Story :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This is a story about what actually happened after the UT2003 intro. This is just a piece of fan fiction though. You could review the intro before reading this, although it's not required.

As soon as Malcolm stepped through the portal, he was again surrounded by a lot of red sprites. He couldn't say that it was unpleasant for him though. It does get boring after a while, but it's good training after all. Being famous and rich isn't a bad thing too, those announcers aren't right. If they tried to go in here, maybe they saw how fun it is. Malcolm took out his Assault Rifle and ordered <...>. Then while jumping down from a snowy cliff, a place that the Respawner sent him to, he looked around. "Ah, yes, that's quite near to the goal," he thought. As he took a few holographic Adrenaline pills, he wondered about how all of this looks to those who are spectating. Surely the pills look realistic, but what would warriors do with a huge pill? "It's half the size of me," Malcolm thought. He took out his trusty Translocator and translocated a few meters further to the ball. A nice dodge, and another teleport, just over a Rocket Launcher. Malcolm thought that Gorge and his team mates from Alleria Penal Colony, Frostbite and Ambrosia, shouldn't be too unsatisfied with this arena. "At least Frostbite should be good - it's his atmosphere after all", smiled the long-term Tournament champion. Actually, they all should be satisfied with this, after all, they come from a Penal Colony that is set in an icy world. "Sure is chilly here for me." He took a Rocket Pack and teleported a few times, then touched a few holographic health vials. The numbers at the upper part of his special glasses, near a blue plus sign, turned into 120. He then saw a few Juggernauts that were closer to the ball than he was. "Damn, now I'll have to use firepower!"
"I'm all alone here!" shouted Malcolm to his portable radio device. "Blue team on offence!" heard Malcolm the voice of the announcer. His HUD glasses reported "Frostbite has the ball!" and "The enemy has the ball, recover it!". "Time for a showdown," he thought and took out his Rocket Launcher, dodged and teleported again. Frostbite noticed him and threw the ball somewhere, took out a Lightning gun and tried to damage Malcolm. "Fool," thought Malcolm, "the ball isn't getting nowhere now!" But then another strike of lightning almost touched him. It was Gorge there. "Woah! So that's what they're up to!" thought Malcolm and fired a rocket at Ambrosia. "Blue pass completed!" said the announcer. Malcolm's shot was successful, and Ambrosia flew away trying to get her breath back. Frostbite took out his Shock Rifle and sent a Shock Ball to the spot Malcolm was going to be in a second. Malcolm noticed that and dodged to the right, loading his rockets to fire at Frostbite. Ambrosia tried to take him out with her Rocket Launcher. Frostbite tried to shock him, but it was no use. Malcolm shot an unsuccessful rocket, then turned around to see Gorge running away with the ball. Malcolm took out his Translocator and tried to teleport, ignoring the two foes behind. He saw a rocket flying near him, but then suddenly a flash of light appeared just behind him. He was thrown away and saw holographic blood flowing through his armour. He checked his glasses and saw that he has 89 health left after the shock combo. "If I only had a hitscan weapon!.." desperately thought Malcolm. But then he saw both Brock and Lauren on a hill just in front of Gorge. But Lauren tried to protect the leader instead and tried to make Frostbite crispy with her Lightning gun. The shot was very unsuccessful, and Malcolm was starting to get mad.
"Gorge! Get that ball carrier, quick!" shouted Malcolm, but saw that Brock was already up to hunting Gorge with his Shock Rifle. The Shock Ball didn't get anywhere though, but Ambrosia's rocket and Frostbite's shock ball flew extremely close to him. He fired a rocket at Gorge. Unfortunately, the rocket that was meant for Malcolm hurt Lauren, and another one threw Malcolm to the air. His health was 44. Lauren said "Roger!" and fired a lightning bolt at Gorge. But unfortunately enough Malcolm couldn't avoid the blast from Frostbite's Shock Combo. Malcolm saw himself turning into giblets, his legs being hit by two rockets and a HUD announcement "Frostbite drew first blood!". Then he was dragged away from the firefight by the Respawner, but heard a satisfying announcement of "Blue fumbled!" and his HUD reported "Gorge was wasted by Brock's Shock Core."
As Malcolm tried to translocate back to the fight, he wondered about why the Juggernauts were so strong. "Red team on offence!", "Brock has the ball!". "Surely enough, they were gene boosted so their strength grew quite a lot. Still, that's not enough. I myself am only a half-human, thanks to FenTech. Still, you need skills. I guess Prisoner 849 helped them quite a lot," thought Malcolm while taking a Rocket Launcher and a pack of rockets. He smiled as he remembered those days when he first heard the unreal story about Prisoner 849. He was only a beginner marine in the Unified Military Services. He didn't have much time to think though, as soon he saw Brock and Lauren. His HUD warned: "Incoming pass!", and he grabbed the ball. "Red pass completed!", but unfortunately he also saw "Lauren rode Ambrosia's rocket into oblivion." and heard "Oh yeah!". He quickly put the ball into his Ball Launcher and ran towards Brock. Ambrosia teleported just near them, and Frostbite was only somewhat further. "This is going to be hot!" thought Malcolm. He quickly tossed the ball back to Brock and heard another "Red pass completed!". "Still 0 score", sighed the champion. Ambrosia fired a rocket at them, and Malcolm saw that it was indeed a dangerous situation - they entered a small pathway and were very close to each other, a great target for rockets. "How could we do such a foolish thing?" he thought and retaliated with his own rocket, doing a fine walldodge on the way. But it was too late. His hitpoint meter showed 59. "At least there's health here", thought Malcolm and took two health packs and a Super Shield Pack. He watched how Ambrosia did a fine side dodgejump, which still didn't help. Malcolm hid from her by dodging near a wall for protection, and loaded a few rockets waiting for his prey. It wasn't long before Ambrosia fell for this trap. The HUD showed "You killed Ambrosia" and "Ambrosia rode Malcolm's rocket into oblivion". He shouted "Burn Baby!" and double dodged forward, just to see Frostbite coming his way with his infamous Shock Rifle. Just as he was about to teleport, Brock threw the ball to him. "Red pass completed!" Brock translocated forward. Malcolm shortly passed the ball to Brock. But then he saw that they were surrounded - Frostbite behind, Gorge in front. "Jumped from a wolf to a bear", sighed Malcolm and took out his Rocket Launcher. Gorge tried to shoot someone with his Lightning gun, but got confused - he hated one more, but the other one has the ball! So the lightning bolt stroke the field between both of them. Malcolm thought he could translocate further than Brock was, but he totally forgot awesome Frostbite powers. Another combo hit him, and he had only 70 shield and 90 health left. More than Brock though. He tossed a Translocator beacon, but was too confused to translocate in time. He heard Frostbite shooting from a Minigun. "Phew, no more combos!" Gorge backdodgejumped and decided that his team interests were more important than personal ones, but still couldn't aim at Brock. Then Frostbite managed to shoot correctly at Malcolm, but as he was just translocated, all the damage was absorbed by the spawnshield. Just as he managed to translocate further than Brock was running, Gorge hit Brock. But Malcolm got an Incoming Pass signal. Soon enough the announcer said "Red pass completed!". "Poor Brock, he won't have even 30 hitpoints now..." thought Malcolm. He was constantly being hit by Frostbite's Minigun, but the Ball Launcher's quantum healing core did the job fairly well. "How it won't," thought Malcolm, "if it uses the power of my Translocator!" The champion jumped, but appeared to be a great target for Gorge's Lightning Gun. Only 12 shield left. Brock then decided to keep those two busy and took out his Shock Rifle, but Frostbite was out of ammo anyway and was forced to use his Rocket Launcher. But the worst thing here was Ambrosia that just appeared in front of Malcolm. She took out a Lightning Gun and fried his shield off, leaving him with 32 health. Malcolm saw it was no go, so shot the ball forward and tried to translocate. He could even see the goal! Ambrosia missed the second shot. Malcolm didn't throw the beacon as far as he wanted and dropped the ball, but tried to compensate that with dodgejumps. They saved him from the third Ambrosia's shot. Of course, just flying forward wouldn't be a good idea, so Malcolm turned back and shot a rocket. Just them he saw Brock turning into gibs, HUD displaying "Brock rode Frostbite's rocket into oblivion" and Ambrosia missing him again. "Ownage!" shouted Frostbite. He took out his Translocator again, leaving Ambrosia time to aim. But she wasn't a good sniper and missed again. Malcolm took the ball and backed off trying to shoot at the goal, but just towards the three Juggernauts with Ambrosia in front. But Malcolm managed to shoot the ball the last second! Ambrosia was too slow to stop him from shooting. Malcolm finally rode Ambrosia's lightning, but still saw the ball flying just towards the goal... "Is that your best?!" shouted Ambrosia. But... The announcer said "Last Second Save!" and the hope was lost - no more mercenaries were around. Malcolm shot the ball too high. Malcolm was dragged out to his side of the arena. "So what was I thinking before? Oh, right. The times when NEG was just about to form. Good old times, I worked for the UMS." Malcolm took a Shock Rifle. "Then one of the guys in my group told me the story of Prisoner 849, also known as Carter Kolodenko. He retold all of his adventures on Na Pali. And how he started all of the mess... If it wasn't for Carter, then we wouldn't have been battling the Skaarj. That guy was really awesome, his survival skills were pretty good. He could tell how to shoot too. Just like his kid Frostbite now." "Blue team on offence!" "Ambrosia has the ball!" "So I should watch it. I bet he will become a champion too, sooner or later. Actually, Gorge is very powerful too. I guess he's another candidate to the champions." Malcolm was so unconcentrated that his translocator beacon hit a torch post and flew away, so he had to dodge forward. "At least this match doesn't affect anything. It's just a team game, not the last challenge. Still, we'd better win, or those ugly Juggernauts will get all the money." Malcolm took a Rocket Launcher and a Rocket pack and made a dodge, then translocated. "Actually ThunderCrash consists of almost only us, marines of the UMS force. After UMS was discarded, we had no choice than go and serve New Earth Government, those who were the new Terran strike force. Of course Terran Colonial Authority was there, but it's too peaceful there, not a place for marines." Malcolm translocated and entered the narrow passage just to see that the Super Shield Pack isn't spawned yet. "Damn! So where was I? Oh, so we joined the NEG, had some nice battles against the Skaarj and other fun stuff. Hmm, maybe I'll camp around and wait for the Shield. So, later on we got invited to the Liandri Grand Tournament and started fighting here." "Lauren was fatally enlightened by Gorge's Shock Beam." "Oh yeah!" "Eh, I still remember the start of the Tournaments. They had a really small selection of game types. Indeed, the first Grand Tournament featured nothing more but Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch. Nothing too fancy. Ooh, I see the ball carrier!" Malcolm shot a rocket at Frostbite, missed, shot another one, missed, shot yet another one and hit. Frostbite looked like near death, but his health was recharging. Brock entered the passage and started raining rockets on Frostbite too. Frostbite took a hologhaphic health icon, but it wasn't enough to survive Brock's rocket. "Blue fumbled!" "Frostbite dropped the ball!" Malcolm translocated just above the ball. "Red team on offence!" But then Ambrosia entered the choke point, although the shield didn't spawn yet. Malcolm tried to pass the ball to still hidden Brock, and was hit with a rocket while doing that. 88 health. Then Malcolm decided to suicide in favour of Brock. "Malcolm rode Ambrosia's rocket into oblivion!" "Ambrosia rode Malcolm's rocket into oblivion!" Malcolm felt dragged away again. But having 2 frags now. "Hmm. So the first Tournament champion was Green Marine. He was actually one of us, from the NEG marine force. So we all, marines, were happy about that. Not many races were fighting there though. Skaarj were not allowed as we were still in war with them." Malcolm took a Lightning Gun. "If I recall correctly, there were mostly humans. Were a few Necris, really odd guys, still give me the creeps. Others were either Marines, Commandos, Soldiers or just civilians. Of course marines were the best from them all. The final was Green Marine against Loque, a strange Necris, somehow very good at aiming. Phayder must have done something to him." "Brock was wasted by Gorge's Shock Core". "Useless." "Blue team on offence!" "Gorge has the ball!" "The enemy has the ball, recover it!" "Aww. Anyway, the arena was called Morbias, and even Loque couldn't avoid the blasts and grenades from Green Marine's Eightball Launcher. Later on the fights' popularity grew, and new game types were introduced, such as King of the Hill and DarkMatch. It was more fun then." "Blue pass fumbled!" "Blue team on offence!" "I remember the second Tournament too. The winner was Roan Terg. He's from Raw Steel, quite much like these Juggernauts here. He wasn't too smart, but that tournament was really brutal and only strength was needed. The finals were in Curse, Roan Terg vs Barktooth. Barkie's still around, hah hah. It was one brutal match, but Roan won, soon after he left Raw Steel." "Gorge rode Lauren's rocket into oblivion." "Blue fumbled!" "Red team on offence!" "Lauren has the ball!" "Five minute warning!" "Wee. Well, later on the Tournaments started to be really cool. We made ThunderCrash, new game types such as Gravity Match and Cloak Match were introduced. When I first got into a Gravity Match, the feeling was really unreal. Looks like you can touch the sky." "Red fumbled!" "Blue team on offence!" "Lauren was fatally enlightened by Ambrosia's Shock Beam!" "Ambrosia has the ball!" "That year the finalists were Magnus and Othello, my team mate. That was a good match in Sun Speak. Unfortunately Magnus was very powerful, no one knows who he is or where he went after the Tournament. Ooh, I see Ambrosia!" Malcolm killed her with two perfectly placed rockets and took the ball. "Blue fumbled!" "Red team on offence!" "Ambrosia rode Malcolm's rocket into oblivion." But it wasn't a lucky day for him, as Frostbite was waiting just around the corner and killed him with two rockets as well. "Red fumbled!" "Malcolm dropped the ball!" "Malcolm rode Frostbite's rocket into oblivion!" ..and Malcolm was carried back. "Blue team on offence!" "Now they're close! Have to get that ball. So, after those Tournaments I saw how Liandri added gametypes Marine Match and Terran Weapon Match. Those SpaceMarines were actually made by Axon, but Liandri bought it and it was the start of their Corrupt." Malcolm translocated to a Shock Rifle and dodgejumped off. "Three minutes remain!" "That year the winner was Geos Dryon. He was from Blood Reavers. Finals were at Stomp, the second finalist was Athena from Venom. The match wasn't too interesting, both kept camping, but Geos Dryon won." "Blue fumbled!" "Frostbite rode Lauren's rocket into oblivion." "Frostbite dropped the ball!" "Red team on offence!" "Brock has the ball!" "After that, the Liandri guys introduced Capture The Flag and Last Man Standing. CTF was a top watched gametype on Neurovision. That year Liandri introduced the Corrupt, their own team... So of course the finalists were Pariah and Xan Kriegor." "Two minutes remain!" "Red pass complete!" "Lauren has the ball!" "Pariah and Xan had the best AI around and were just as good at aiming... The arena was Liandri Central Core... Both robots just fooled around and Xan just gave up later." "Red pass complete!" "Brock has the ball!" "Lauren was fatally enlightened by Gorge's Shock Beam!" "That had to hurt!" "And since then, the Tournaments started to be extremely popular. The legendary tournament took place in 2293, where the finalists were... Yea, me and Xan Kriegor. In his spaceship Hyperblast. Strange that Xan forgot that he dumped some Shieldbelt and Health vial supplies in one part of the ship, so I just camped there and won. Ooh, I see Gorge!" "Gorge rode Malcolm's rocket into oblivion." "You killed Gorge." "And stay down!" "One minute remains!" "Brock rode Ambrosia's rocket into oblivion." "Oh my, I think I heard Ambrosia round the corner. There she... They.. are..." "Thirty seconds remain!" Malcolm shot one rocket, but it hit a torch post. Ambrosia retaliated with link gun projectiles. "20 seconds!" "Ten!" "Nine!" "Eight!" "Blue team on offence!" "Seven!" "Ambrosia has the ball!" "Six!" "Five!" "Four!" "Three!" "Two!" "One!" "Time's up!" The match was stopped - there was no overtime, as that match could last forever. Due to the score and the fact that the blue team had a Last Second Save, Malcolm, Brock and Lauren were declared winners and then attended another fight, featuring Gen Mo'Kai in Double Domination.

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
That's fantastic.
I searched for "Roan Terg" and brought me to this.

Thanks for writing this piece of art, a really nice story!

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Woah, that's an old post. Seems I loved walls of text :) But I do remember writing this, it's based on one Bombing Run match that I spectated and it did turn out quite impressive, thus the inspiration for this. Hmm, maybe I should put this on Fanfic.

Cadaver

Feb 9, 2011
I hope you write something about Roan Terg, Magnus, Green Marine and the other guys won the tournament in the past.

;)