Inf's version of bunnyhopping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
Maybe there should be three kinds of going prone:

(I) Double-tap forwad -> leap forward into prone; uses stamina and makes quite a bit of noise.
(II) Double-tap backward -> drops to knees, then forward to prone in one quick movement. Doesn't use stamina, but makes some noise.
(III) Toggle prone key -> Deliberately moves from standing to crouching to prone without using stamina and making very little noise

I also think that if one hits the toggle-prone key while running, type (I) prone or a more violent version of type (II) prone should occur. When walking, type (II) occurs. When crawing, a the second half of type (III) could occur.

Different types of getting up could be implemented as well. If run is activated, and the player is moving forward when jump, crouch, or toggle prone is hit (all get the player up off of the ground), a stamina consuming, noisy, but quick lurch will get the player up and moving in a hurry. If walk mode is on, and the same situation occurs, the slower but less noisy and less stamina consuming get-up-motion happens. If the player isn't moving at all and wants to get up, a slow, deliberate, quiet, and non-stamina draining movement is used.

This method requires no extra keys to be bound, and is dependant on what the player wants to do. If a player wants to hit the dirt while running forward at full tilt, they're gonna hit it pretty fast and pretty hard. If the player just wants to go prone to get ready to snipe or sneak through some area, it can be done quietly and without draining stamina. If a player wants to get up in a hurry and run for better cover, it can be done at a cost but very quickly.

I too have seen the proners that drop as soon as they see an enemy, and I'm not sure an animation even plays. It seems to go from standing in one frame to prone in the next. Hardly realistic, if you ask me.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

Dracil

First Poster of new INF forums
Jan 14, 2000
Taiwan, now in UC Berkeley
A bug with going prone may also help. Currently, if you double-tap forward to go prone (maybe backwards too, but i hit forward more often) you can't get up with the toggle prone key. You must use the jump key or hit the toggle crouch key twice. Doing the crouch is slower, but using the jump uses stamina = to jumping.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
The US Army trains its soldiers to go prone with full equipment, one drill is called "3 second rushes" simply put you run for 3 seconds then dive to the ground and back up again repeat, repeat, repeat. Mainly its intended for use during assualts on enemy positions. Its also used as punishment by the DI's, nothing like having some non-conformist do those for a few hours over broken ground, usually up and down a hill:)

Also its SOP in the US Army when caught out in the open to go prone and put your pack in front of you. About anything a bullet hits will alter its course and sometimes just a few degrees is enough to save your life.

Personally I'll trade skinned elbows and knees and a few bruises for a bullet wound anyday. Oh yeah your supposed to use the butt of your rifle to help break your fall, might be a problem with these new bullpup's.

Also keep in mind that someone with a bad connection will still affect what you see regardless of how good yours is. Especially if someone is losing packets. Always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.