posting now because you're making yourself look even worse.

i_hax

Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i_hax weren't you that little prick who was always using bots to cheat in the UT2004 instagib servers? Ive played with you many times, think you even posted some videos of yourself botting on youtube....

Yes, that would be me. Just ask JD, boots, xellos, jade, thelegacy, or any of the other players that consistently beat me in hitscan and duels. :D

Honestly, I have played 2k4 but only the few months before UT3 (it was my first FPS'er). I can aim, though, and have been globally banned in 2k4 instagib - and unbanned because they had no proof, by our very own friend here Jeff Morris!:D

Last edited: